Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

The total amount spent by county boards, yes, I would agree. I would also say itā€™s impossible from that to estimate what goes on a county team. Particularly when the variance from county to county and from team to team is so much.

Especially given where heā€™s really from

1 Like

Itā€™s never impossible to estimate. Itā€™s just an estimate.
It would be very difficult to get right.

It should be all accounted for and made public - the cost for each team per year. The GAA need to understand what is being spent and where. The cost is a huge problem and is becoming unsustainable

Thatā€™s some clusterfuck of spelling errors

Tony Kelly is an unbelievable hurler

2 Likes

The overall figure for senior spend released by the CB of Allā€“Ireland winners every year has been broadly along the same upward curve. That graphic is a best estimate but itā€™s not a million miles off Iā€™d imagine.

Limerick must be saving on travel though relative to other counties, have they anyone working more than a county away even?

Nor is NZ a single sport area, but hurling is exceedingly predominant as things stand in kk, as is rugby union in NZ.

Thee would be a footballers away alright but afaik, most of the hurlers are pretty local. A lot of teachers like most other counties, I guess.

Iā€™d still say regular catering costs must be up there as a primary cost outside of actually paying managers/coaches.

Cork wouldnā€™t have many lads travelling from outside the county Iā€™d imagine? Would Tipp have many? Kilkenny might have lads in Dublin but that wouldnā€™t be a huge hop.

More kids play football than rugby in nZ

theyā€™d have deals done with catering crowds. A few different pots of curries etc after training and a big pot of rice etc. It wouldnā€™t break the bank. They probably get good deals on the hydration for training off the beverage companies as well.

Match day would be expensive in terms of grubbing alright. Theyā€™d meet somewhere for the breakfast in the morning. Theyā€™d be fed during the day and probably a meal after, especially if they are travelling, theyā€™d have to stop somewhere.

Fair play to Quaid for jumping out of the way of that goal effort, it could have hurt him and as it turned out it was unimportant.

Catering costs would actually have decreased a little over the last few years. With the greater emphasis on nutrition, a lot of players bring their own meals to training/matches.

The biggest increase would be on the medical side. Physios, doctors, scans, consultants, injury rehab etc.

I wasnā€™t able to pay close attention to the match yesterday, as my house was full with visitors. But how was Gearoid Hegarty left in so much space between the 45s? Iā€™ve a lot of admiration for him because he didnā€™t look like heā€™d become such an influential player, even allowing for improvement that would come with experience. Heā€™s a formidable opponent now, perhaps the most important player in that Limerick team.

Iā€™m not advocating a wing back following him up the field to do a man marking job and thus leaving your defence exposed. But you surely need one of the opposing wing forwards playing the same role as Hegarty and essentially occupying the same areas of the pitch and not letting him have it all his own way. Maybe Clare did have someone trying to do that role but I was only catching glimpses of the game.

1 Like

Hayes, Hegarty and Morrissey do it though it isnā€™t just Hegarty,

Hegarty got 05, Tom got 4, and Hayes got 3. Donovan got another off the bench. 13 points from play is some going for a half forward line and they still didnā€™t get as much as Tony Kelly :smiley:

Donā€™t the limerick players get food delivered to their work places during the week ?

They do, those that are working anyway

Ryan & Fitzgerald were doing a similar job for Clare but they took off Fitzgerald at half-time for Shanagher, and there seemed to be a lot more space in the second half for Hegarty. A lot of the time, it seemed to be 2 or 3 Clare forwards attempting the swarm on a Limerick back but they were usually able to recycle it back to the man in space and Hegarty had come deep but was still standing about 10m off so was able to pick the ball up easily.

1 Like

Not that Iā€™m aware of. They have plenty of information available to them re: what they should be eating though.

1 Like

I think it was happening but maybe it was just in the run up to a game or something.