Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024…part 2

TJ is the pick of the lot on Daly’s Pod

5 Likes

Roche is good but not sure he has the ceiling of young Twomey. Ethan seems to tire badly after 50 or so minutes so Roche or TOC are good subs to have. In time, I’d fancy Mullins to make a midfield jersey his own too.

Young fella like Dalton?? He’s not 22.

Ah sure they’re all only young fellas.

1 Like

Could you send me wan also please mate?

Dalton is close to 30 I think? Was a great white hope for a while but did not commit.

After the Clare and Limerick games, opponents should now have wised up to Cork’s approach on puckouts. Drop deeper, cover breaks in numbers while allowing them play out from the “wrong” wing as much as possible. Change up a bit for with/against the wind. Just improve your %'s on it and remember that if they are pucking out a little slower then you have probably scored.

A perfect piece for a video session with your players

1 Like

Same age as Tom Morrissey and Nash. Hurled against each other in the Harty.

He is in his mid 20s and I’m not sure where you are getting the “great white hope” thing from.

1 Like

Skehill on the hurling pod has a theory that the new balls don’t curl or travel the way the old ones used to.

Dalton is 27 or so I’d have thought. Wasn’t hand his problem when he burst on the scene with UCC/Imocilly that some saw him as a keeper?

He is a clever hurler but he lacks a bit of athleticism. I’m surprised he has been as effective as he has at wing forward.

I’d say he is absolutely bursting his balls to get up to the athletic mark for the position to be fair to him

5 Likes

Dalton is plenty athletic. He showed it against Clare last year in Ennis with that goal he scored leaving McInerney for dead. Tipp defense is slow but he showed serious wheels to carry ball and score another goal in Pairc Ui Caoimh. He started out playing corner forward with Cork and he isnt your usual nippy corner forward with serious movement and turning ability so maybe thats in peoples minds about him still.

His goal v Clare was a rebound from a penalty

Or maybe it was an assist for another goal where he intercepted. I’ll try and find highlight for illustration purposes.

Horgan got the goal against David Mc. First goal was Cahalane from a Horgan turnover by the 21.

Dalton hurled well that day but it was all from moving out the field and dropping into pockets of space. I deliberately didn’t call him slow but he is average enough athletically - probably around a similar size and speed to Jason Forde with a bit more cut to him

The Jason Forde comparison is probably a fair one in terms of physique but obviously as you said a fair bit more cut in him. Hes an intelligent hurler and its not easy find those pockets of space. Excellent distributor too. He does offer something different. Obviously you’d be worried if Limerick rolled out one of their trusted puck out drills where they overload one side of the field and Quaid plays one over the top to a galloping Kyle Hayes on the other side. But he’s smart enough to recognise that too.

I’m a fan of his - I thought he might have turned out to be physical 14 and am surprised at how well he has taken to the wing. He plays to his strengths

2 Likes

Which is wrong. The balls are the exact same. The microchip just confirms they are conforming sliotars.

Dalton was u21 in 2018 when Tipp bate them in the final.

Wikipedia says he’s not 27 until November.

2 Likes