Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

they’ve the schools doing the right things. Lads are coached very well in the schools. There is a hurling culture there as well. Other sports are an afterthought. They don’t spend big because they don’t have to for underage

I’d imagine they prepare as well as any other senior intercounty team so would have someone there for performance, nutrition etc

The auld lad was asked to play football with them in the 70s. He said he nearly did too as there was a free tracksuit for playing.

1 Like

Honestly, the nutrition side is basic common sense.
The sports psychology lark is just bollox imho, history written by the winners.
You either have it in you as a team to give your all, or you don’t.

You’d be a fair eejit if you believed Kilkenny squads weren’t given everything they needed. Trips to Carton House don’t come chape.

that’s absolute bollocks anyway.

The top 5 or 6 teams aren’t separated by much. These things at that level are about trying to find the extra 1% to push you over the edge. If you weren’t doing it, it would be very noticeable

1 Like

I don’t know but I do know that the manager shouldn’t have to brow beat his county board into proving gear for the team either which was the case in Clare earlier this year.

This isn’t true.
I know for a fact that there are EPL teams who don’t use a sports psychologist

Now that is bad.

what about it isn’t true?

Most counties seem to have amateur enough County Boards to be fair.

which ones? how would they get on in the senior hurling championship?

Cork seem to have got their act together and put a proper structure and appointments in place. I fully expect them to be back winning A/I consistently by the end of the decade. Given their numbers they will be a juggernaut once they get rolling

They’re unraveling the shit storm left by Frank. The stadium could scupper their development with the repayments.

The GAA is amateur :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah and you can pick the winner of that 20 team league out of 4 or 5 of the usual suspects. I don’t think kilkenny need a sports psychologist. If you grow up in an area and you see team losing most years then its ingrained in you that losing is expected. If a manager doesn’t have the skills required to overcome that historic baggage it’s no harm get that skill in.

or the inverse, if lads are winning too much or gone big headed can be no harm to keep them grounded etc.

Unlike the old way where a manager would drop a big name early in the winter as a wake up call.

:smile: FFS

Just retaining it once is a huge achievement. If you don’t think so, go ask Tipp.

2 Likes

It’s a testament to John Kiely, Paul Kinnerk and this current crop from Limerick that despite losing two top defenders in Casey and English and a Hall of Fame forward in The Dow, that they go into next week’s game against the reigning All Ireland Senior and back to back All Ireland Under 21/20 Champions as such hot favourites with the bookmakers.

Even the most ardent supporters of Tipp will be happy with a good performance and a springboard to take into the qualifiers.

Ah I was only buttering up the Limerick lads before the inevitable ambush by Davy Fitz in early December.