Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Search inside yourself, you know it to be true

Mick has the perfect blend of actually playing for Shannon and actually achieving something. He’s the man without doubt

All joking aside I’d have massive respect for a man who decides thats enough. Easy to go chase the money and be on the slide, very hard to walk away with something in the tank

3 Likes

He wasn’t good enough for pro rubby when Axel and Galwey and the likes went on to Munster. A good lad but an outsider and will never be held in the same regard as Foley, Tucker or even the bold Ginger McLoughlin

1 Like

A Shannon captain, leader and one of its most respected. It’s okay. Let it be.

That’s all fine. I wouldn’t disagree but we’re very clannish and parochial in Limerick.

1 Like

Agreed a great player and a gentleman to boot taken far too young

2 Likes

My old neighbour, the ould fella used to give him a lift when he was teaching in Sextons. The pride of the parish all gone now

So you’re essentially going for a makey-uppy hybrid formula to suit your anti-CJ Stander agenda to declare CJ Stander the most decorated Shannon player ever. That’s despite the fact that CJ is nowhere near the most decorated Shannon player in Shannon colours, Munster colours, Ireland colours or British Lions colours.

You’re also only considering players eligible who have test caps for the British Lions, which confines it to two players. Colm Tucker trumps CJ on pretty much every front for the British Lions - twice as many tests, started all his British Lions tests (as opposed to CJ who never started) and unlike CJ actually played on a British Lions test winning team in Loftus Versfeld in 1980.

You have lost the head here entirely Dan. Anti CJ agenda? I have no such thing, I am merely stating he is the most decorated player from one of Irelands most famous clubs. Not that it would bother him either way but I’d have good respect for CJ, even more now since he made the decision to leave the game while in good health. I only wish more players were in a fortunate enough position to do that.
I’m satisfied my criteria is sound. You say it’s Marcus Horan, that would be the correct answer if the question was Shannon’s most capped player. Colm Tucker is the answer (for another few months at least) in terms of Shannon’s most capped B&I Lion. But the answer to the most decorated player is clearly the player who is undefeated for the B&I Lions, captained Ireland and won a Grand Slam.

Did Stringer ever play a game for Shannon? Must have been only a handful if so?

1 Like

You’ve just clarified it. You’re using a maker-uppy formula to determine what you initially labelled as the ‘most decorated in the history of the club’ (Shannon).

The English language meaning of ‘most decorated’ means the one with the most awards. In a rugby context awards that is either caps won or trophies. As I’ve already pointed out, in terms of caps won when affiliated to the Shannon club, in a Shannon jersey, a Munster jersey, an Ireland jersey or a British Lions jersey, Stander is nowhere near the most ‘decorated player’ out of Shannon.

In terms of honours/trophies won, Stander is also not the ‘most decorated’ player in a Shannon, Munster or British Lions jersey. As regards honours won in an Ireland jersey, you cite Stander winning a Grand Slam in 2018 and getting to a quarter final of the World Cup on his lone appearance in that tournament in 2019. Peter Stringer, John Hayes and Marcus Horan all won Grand Slams in 2009, played in multiple World Cups and World Cup quarter finals and won more silverware for Ireland as they were part of the triple crown winning teams of 2004, 06 & 07.

You’ve also thrown into your hybrid mix most decorated formula that CJ captained Ireland to a test win. Mick Galwey and Anthony Foley the trailblazers out of Shannon as Ireland captains.

You are nearly there now Dan, happy to help walk you though things at your own pace. Of course Galwey and Foley captained Ireland before him but with no B&I cap they fall below CJ. Had CJ failed to win a Grand Slam or made the last 8 at a world cup then Marcus Horan would have a good claim, but CJ has done that and also got the greatest honour of a B&I cap. Tucker has his B&I cap but alas never captained Ireland in a Test win or won a Grand Slam.
CJ has had an extraordinary career and is a credit to his club, Shannon. He is rightly regarded as their most decorated. I am surprised you of all people putting the same value on a cap for Ireland as a cap for B&I Lions, I’m fairly sure you are on the record as describing being a tourist as the games ultimate honour.

I’d have thought there would need to be a hurdle to jump in no of Shannon caps to even get into the conversation?

But maybe that’s the club traditionalist in me

Would CJ even know the words to there is an Isle

I’d say he’d know the first two lines anyway… After that I am not sure

What’s CJ’a trophy haul like in Shannon colours @gilgamboa? Yourself and @Heyyoubehindthebushes would be the closest to and most knowledgeable around here on the Munster club scene.

Same as most munster fans so :grinning:

He’s not a Shannon man.

1 Like