Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Limerick as a city is very poor to support their teams. Limerick fc, Munster, limerick hurlers and the limerick footballers get a very small following for the most part.

The west limerick people are great to support any team be it limerick gaa , Kerry footballers , Munster rugby .

The best supported clubs in limerick city are Young Munster and St Mary’s

Pike Rovers.

1 Like

There’s a huge bandwagon elements in Limerick across all sports I think. I reckon the Munster rubby support has dwindled and we’re now seeing the real rubby supporters at games which is why the stadium is half empty! Same with GAA. Though I know a few previous season ticket holders with Munster rubby who just lost interest, their reason being it’s too boring to watch these days, and they’d be right. Rubby is painful to watch most of the time.

2 Likes

What would the numbers by like for the rubby teams back west? There’s a team in NCW isn’t there? And a newish one called Estuary RFC or something? I am guessing as gaelic football is popular back there, you’d get lads who’d easily transition to rubby or soccer. Whatever happened the LoI team in NCW? Just went bust?

Agreed Limerick hurling is the same. You’ve a core support of 4-5k. Come all Ireland semi final then you’ll have 30k.

Wasn’t it always the case though? I’d be one of the band wagoners I’ll admit, but wouldn’t always get a ticket for said bandwagon, so wouldn’t be going out of my way to get on it either.
I knew a few lads who used to give out about the townie element getting on board in the summer!

The real rugby supporters are at club games.

Limerick is a rugby city when Munster are winning games in the European champions cup, a hurling county when the Limerick senior hurlers are winning games in the championship, soccer town if Limerick FC go on a decent run of results in either the league or FAI Cup, but most of all in terms of sport, Limerick is a premiership soccer city and the exact same could be said about the other 31 counties on the island of Ireland. If only these fair-weather fans gave the same financial and moral support domestically as they do to the game cross channel, soccer in this country would all be the better for it.

3 Likes

Cork city is very good to support its teams imo

Ah pal, would you stop.

The Cork footballers have about 50 people following them most of the time.

Cork City were getting 6k or 7k when they were going for the title, some games this season they’ve got about a third of that.

2 Likes

Can I get the TV audience of munster rugby Vs the TV audience of league hurling games

Yes

2 Likes

Limerick in general are much better than Cork to support.

Jerry Flannery and Felix Jones sacked by Munster.

1 Like

Incorrect they decided not to renew their contracts.

I see Flannery and Jones have been axed by Munster

2 Likes

Cop on to fuck. They’ve been given the road. Surprised (actually, I’m not really) that you’re fooled by the Munster PR spin.

1 Like

They were both offered new contracts. I’m happy to see Jones gone.