Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Casey & Healy are the best new set of half backs we have produced in a long, long, long time. Casey better than Murray at that age, albeit different players. Coombes is a beast and if he continues, heā€™ll make the 6 Nations squad. The lads coming back from Ireland squad will need to be on the ball if they want to start - Casey, Coombes, Wycherley and Healy making a huge case. Nash shows his raw talent in fits and bursts, hopefully he will continue to develop.

Knox is also an excellent young talent. As is Jack Oā€™Sullivan who has impressed any time he has played over the past 12 months. He will get more time now that Hodnett (another huge talent) is out for a long while. Itā€™s exciting times, and makes us cannot wait for the H Cup. 11 points clear in the Pro14 is seriously good going after 6 games.

4 Likes

for me it was getting the 66 bus into dublin thurs/fri/sat night and averaging a spend of 150 to 200 euro / night no problem- from the John Durcan in 2005 when Hi CLoy won cc @Mac at 8/1 @BruidheanChaorthainn to the 1000 Guineas that year ( or maybe this was 2007) when we were doing things like throwing 5/600 quid on Fionsceal Beo at evens or on a friday night at Market Rasen putting 400 at 5/2 on Paddy Brennan to win on Scarface i would say the place was going bonkers

@Tassotti george washington won the 2000 guineas in 2006ā€¦ remember that- the bookies went mad
same i remember when Brave inca won the 2006 champion hurdle at 7/4 i think ā€¦that 4 days of cheltenham was deranged - there was no online shit then- it was real manly punting in powers full of drinkā€¦ 50 euro ew bets on 4 horses in the pertemps or 6x100 euro win bets in the county hurdles at 5-15 on the friday

@Big_Dan_Campbell @Tassotti can you remember the big tree after cork clare semi final in 2005? it was the day after dubin tyrone and mulliganā€™s goal and they ran out of pint bottles around 7pmā€¦the place was carnage
i remember John o flynn was out smoking with a pint and the next day he was on TV as CCFC beat shels 1-0 before winning the league ā€¦ chaotic times

3 Likes

Iā€™d day john o flynn never smoked a fag in his life

are you kidding me

I know tomo and johnno is a health freak the same as him

@Thomas_Brady will be delighted to see a resurgence in Munster Rubby

he is now id say - what is he - a personal trainer or something after the stint with harps or limerick or whoever it was towards the end
.he was only a ā€œyoungishā€ lad then in 2005 and tbh the next season he was bolluxed with injuries when drogheda won it and before he went back to englandā€¦he kicked on tho at exeter after that

A legend for Barnet FC

he scored a rake of goals there allright.
i think he was originally at peterboro before Dat Polan ( ask @Rocko new lads) brought him back to link up with kevin doyleā€¦ they had some team in 2004/5ā€¦ they beat NEC Nimejen and Malmo in the intertoto cup at one stage

I dont know what heā€™s at. Tomo is a personal trainer. A fucking good one.

Iā€™ve seen his brother train and you canā€™t do what he does Iā€™ve youā€™re smoking

this was 15 years ago

Even if he was Iā€™m not sure what the addition that johnno had a pint and fag added to your ramble

These young lads are miles ahead of the internationals. Murray standar and POM shouldnt get a look in going on form when they come back. But they will all start and munster will be knocked out of Europe due to constant box kicking, jj not hitting a ciws arse with a banjo and POM giving away 4 or 5 penalties and a yellow card

it was a lovely anectdote and added some nice perspective to the sense of reckless abandon and joie de vivre of the time- i just wanted to give young @BruidheanChaorthainn an insight to the going of those heady days and Iā€™m sure if he was around he would have been an outstanding companion on such a sessionā€¦ they were cracking times- many people had no respect for the value of money at the time, it was remarkable. You earned it , by god did you spend it- fearlessly as you knew every second thursday there was a lump coming inā€¦Olly Byrne was blowing cash, donkeys like Denis Behan was on bonuses for scoring, George O Callaghan was re inventing Corkness

anyway, explaining, loosingā€¦etc

1 Like

Would you be familiar with john Flynnā€™s auld lad?

no but he had an uncle who was a milkman who used to clear gates like Colin Jackson when he was on the milk round

1 Like

Hardy men

the glory days off 2004 to 2007, you would have racing on from midday, untill 10 o clock at night on a Saturday. Around 12 to14 meetings, total degenerates

1 Like

Serious talent. On form, has a lot more in his locker than Hodnett. Had this kid down as potential Munster Captain since Senior Cup

Cracking player for UCC over last 2 years