MSHC Final Limerick v Cork

Lads, i shall be attending this. Who should i be supporting?, answers on a PM please.

Why would anyone from a competing county want to canvass for your support, you Tipperary* cunt?

*I’m generally quite fond of Tipperary myself.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 791894, member: 9”]Why would anyone from a competing county want to canvass for your support, you Tipperary*(inbred) cunt?

*I’m generally quite fond of Tipperary myself.[/quote]
FFS Bandage, get it fucking right! :rolleyes:

Kev , no way is a Fitzgibbon worth more than an All Ireland Minor, that’s crazy talk.
Plenty of lads hurling Fitzgibbon will get nowhere near senior inter-county.

And? What good has it done them?

[quote=“Mullach Ide, post: 791903, member: 141”]Kev , no way is a Fitzgibbon worth more than an All Ireland Minor, that’s crazy talk.
Plenty of lads hurling Fitzgibbon will get nowhere near senior inter-county.[/quote]

Not sure where I stand on this but, true as your point is, there’s also plenty of lads hurling minor inter-county who’ll get nowhere near their senior set ups.

Didn’t they beat Clare in a Munster Semi-Final.

How many Fitz winners did Clare have?

[quote=“Mullach Ide, post: 791903, member: 141”]Kev , no way is a Fitzgibbon worth more than an All Ireland Minor, that’s crazy talk.
Plenty of lads hurling Fitzgibbon will get nowhere near senior inter-county.[/quote]

And far more play Minor an don’t play Senior. What’s your point?

From a preperation for Senior Fitzgibbon is a far superior preperation, to argue anything else is ludicrous. For high level hurling nothing is as intense or as well prepared.

My point is really though it suits Cork arguably more than others as we have 2 competitive colleges full if our own players. Dublin is probably too big and only Limericj has a similar set up.

I always knew it was a help, and the CIT football team of 2010 had a massive influence in Cork winning the Senior later on, the players themselves say that, but also admit it probably dented their fitness and hunger the following season. But I never really looked at the crust numbers till Harnedy said it.

If you can play Fitzgibbon you are a very good young adult hurler, if you can play county Minor you are a good young fella who may be there cos if size.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 791914, member: 273”]And far more play Minor an don’t play Senior. What’s your point?

From a preperation for Senior Fitzgibbon is a far superior preperation, to argue anything else is ludicrous. For high level hurling nothing is as intense or as well prepared.

My point is really though it suits Cork arguably more than others as we have 2 competitive colleges full if our own players. Dublin is probably too big and only Limericj has a similar set up.

I always knew it was a help, and the CIT football team of 2010 had a massive influence in Cork winning the Senior later on, the players themselves say that, but also admit it probably dented their fitness and hunger the following season. But I never really looked at the crust numbers till Harnedy said it.

If you can play Fitzgibbon you are a very good young adult hurler, if you can play county Minor you are a good young fella who may be there cos if size.[/quote]

KK must really struggle then having no college at all

It has clearly brought them to a level of hurling where they can compete at a very high level.

Harnedy himself is a great example. If he didn’t play Fitz I doubt he would have been fast tracked into team. Being from Ita’s he would have played for Imokilly, probably The Intermediates and if he was very very good he might get called into the squad, but it might have been next year before he got as close as he did.

I obviously see the benefits of a Minor All-Ireland, but Fitz hurlers are much more proven IMO.

That’s the post of someone who knows they are completely wrong. KK doing it well one way with the resources they have does not mean another way of being successful is wrong.

You may not know this, but all Corks development squads are now based around UCC & CIT and they use those facilities. They have Cork Development CIT A&B and Cork UCC A&B team at every age. They will be getting better coaching and development with this assistance.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 791920, member: 273”]That’s the post of someone who knows they are completely wrong. KK doing it well one way with the resources they have does not mean another way of being successful is wrong.

You may not know this, but all Corks development squads are now based around UCC & CIT and they use those facilities. They have Cork Development CIT A&B and Cork UCC A&B team at every age. They will be getting better coaching and development with this assistance.[/quote]

There has been an onus on Limerick development officers getting involved with the Universities/Colleges in Limerick also this year. Granted there are players from all over in all 3 institutions in Limerick, but there are a lot of Limerick lads in and around these teams and it’s been recognized that the more these teams are brought on so are the players.

Not that I ever really put the jigsaw together myself, but it’s a bit of a no brainier really.

The Sports Science facilities in UL, The S&C degree in LIT etc all should utalized. I know the IRFU are on it.

U-21 is surely the big thing.

It certainly helps, but I doubt it toughens like Fitz to be honest. Nice open games alot of the time at 21’s.

Dublin, Limerick and Galway have all struggled to produce from21’s. it works if you already have a solid senior team, very hard to completely build around a 21 team. Lots was made of Cork in 99, but Alan Browne, Kevin Murry, Corcoran, Seanie McGrath, Ferghal Ryan were all there already.

Just rang the uncle there to put us down for tickets and formally acknowledge that we’ll be meeting for pints.

The Giddyometer is gone up to 11.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 791940, member: 273”]It certainly helps, but I doubt it toughens like Fitz to be honest. Nice open games alot of the time at 21’s.

Dublin, Limerick and Galway have all struggled to produce from21’s. it works if you already have a solid senior team, very hard to completely build around a 21 team. Lots was made of Cork in 99, but Alan Browne, Kevin Murry, Corcoran, Seanie McGrath, Ferghal Ryan were all there already.[/quote]

So what inter-county senior hurling team has been built around a Fitzgibbon cup team?

I’m not actually sure what point I was trying to make to be honest :oops:, other than Kev trying to assert that Fitzgibbon Cup has overtaken inter-county underage as a means of developing hurlers for senior teams. This all on the basis of a fella from a junior club in Cork making the senior hurling team and having a promising debut.

Outside of the fact that every promising young hurler will not actually attend a college that contests the Fitzgibbon Cup, or even attend a college at all.

It’s no coincidence that the counties with proper development squads feeding into their minor teams and subsequent U-21 teams are the most successful at the moment.
Of course hurling Fitzgibbon Cup can bring a lad on experience wise as he will be playing against inter-county senior hurlers, but invariably the majority of college sides are made up of already established inter-county players, be it at Minor, U21 or Senior level.

To move Kevs argument on a bit further, can we say that The Waterford Crystal supercedes the Fitzgibbon as it affords the college players the opportunity to play against inter-county teams and toughens them up further?

If your still hurling in college and competing for places on the Fitzgibbon Cup then it’s more likely you have the mentality that you are going to stick at the hurling. Whereas a lad coming out of minor and maybe going into a trade or deciding that he doesn’t want to spend the best of years of his drink and riding career getting up at 7am for hurling training.