Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

What about Buddha Healy?

2 Likes

Rightly regarded as Shannon’s most decorated player? CJ only appears to be regarded as Shannon’s most decorated inside your head.

As @Thomas_Brady has just confirmed, CJ has won 0 honours in a Shannon jersey.

So long so long fair well fair well

Are you forgetting the Bull Hayes Lions test cap?

He was affiliated with Bruff I think.

Eddie Halvey was a phenomenal player

On of your own, I must admit I cringe at a lot of Shannon’s social media, but that’s the game to get attention

Quinlan played an AIL final the week before the 06 final iirc

@Thomas_Brady has claimed CJ is not a Shannon man at all, I wouldnt pay any attention to him. Sure for 50 international team selections the IRFU have CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) on the teamsheet.
Iv yet to see any credible alternative put forward as Shannon’s most decorated player, just people getting confused between most capped player, first player to captain Ireland etc. A credit to the club and a huge loss to them.

Pro game has killed club rugby in this country and has done nothing to support getting people back involved

1 Like

How many games did he play with Shannon? He’s s token Shannon man.

1 Like

He joined too late for any of the AIL glory days anyway. I don’t think he played much part in their division 1B title win a few seasons back but I’d have to check

1 Like

The Bull Hayes like CJ won a 3rd test British Lions test off the bench, in the Bull’s case in Johannesburg in 2009. The Bull unlike CJ played in a winning British Lions test team in that 3rd test.

The Bull won 4 AIL leagues with Shannon in the 4 in a row team 1995-98, won 2 European Cups with Munster in 2006 and 2008. He also won 105 Ireland caps, locked the scrum on the Grand Slam winning team of 2009 and won triple crowns in 2004, 06 & 07.

CJ won 0 honours with Shannon, won 0 European Cups with Munster and with 50 Ireland caps has less than half the haul of the Bull’s 105.

As @Thomas_Brady has said, the Bull was affiliated to the Bruff club at the time of the 2009 British Lions tour. Then again I don’t believe CJ Stander togged out for Shannon during the season he won his British Lions test cap.

The Bull also toured with the British Lions to New Zealand in 2005. While he didn’t feature in any of the three tests against New Zealand, he started in the test match against Argentina that preceded arrival in New Zealand. I’d need to look into this particular point, but I think the Bull was still affiliated to Shannon at the time of the 2005 British Lions tour.

It is churlish to advance the argument that anyone other than the Bull Hayes is the most decorated player to come out of the Shannon club.

1 Like

The Bull was about as much Shannon as CJ

Who’s the most decorated player at senior level who played underage for Shannon?

Anthony

Dunny?

I was at a Shannon club game in 1999 and another in 2019. It was absolutely dreadful to see how the club game has been hollowed out in that time. Clubs agreeing to allow their name be put on international team sheets beside fellas who never pulled on the club jersey in a game is a great symptom of everything that has gone wrong with the club game.

6 Likes

Ah the Bull played a lot of Rubby for Shannon when Bruff were still a junior club.

In the time that CJ was affiliated with Shannon I would say shannon won division 1B (division 2 but irfu can’t name competitions correctly) and a munster junior Cup.