More shame for the travelling community

Hmmm. Well done on avoiding generalisations.

I don’t know Runt. I don’t have statistics either way but I wouldn’t read too much into it in reflecting on the people themselves as opposed to their circumstances. There are obvious links between poverty and crime. Poverty and deprivation are at the root of criminality problems for travellers and without making a concerted effort to improve the welfare of that group of people then we can’t be surprised when unsocial behaviour is a consequence. We seem to think that it’s a uniquely Irish problem we have with travellers and completely different to the plight of African Americans for example.

:clap:

Apparently the council spent €110,000 refurbishing the house. It must have been a hole in the ground when they started

[quote=“Rocko, post: 568224”]
Hmmm. Well done on avoiding generalisations.[/quote]
I think you’ll find I wholeheartedly embraced the generalisation because in my views, and I can only profess my own, I have yet to come across a traveller with any great degree of moral fibre or fortitude. I’m quite content to judge them on how I find them.

And you have a great degree of moral fibre is it?

Well I’ve yet to shit one someones grave, beat an old man for his few pounds, or terrorise an old couple living alone to name just three instances I know of first hand, so yea, I’m pretty ok I think.

Oh right, and only the traveller community carry out such acts?? If all travellers are accountable for the actions of some, should we not be held accountable for outrages carried out in the ‘settled’ community?? Is that not our failure?

Are you actually suggesting that travellers are a race Rocko?

When a member of the travelling community does me a good turn as non members have, ie ordinary decent folk then I’ll use my right to change my opinion. Until that happens, they can all go fuck my good man.

Not very moral, christian or decent of you. But you are only a Laois cunt :guns:

If they’re not a seperate ‘race’ or ethnic minority how are ye all defining them in this thread? Very few of them ‘travel’ these days.

They don’t keep figures for Irish Travellers in jail, but I googled it there and found a British study which said that between 0.5% and 1% of prisoners there were Irish Travellers.

There are estimated to be 85,200 in jail in England and Wales in total and an estimated total Traveller population of 25,000.
Therefore somewhere between 426 and 850 Irish Travellers are in prison in England and Wales. So somewhere between 1.8% and 3.4% of the population are CURRENTLY in prison.

The percentage in the normal population of 54 million is 0.15%. So Travellers are 12 times more likely to be in prison than the general population. Obviously these estimates could all be off but its fair to say its significant.

The bible says an eye for an eye, if you wish to take the christian element into it, never took you for the God fearing type however.

And if you wish to take it to the language of the gutter, then you my friend are nothing more than a knacker loving, intinerant defending, traveller sympathising, campfire stinking Limerick cunt.

Whatever about shooting travellers, this fella needs a good dose of cop the fuck on juice

Pavee Point spokesman Martin Collins said that while the incident was “shocking, it’s not surprising” and urged gardaí to bring the culprits to justice.

“Unfortunately it’s not unusual. It has happened before. I think it really indicates the lengths that some people will go to not to have Travellers live in what they regard as their estate or community.

“It reveals the level and depth of prejudice and racism that Travellers have to endure in this country.

But for that to be in any way fair of a comparison you’d have to compare the percentages of travellers in jail wit the very lowest socio economic grouping in terms of education/employment opportunities etc
It also seems to suggest that only a tiny minority of travellers are involved with criminality since only 1/2 pc of them are in jail
Have a look while yer at it at the percentage of blacks in American jails.

Rocko, if you were in a bar and for some reason you had to leave for a few minutes and had to leave your bag behind you.
There is a traveller and a man in a business suit sitting at the bar, which one of them would you ask to keep an eye on your bag?

No 0.5% of the Overall England and Wales prison population are travellers.
Thats 1.8% of the entire population of travellers at the lower end of the estimate.

Fair enough you have to compare them to other “poor” sections of society. But you could argue that it is a fair to say a traveller is more likely to commit a crime than a non-traveller.

There are marginalised in Ireland, but they certainly like it that way to a large extent.

:lol:

What if the traveller is wearing a suit?

They dont even wear suits to court, lets try keep this realistic.

:rolleyes:

Rathkeale travellera wear nothing but suits.