Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Munster don’t need back rows either. Struggling at hooker (a national problem), a non bosh centre, and a full back.

Yeah I think almost everyone wouldnt have the artificial as a preference. It’s better than playing on muck though… And they get fair use out of the pitch in musser now compared to before…

You can book it to play a match (not a kick around!) for about 500 quid

750 for the lights. The branch won’t allow clubs in cork postpone games due to water logged pitches anymore, the choice is give a walk over or rent Musgrave. Only way out is if munster are playing the same day

1 Like

Incredibly interesting good move for him

Great move for him… He’s been brilliant

Dire need of a proper 7. Cloete looked like was going to be it for a while but not going to cut it now.

There’s a reason every successful team had an out and out 7. The all blacks had 3 7’s in 20 years. Even at their lowest points Australia has likes of Smith, Waugh, pocock. It’s such a critical position and we throw Jack O’Donoghue in there on occasion…

Even Wallace, an unreal player for us, was arguably more of 6.5. We perennially ignore the value of an out and out 7 which filters down and so don’t naturally produce them.

Leinster at same time as Wallace had gleeson, a more natural 7. But he wasn’t even brought through ranks here, he was Aussie. But since then, they’ve fucking churned them out to the point they’ve too many first rate 7s.

We badly need a top class, ball snaffling, ball slowing, out half destroying 7. Match last week showed it in spades I thought

1 Like

Some form great to see what consistency in playing and team shape gives to a guy

Games games games games

The start and the end of it. You can’t improve without playing competitive matches that mean something to those involved. Playing an AIL game on a Saturday would improve a lad more than 10 training sessions

2 Likes

It’s funny what D’Arcy said - I’d kinda understand it. It used to be the biggest game - 01 06 09 11 etc. Even the league games in between - I remember being in Musgrave Pk in 06 I think when Munster destroyed Leinster and gave Contepomi dogs abuse.

But now, we just win. That’s it. In all the big games recently you never felt like Munster would win and that’s fairly anti-climatic.

I hope you drive them into the ground.

2 Likes

We did :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You dont need an out and out 7 for the modern game. Munster problem is the same as irelands of late playing 2 or more back rows like CJ and POM. Too similar in style and along with big crash centres cuts playing style options. Leave JVDF penny conan etc are examples of players that complement the lack of a 7.

Hodnet Coombes o sullivan are all in this modern mold.

Playing a full game and training with said squad too.

Imho clubs should tell provincial teams to keep the players. They cause more disruption to a squad than add benefit. Con changed policy around 2014 and look at them now, they were the best club team in ireland, lost only 2/3 games in 2019 and 2020.

1 Like

I wouldn’t even mind the losses so much. It’s the passive losses where we don’t even put it up to ye is the hardest to stomach. It’s like the inverse of what you’ve said- we’ve lost that many, we just expect it.

I really thought last weekend would be the different. It wasn’t. But the glimmer of hope was seen in the stark difference of our previous bellwether Stander having ball ripped by Baird versus seeing the way Coombes put himself about. There’s hope yet

2 Likes

Munster/Leinster will never match the parish vs cookies

1 Like

Derryknockane on a winter’s Sunday, dying of drink, knee high in mud and mother jokes the only thing flying faster than sly digs.

1 Like

Munsters problem is that the bish-bosh style of play will get you so far but not past the big teams. Grand for Pro14 and a good chunk of the HEC but come up against a Leinster/Exeter/Racing and you usually need more. Hence they reach the same stage every year.

All bar 1 of them is a 7. Leavy only moved to 6 as riches at 7, still arguably his best position

The dark side of the moon or the land time forgot. Nawful place

Yeah. Was at the semi last year in the RDS and some Munster fans nearby were almost resigned to it. The heat has been taken out of it good and proper.

Coombes looks decent alright. I think the O’Mahony/Murray era has had its time. If they haven’t done it now they won’t ever. Time to bank on the young guys even if it means a year or two of bumpy results. It’s often forgotten that Leinsters dud years circa 2015 blooded Ringrose, Furlong, Leavy etc

1 Like