Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

In fairness, it’s not a million miles from it.

What’s it called? Always thought was called d Island field

Depends on wether you consider Pa Healys field is on an Island. Its kinda on an island just not THE ISLAND.

2 Likes

True. One could argue the island is actually the Abbey and all around by Barringtons I suppose

2 Likes

Healy’s field

1 Like

In most peoples minds the island field is St Mary’s Park but yeah I’ll leave you off with it

1 Like

He’d know if he was down the island field… Some place to play soccer back in the day.

Did you play on their old pitch or newer place? The old pitch was right beside a proper dodgy halting site for a time

Both. The new place is as fine a set up as there is in junior rubby

2 Likes

Is there pitches out in the Shannon fields? I’d say I played them out there as well

You might be thinking of Richmond

Maybe so… Their place was often out of bounds for repairs!

This reminds me of the time Jimmy Magee had a quiz Know Your Sport. There was a Limerick lad on who was very good. Jimmy asked a crucial question. Name the rugby team based in Clare. The poor bastard was stumped. He gueesed an Ennis team. No your wrong says the bould Jimmy. The answer was Shannon. Jaysus we slagged the fuck out of the Shannon lads for months after that.

6 Likes

I’d imagine its Athlunkard he is thinking of? Shannon had their pitches there before selling on to Corbally Utd. I think Marys shared there for a short period before Shannon went to Coonagh.

1 Like

Cool story

Yeah I was thinking that also… That’s the answer to your Know your Sport question.

As a Shaanon man, was it behind the move to Coonagh

. We were mortified by the slagging ye gave us.

1 Like

Shannon were originally from the island. Once they moved and went senior, (a traditional junior team until the 60s) Mary’s were founded. The real boys of the island field.

Shannon were/are the club of the St Mary’s parish

What existed before the AIL