More GGA shame part 15234322435676544

Meh, captain is a fairly meaningless role from my experience and it’s a way of avoiding potential hassle

Sure the young lads will say nothing. It’s the parents that would be talking. The selectors made a wise choice.

Waffle

I wonder how did Gerard Mulvihil find his way into that number? :thinking:

Leadership is never meaningless.

Sometimes it matters. Sometimes not as much.

Still everything stands.

Very true.

But lads on here were very happy to overlook the poorly sourced and misleading stats he used when it suited them. In this instance they are prepared to look the other way when the issues have been recognised by the governing body.

Again. Show us.

What are you referring too?

St. Michaels???

He could do no wrong when he was banging on about the rubby :joy::joy:

Kimmage is finished, has been banging a drum about drugs in rugby for a couple of years and produced nothing bar some hearsay from a former player. And now his big scoop is a both an internal row in a Galway GAA club.

A couple of things.

He had an interview with Lauren Benezech which was supposed to be some great insight into a culture problem. What were Benezech’s revelations? He had received a pain reduction injection in the 1990s and…rugby players had gotten bigger. Since the game had gone professional…

A while later Kimmage was tweeting out about Irish Sports Council’s drug tests and trying to claim it showed a lack of fucks by the rugby authorities that they weren’t near the top. The reality was that were just ISC paid for tests, decided by them on a risk based approach. The rugby bodies (World Rugby, Six Nations, IRFU, European Rugby) had in actual fact been paying for additional tests themselves to the ISC…far above everyone else. They were on a separate chart which Kimmage just ignored, as it suited his agenda.

Kimmage sees rugby as exactly like cycling. He decries anyone questioning his approach to it, he tries to tie this to the omerta in cycling. He ignores the huge differences in the sports in terms of organisation. I can get on board with a lot of the questions on rugby and doping, it would be utterly foolish to suggest that there aren’t many who try and take shortcuts. But his investigation on the subject has been really lazy and he has uncovered sweet fuck all. His insights into cycling came from being a cycling himself and understanding it…the sad fact is that David Walsh got a lot more plaudits for his cycling investigations because he went out there and did some good journalism.

2 Likes

A player who was there in the 1990s and can’t believe that lads who train all day have gotten bigger. :grin:

Kimmage is desperate to find some conspiracy at the top table i.e. the IRFU, a province or a club (I could see the latter being possible in somewhere like France tbf).

If Kimmage wants to do some good journalism on the topic he should look a big lower in the rugby pyramid. But he doesn’t seem to be arsed.

It was a long time from when Rough Ride was published to when cycling’s issues were so widely known in fairness. If there is a PED issue in rugby (I don’t think there is on a major scale) it could be a long time before if comes out

St Michaels? :neutral_face:

Then you have the opposite the coaches useless fucker of a son starting every game no matter what.

Hurlers on the bitch maybe?

Sex abuse

1 Like

I have it on very good authority that a real GAA club controversy/scandal is about to break on the east coast and will put the Athenry fiasco in the halfpenny place.

1 Like

I’ll take a PM.

I like Kimmage and to be fair he’s writing an article in his style on an interesting subject. There are no real winners here; but in saying that, for those of us who look after kids teams it would make you think twice about what you’d say or how you say it to the kids.
I help with u11’s and I’ve often gone one to one with the kids to give them encouragement but it would be in view on the pitch or walking to/from or in the team huddle at half time. I don’t sware or bawl a kid out of it but there’d be times you’d want to.
For what it’s worth, went through some messing when I played underage. One of the mentors had it in for my auld boy and by extension me. Made my time hell and it still pisses me off to this day. I’d let the parents know about it and in fairness to the father he stood up for me with that said mentor on a couple of occasions. It didn’t really stop but at least I had his backing. No letter writing to Croke Park in those days

1 Like

Sorry Kev, no idea what you’re on about