Moving Abroad

Would they be at this type of craic in Poland though?

That’s uncalled for, pal.

[QUOTE=“Tabby, post: 939133, member: 2142”]It is an interesting phenomenon though this severe self loathing irish people have. It’s unreal how much of it goes on and this forum is a good example of it. We’re constantly telling ourselves how useless and lazy and thick and greedy and whatever else we are as a people. I read a book recently called ‘nothing but the same old story - the roots of anti irish racism’ and none of the things that were said and written about us over the centuries is a tenth of what we say about ourselves.

Do other countries do this too? Maybe they do but the Americans, English and Aussies don’t anyway from my experience as the only other countries I’ve lived in.[/QUOTE]
It’s self depreciation to the nth degree I suppose, pal. The 3 countries you mentioned would have a large proportion of extremely self-confident people which in many ways is a great thing. They also have a massive lack of self-awareness and many of them are arseholes. It is an interesting topic though, bud but I couldn’t be arsed getting into a debate about it now.

Oh and I don’t self-loathe you bastard. :mad:

[QUOTE=“Tabby, post: 939133, member: 2142”]It is an interesting phenomenon though this severe self loathing irish people have. It’s unreal how much of it goes on and this forum is a good example of it. We’re constantly telling ourselves how useless and lazy and thick and greedy and whatever else we are as a people. I read a book recently called ‘nothing but the same old story - the roots of anti irish racism’ and none of the things that were said and written about us over the centuries is a tenth of what we say about ourselves.

Do other countries do this too? Maybe they do but the Americans, English and Aussies don’t anyway from my experience as the only other countries I’ve lived in.[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree more Tabby. Having just recently returned from a month in America, You articulated my thoughts exactly. I found after reading and listening to the same headlines over and over again in the media down through the years, reading message boards or forums etc that some of that negativity and cynicism can permeate people in general. Certainly for me anyway. When I was away my access to news, broadsheets, social media was nearly non existant and since then you’d have a more positive outlook on life. I know I am speaking through the lens of being away on a trip but Americans by and large have a very positive outlook. Even little things like body language and enthusiasm can rub off on you. Its a good and healthy way to be rather than to be down trodden, inferior and self loathing. They don’t seem to have the same hang ups, insecurities or need for affirmation. Maybe they do and they are better at disguising it but I found their outlook very refreshing and something I wish more people could buy into.

Yes, they are a miserable shower of bastards. I think the Irish are worse though.

Any of ye lads have experience of living in central Europe for a period of time and if so where was it and would ye recommend it? The job i’m in at the moment, there are a number of big European cities i could move to and do the job from there with the same company. I’m pretty tempted to do it while i’m young, if just for six months to experience a new culture. Only problem is i wouldn’t know anyone in the countries i’d be moving to and then you have the language barrier with some places too but the whole unknown element of adventure appeals to me. I’d be a big fan of Belgium from my brief time there on holidays so suspect Germany and Czech Republic would be in a similar vein. I like that they like beer so much.

Munich, Berlin, Madrid, Copenhagen, Prague i could go to any of these to work.

[QUOTE=“Tess Tickle, post: 1037970, member: 2269”]Any of ye lads have experience of living in central Europe for a period of time and if so where was it and would ye recommend it? The job i’m in at the moment, there are a number of big European cities i could move to and do the job from there with the same company. I’m pretty tempted to do it while i’m young, if just for six months to experience a new culture. Only problem is i wouldn’t know anyone in the countries i’d be moving to and then you have the language barrier with some places too but the whole unknown element of adventure appeals to me. I’d be a big fan of Belgium from my brief time there on holidays so suspect Germany and Czech Republic would be in a similar vein. I like that they like beer so much.

Munich, Berlin, Madrid, Copenhagen, Prague i could go to any of these to work.[/QUOTE]

We’re fast becoming the internets premier hurling, gridiron and emigration forum.

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1037978, member: 1517”][/QUOTE]

Why mate? You lived in Copenhagen?

No Tess. Know a guy that did & he recommended the place for similar reasons you fear moving. Very friendly people & language is not an issue as English is widely spoken. The women are serious too. Meant to be chilled out people but can party hard too.

I was there for a long weekend in recent years and loved it tbh but it’s expensive that’s the only thing.

Wages should reflect the cost of living?

Wages are stationary and negotiated year on year and moving to a different area has no relevance on it. Company would only see it as doing me a favour facilitating a change of scenary, i’ll be doing same role.

I was only in Berlin twice but I thought it was savage Tess. They all speak English there and the cost of living is well below here.

I’d give Prague a lash probably, though Copenhagen is supposed to be lovely. I’ve a friend out here for 2 years and he loves the place.

[QUOTE=“Tess Tickle, post: 1037970, member: 2269”]Any of ye lads have experience of living in central Europe for a period of time and if so where was it and would ye recommend it? The job i’m in at the moment, there are a number of big European cities i could move to and do the job from there with the same company. I’m pretty tempted to do it while i’m young, if just for six months to experience a new culture. Only problem is i wouldn’t know anyone in the countries i’d be moving to and then you have the language barrier with some places too but the whole unknown element of adventure appeals to me. I’d be a big fan of Belgium from my brief time there on holidays so suspect Germany and Czech Republic would be in a similar vein. I like that they like beer so much.

Munich, Berlin, Madrid, Copenhagen, Prague i could go to any of these to work.[/QUOTE]

Send me a pm

Prague is too full of tourists now and the traffic is horrenduous. Beer is good though.

Great position to be in mate. Hard to knock Copenhagen for sheer pleasure of being a nice place, with nice people and a sensible work ethic. I have been there a few times and I love it…

The wages could be the killer though. Try and get a snapshot of the cost of living there, i’d imagine it wouldn’t be crazy… especially if you are comparing Dublin rents prices to it.

Did a short term stint in Munich. Great city. Go and watch football. Ski in winter. Warm in summer. Spoke to a German who moved back from Dublin. Found cost of living a lot cheaper. Everybody speaks English.

Good stuff. I’m glad they speak a bit of English there. I have never been there though so think i will hit it for a few days first and suss it out. How did you find the German food, they say it’s fairly dire? And were you renting an apartment or sharing? What way did it work?

Was reading up about Belgium there earlier and the norm is three year leases plus all apartments come unfurnished. :eek: