Missing People In Ireland

Would signal that maybe it was a seasoned criminal who pulled the trigger (if that is what happened). He was probably on the phone to one of his lackies ASAP and within 60 minutes the body was moved and disposed. Then again I could just be watching too many movies.

They used triangulation to track the movements of the Omagh bombers. That was in 1998.

1 Like

that was UK technology at work, I doubt the micks had anything approaching that level of sophistication

6 Likes

A major fuck up by the guards. They focus on the potential that a wind blew him over a bridge and into the canal or Dodder which wasn’t even in his route home when half of Dublin’s scum were known to be in the area he disappeared at the time.

Looks that way. CCTV all along that route and one of his friends had to get footage from one of the banks on the route. Seems they made little effort in the first few days to investigate it as a crime.

Sure there was people disappearing weekly in that very area wasn’t there? :rollseyes:
Was listening to the news on the radio earlier, TodayFM introduced The Sun’s crime editor with the lead-in that “speculation is unhelpful”

I don’t think that’s true to be frank.

The only reason we know that he crossed the Canal is because of the CCTV at Haddington Rd which wasn’t reviewed for a week or so. For his normal route home, he absolutely was crossing both at some point, which is why the initial speculation focused here. Men “falling” into water is not an uncommon occurence.

The “he fell into the water” line was one that came up early on and persisted in the media since.

On some of the fuck ups;

• the man in black talking to Deely would have been visible before they cleaned up the coverage. In fact they had previously commented on it back in 2000 but they didn’t widely circulate the pictures. My thinking is that they did think it was suicide early on and didn’t want to set off loads of alarms in a nice part of Dublin about people hanging around the canals. Up until this year a lot of the media coverage of the case has been spotty in terms of detail. I had looked at the case a bit over the years and the media reporting could be quite confusing as to where Deely’s actual workplace was, with some reporting it as Haddington Road as that was a bank too. The narrative around the disappearance was quite confused I think
  • there could be a fuck up with the phone somewhere but I’m not sure. I’m not sure if it’s entirely accurate that the Omagh bombers were caught by this after the fact. I’m pretty sure they were tracing those calls already. I could be wrong but I think they could only trace a phone when an actual contact was made with another one or pinged off a mast. Supposedly his sister had rang him a couple of times over that weekend and it rang out, you’d imagine it could be traced at the time but he hadn’t even been reported missing at that stage
  • they were definitely lethargic with the CCTV, that seems to be a clear flaw in their investigation. But I do think they thought it was a case of suicide early on, and most cctv was wiped within 24 hours

Not sure what to think on the initial investigation. Seemed a bit presumptuous but it’s probably overblown how poor it was relative to normal practice. The first 24 hours really are crucial, look at that Corrie McKeague case in the U.K…

1 Like

Every time I get an RTE newsflash on the phone there is a flutter of anticipation that a body has been found in Chapelizod. Disappointed to note that the latest notification was concerned with a murder in Mayo

1 Like

Yeah, I get that, its the same with the dublin gangland thread, I get kind of excited when I see it bumped out of the blue

They’ve found a gun at the dig site.

1 Like

They’d find a gun in most overgrown fields around Dublin I’d imagine.

11 Likes

In fairness the cops have a much better record finding guns than people

now hopefully they can somehow find trevors body in or around the same spot

King Rhatt fits the bill here. 2 dead brothers.

Cc @mickee321

Would be one stupid killer who would bury the weapon next to the body!

Brian Rattigan?

He was only a pup in 2000. They are saying the suspect was in his 30s then and in his 50s now.

You are talking Irish criminals here. Not exactly Einstein’s.

Hes got away with it for 17 years

The cops are even more incompetent. Especially when it comes to missing persons.

He was 22 at the time and had already killed