Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Galway, mate.

A good lot of lads played with Limerick clubs though

One of them must have went away up to Galway

Shannon forwards in the 90’s which drove Munster originally were mostly from outside of Limerick.

1 Like

I’d class him as limerick to be fair

If you’re born in a stable it doesn’t mean you’re a horse.

Was more than a token on the club side behalf… Was made up of lads in development program and was well managed.

The comps at club are actually 16.5 and 18.5…so you’d have lads just overage for the 16.5 maybe in junior cert playing lads in college when they would get to 18.5s…a joke.

1 Like

I’ve been in Jerry’s company. A proud Limerick man

4 Likes

Genuine question Gil. Are clubs seeing any drop off in young players with all the concussion stuff. You’d be slow enough to send a child play rugby. Or at least I would anyway, and that’s not a dig or anything. Different before when you didn’t know

Rugby was always niche enough man.

We played with Young Munster because it was the done thing where I grew up.

Noone in my area sends their young fellas into Midleton for rugby

They’re disowning Flamnery and Wallace??

I know, but I can’t see the middle class mommies being happy to send their kids playing rugby these days.

It was a decent format but the travel costs were ridiculous. I played in the first year of the all munster comp which was a slog. We played our normal North league (limerick clare) and top 4 from each division qualified (south- cork East -tipp West - kerry) to next round. 2nd round was a 4 team group with 3 games. Top team in each went to semis etc. I say we had 14 matches in all then our local division cup at year end.

Its grand having a wide league but when teams are out they won’t travel to fulfil a fixture

1 Like

He was a cunt off the field while he was playing.

Havent a clue what he’s like these days. Fact remains that he is from Galway though.

Well there was fuck all rugby this season when the noise was most… But prior to that not in our place anyway. Iv said it loads of times here but no one really wants to listen to it or believe it, but the sport you see on TV is not the sport a young lad of 15 is playing at his local club. We had no concussion in 2 seasons I coached u 16s…the refs are on red alert for it as they are personally liable if anything goes wrong and plenty times fellas would have got a bang on the head and ref would have insisted he be taken off when nowt wrong… But better safe than sorry

3 Likes

There is a prestige in rugby in certain circles. It’ll be Doddy pushing it because he played

They used to be claiming quinlan. Sign of the times

This really boils my soup.

1 Like

He wasnt a cunt.

He was a gentleman

1 Like

The system at the time allowed players to play junior with they’re local teams and AIL with the senior clubs in the city. Nenagh clonmel clanwilliam bruff and thomand supplies some great players as they were junior at the time. Thw likes of Johnny lacey, the o’Mearas from Nenagh aidan o halloran are to name a few. Too many clubs were promoted to senior. 50 in the country is too much.

2 Likes