Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024…part 2

Some proper physical hits today, a great fair. The ref did well to let it flow. WOD at stand off was milling lads in the tackle. Bouncing WD men head on and to add he threw some perfect passes

1 Like

Ye deserve better, the thing is its not like ye dont have the players or desire. Its the management.

Diarmaid Byrnes did well today, to be fair to him, after a couple of scutchings against Clare and Cork.

Forget about the wides from some scattergun placed balls, his first responsibility is as a defender and he defended well. Virtually every long Waterford puckout was, understandably, launched down his wing and in the main he dealt with them very well. When is the last time a team had the temerity to try Kyler’s side?

Limerick are far from purring, but the management are managing an ageing and slowing team very well. We’re heading for the business end now and I, for one, do not see us beaten from here.

15 Likes

Ozzy Gleeson is sorely missed and they’ve got to go with whatever brings him back into the fold. Whoever it is, play Ozzy at 14 and Dessie in the corner and they at least have that puncher’s chance.

I thought byrnes was very shakey. He’d some bad wides too and he was blessed Waterford are just useless. Early doors he was caught out again.

Nash was good. Hannon too.

Kyle will go down as our greatest ever hurler.

Shane o Brien should start. He’s got it. He’s another threat inside.

Hego and Tom Morrissey are starting to motor. Dod coming back would be huge.

Reidy was good Again too.

Cian lynch can’t get going at all. Hopefully he roars into form.

2 Likes

4 pm in Thurles

1 Like

I’d agree. Waterford were so feeble today, I wouldn’t be using today as a benchmark to herald the return to rude health of out of form players.

Kyle Hayes is the greatest player on that team. A privilege to see him in the flesh again today. I’m struggling to think of a bad match or below par performance all the way back to 2018.

Limerick are an ageing team and I do get sense last year or two of starting slowly and cranking it up through the rounds.

Cork are the only team left who I feel have the tools to topple them. I don’t think they will though. It’s very hard to replicate it a second time.

3 Likes

I couldn’t get over how awful Waterford were and the defensive set up too. I’d be very slow to read much into the limericks back performance given how easy Waterford made it. Barry Nash hasn’t had so much freedom in two years. Hannon as well.

That’s the bench mark for setting up v Limerick. Marking hannon and Nash and don’t let them dictate the game.

Cork have lots of younger players who are improving too. I know from 2018 lads can improve an incredible amount in a short space of time. I wonder about their managers and possibly the keeper too but they are dangerous.

That was Cahill’s gameplan too in fairness.

Limerick are definetely on the slide. Look caught for pace.

Waterford had a player detailed to spoil lynch most of the game. DOD back would release him to 11 and help massively.

From a cork pov you want to meet Limerick in a semi final.

We haven’t performed to our best in all Ireland semi finals after the round robin.

18 we drew in 70 mins. 19 we lost. 22 and 23 we had large periods of the game were we weren’t at it at all v a very average Galway side.

Will Kelly start the final? For who?

But what county has got better to close the gap ? Kilkenny have been poor , Cork and Clare still have a more questions than answers , Tipp and Galway are gone .

1 Like

Cork and Clare would be a much tougher semi final and final path than Galway and Kilkenny which is what we got in 22 and 23.

The biggest batein you gave any of them teams was Cork in a final a few years ago ?

Not really relevant to this year though is it.

Kk and Galway are two bad teams.

Clare have done well since the collapse v Limerick. They put less effort into this round robin the previous two and are slightly under the radar also.

Taylor and Kelly will be key. Without them returning to full fitness I just don’t see them winning it out without them.

I’d give the other counties absolutely no chance tbh.

Still didn’t have to deal with him

Would actually suit Limerick to lose to Clare. Avoid Cork and easier path to final.