Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Young Carbery expected to be back in the squad for this weekend’s game.

1 Like

From the Indo

The official in charge of former rugby international Peter Clohessy’s bankruptcy can sell his family home, the High Court ruled.

Mr Justice Richard Humphrey’s also placed a six-month postponement on an order requiring Mr Clohessy, his wife and their three children to vacate the property.

Mr Clohessy, nicknamed the Claw, was adjudicated by the High Court as a bankrupt in 2017. He had been involved in several bar and restaurant businesses which got into difficulties.

A statement of affairs filed on his behalf as part of his bankruptcy proceedings showed that in late 2016 he had debts of over €13m, mainly owed to various lenders.

Mr Clohessy, who represented Ireland on 54 occasions between 1993 and 2002, has since been discharged from bankruptcy.

The official in charge of his bankruptcy, the Official Assignee (OA), in an action against Mr Clohessy and his wife Anna Gibson Steel sought an order sanctioning the sale of Mr Clohessy’s family home at Cappamore, Co Limerick.

The OA also sought an order requiring the family to give up vacant possession of the property.

The court heard that arising out of the bankruptcy the OA had Mr Clohessy’s half share in the property vested in him.

The OA wrote to the couple offering to sell that half share back to them, with the proceeds going to the creditors.

Those letters were returned to the OA, as “not called for.”

The court heard that the mortgage due on the property in 2019 was €236,000.

The OA, represented in the application by Una Nesdale Bl, valued the property at €500,000 to €550,000.

The respondents had valued it at significantly less.

The couple opposed the application.

In his decision Mr Justice Humphreys was satisfied to grant the order.

He said that it was unfortunate that the family would lose their home from where Ms Gibson-Steel conducts her business.

These were not compelling reasons to refuse the order sought in circumstances where the property offers the only prospect for creditors to be paid, and where the family have been living at the expenses of creditors for four years since the adjudication.

The balance of justice favours the making of the orders sought by the OA, the judge said. A postponement period of six months offered by the OA was reasonable, he said.

The two-year period proposed by the couple, the judge said, would impose an unwarranted delay on the creditors, who have waited long enough already…

The judge noted that the house was built over 15 years ago, and adjoined Mr Clohessy’s 48 acre farm.

Arising out of his financial difficulties that farm was repossessed by AIB and sold on to a fund which intends to put it on the market.

€13m fucking hell Claw. Sad to see a lad get wiped out like that all the same.

1 Like

He’s an asshole.

@Fagan_ODowd don’t forget to refer to him as Josie Cadbury somewhere… Always gives me a chuckle

He may or may not be but its still sad to see anyone lose their home

Great for him hopefully the end of his injuries

1 Like

The family as a whole were wiped out in the crash were they not? Over 100mil I think

Who is he related to?

I didn’t think he owned the pub at all

Wouldnt be overly keen on him making his comeback on an artifical surface… Deserves a run of good luck so :crossed_fingers:

The family were in construction… Sparks originally I think but branched out. Pretty sure they were building a few estates around the time of the crash.

1 Like

Did not know that

Wasn’t Tom Kingston of UCC Hurling fame (cc @downyourthroats) involved with Clohessy and a few more?

They all got badly burnt. The story was TK was on the run in the UK for a bit.

1 Like

I can’t be sure but I think they made a few quid when Russia opened up… Rolled into the tiger here then and made a huge wedge but put it all back into development. Allegedly borrowed a few million that may or may not have been spent on property abroad in name of wives/kids and what not… The words ‘we might as well owe 120m as 100m’ may or may not have been uttered by a brother of Claw.

Few Cark bidness men backed him AFAIK.

Frankie Sheehan … Or his old fella, was involved.

There was probably about 7 or 8 years where that place was an absolute fucking gold mine.

Tis in that article there

Mr Clohessy had teamed up with Tom O’Riordan from Kinsale, John Gaffney and Tom Kingston, both from Waterfall; Barry Harte from Timoleague and Brian Smith from Montenotte to open Clohessy’s which became the city’s best known rendezvous for visiting rugby fans.

1 Like

Hes had a tough run of it. I assume ulster have been on the asteo in ul over the last few weeks due to the weather so it won’t be too much for him.

1 Like