Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

It wouldn’t be really. The gap between Munster and Racing at the moment is massive. Racing were huge favourites going into the game and a lot of people expected Munster to be hammered from the off. Munster played well to the best of their limited ability in many positions on the pitch and with 10 minutes to go, the outcome of the game was very much in the balance before Racing pulled away in the end and the expected hammering on the scoreboard took place.

Munster are a very average team . They got a really hard pool. They were lucky Saracens brought a weakened team to Limerick and we lucky to draw to Racing at home .

Many of their better players looked jaded

1 Like

Your provincial team Leinster won. You have bragging rights over any of your friends/workmates from Munster, Ulster and Connacht.

When you were a soccer/Shamrock Rovers man, were you cheering for Bohemians and Shelbourne as well and getting all down in the dumps when they lost?

Joe Schmidt shortened their lifespans.

I can’t say that but the bottom line is they are off color .

I can. He’s flogged them to a closer death.

That’s one of the nice aspects of rubby fan culture which is sadly lacking in other pursuits. Everyone pulls together and supports all the teams. That’s why you have Connacht native and Leinster resident @Horsebox passionately defending Munster’s exploits at the weekend.

3 Likes

Exactly. Racing were much better than them in the game and Thomond and Munster were blessed to get a draw there. If Saracens hadn’t sent a weakened team the result in that game would’ve been the same as every other time Saracens have played Munster in recent years which is a comprehensive Saracens win.

The team of us.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really happen in soccer a lot. Maybe, every now and again if the boosting of a UEFA Coefficeint ranking is at stake.

1 Like

I always admire the way Irish soccer supporters can let bygones be bygones and support British clubs in European competitions .

2 Likes

It happened quite a lot in GGA. Mainly with counties in Ulster and to a lesser extent Connacht getting behind their provincial representatives in the All Ireland series. Often due to a sense of being neglected and disrespected by the traditional powers and by GGA HQ. It was like success for them was striking a blow for the province as a whole. Perhaps now diluted in the qualifier era though. You still have Michael Duignan and Tom Dempsey cheering on Kilkenny so it hasn’t completely fallen away.

2 Likes

It happens all the way down the line in the GAA. You see fellows from success starved counties cheering on neighbouring counties, even if the neighbours are only a moderately successful county. Kildavin and Carlow native @Fitzy cheering on the neighbouring county of Wexford would be a case in point on this forum.

1 Like

Aren’t you only a few months on the forum?

Can I clearly state for the record that I fucking loathe munster rugby and all who sail in her, I don’t like orange men, so usually cheer for whoever is playing ulster, and enjoy seeing leinster lose though I’m fairly indifferent to them.

2 Likes

Would you consider yourself a rubby fan, flatty?

1 Like

I wouldn’t cross the road to watch a professional “club” game mate.
I’d go to an international for a piss up if friends are going, but the game is fairly irrelevant in that.

You need to mature as a person.

2 Likes

Then your post was unnecessary.

As opposed to?