Music Questions

A Rush Of Blood To The Head was a good album.

It certainly wasn’t bad. I never took to ‘The Scientist’ though, which a lot of people raved on about at the time.

I appreciate the input. I think you’re the first person who’s ever offered me a critique of the album and said why they think it’s good.
Usually it’s just “it’s deadly”. And the live show seems to be appreciated in terms of the size of the flying inflatable pigs or whatnot.
I’m no music snob and I don’t think rock should be anything in specific. There’s two types of music, good and bad. I sometimes listen to stuff which is cheesier and more produced than anything Floyd did in the 80s.
Sure it’s only a bit of fun.

It’s you. It’s you. It’s all for you. Everything I do. I tell you all the time.

While we are here chaps, having a litte gathering in my gaff Saturday (You are all welcome) I want to throw together a good boozy fun playlist that will appeal to the masses- Songs like B52’s, Love Shack- Paul Simon, Call me Al - good light hearted songs but anthems in their own way… fire away there with a few suggestions.

Me and a few pals (male and female) have an unspoken ritual of retreating after an impromptu booze night in the pub to one of our places to dance and sing to various classic numbers, mainly 80s actually, to all hours of the morning.
Staples would be:

Waterboys - Whole of the Moon
Tears for Fears - Head over Heels
Simple Minds - Don’t You Forget About Me and Alive and Kicking
KC and the Sunshine Band - Give it Up
Usually some Smiths
Blur - To The End
Van Morrison - Into the Mystic/or whatever you’re having yourself
Funkadelic - Tear The Roof off the Sucker

The Statler Brothers - Flowers On The Wall.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 836461, member: 129”]Me and a few pals (male and female) have an unspoken ritual of retreating after an impromptu booze night in the pub to one of our places to dance and sing to various classic numbers, mainly 80s actually, to all hours of the morning.
Staples would be:

Usually some Smiths
Blur - To The End
Funkadelic - Tear The Roof off the Sucker[/quote]

You’d love costellos in Limerick… about 1am- The Cure, the Smiths, the Jam, new order, joy division, Nirvana etc etc get belted out.

Was there last Friday, the place fucking erupted around midnight for RATM and Prodigy. They had to bring it down a bit after that with some indie stuff and I think they even managed one or two decent hip hop tracks. First time there in ages, will have to go back again soon. Anyway maybe some Stranglers, Clash and Primal Scream for your playlist -Rock the Casbah for sure.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 836461, member: 129”]Me and a few pals (male and female) have an unspoken ritual of retreating after an impromptu booze night in the pub to one of our places to dance and sing to various classic numbers, mainly 80s actually, to all hours of the morning.
Staples would be:

Usually some Smiths
Blur - To The End
Funkadelic - Tear The Roof off the Sucker[/quote]

Toto - Africa.

The drum lead into the chorus.

The subsequent really high note.

Superb.

Also excellent:

• Bananarama: Cruel Summer
  • Boy Meets Girl: Waiting for a Star to Fall
  • Jennifer Rush: The Power of Love

Rock the Casbah for sure. Also:
Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (a much underrated genius pop song)

There isn’t a better song ever to get me going than the Communards version of Don’t leave me this way.

I love You spin me right round too. Maybe this is for the guilty pleasures thread

On the Wall.

As an album it has no equal in Pink Floyd terms imo. You don’t even need to see the visuals to follow the journey of a kid who felt like an outsider, over mothered and who ultimately turned out to be an all-encompassing asshole rock star who thought he was above everything. It’s a life journey on a double album and something modern day “pop stars” or enthusiasts couldn’t grasp with Velcro.

All the visuals and gimmicks in the world mean nothing if the music isn’t up to scratch and whilst there are some forgettable tunes there’s Comfortably Numb, Nobody Home, One of my Turns and Mother to make up for it. Overall as a piece working classic individual songs into a narrative as vast as Roger Waters/Sid Barrett’s life story is simply outstanding artistry. On the flip side the ordinary songs like Vera, The Trial, ABITW, Run like Hell all work because they are part of the overall narrative. Win Win really.

[quote=“Special Olympiakos, post: 836520, member: 366”]On the Wall.

As an album it has no equal in Pink Floyd terms imo. You don’t even need to see the visuals to follow the journey of a kid who felt like an outsider, over mothered and who ultimately turned out to be an all-encompassing asshole rock star who thought he was above everything. It’s a life journey on a double album and something modern day “pop stars” or enthusiasts couldn’t grasp with Velcro.

All the visuals and gimmicks in the world mean nothing if the music isn’t up to scratch and whilst there are some forgettable tunes there’s Comfortably Numb, Nobody Home, One of my Turns and Mother to make up for it. Overall as a piece working classic individual songs into a narrative as vast as Roger Waters/Sid Barrett’s life story is simply outstanding artistry. On the flip side the ordinary songs like Vera, The Trial, ABITW, Run like Hell all work because they are part of the overall narrative. Win Win really.[/quote]

Tear down the wall… tear down the wall… tear down the wall…

Most people aren’t even aware there’s a wall in the first place. It’s a wonderful piece of self psychoanalysis.

[quote=“Special Olympiakos, post: 836520, member: 366”]On the Wall.

All the visuals and gimmicks in the world mean nothing if the music isn’t up to scratch and whilst there are some forgettable tunes there’s Comfortably Numb, Nobody Home, One of my Turns and Mother to make up for it. Overall as a piece working classic individual songs into a narrative as vast as Roger Waters/Sid Barrett’s life story is simply outstanding artistry. On the flip side the ordinary songs like Vera, The Trial, ABITW, Run like Hell all work because they are part of the overall narrative. Win Win really.[/quote]

Fair enough. Would you say, though, that the instrumentation is nothing like as interesting, funky, psychedelic or downright awesome as the groups achievements on earlier work like Echoes, Time, Careful With That Axe, Eugene, or most else they did before 1980?

I’ve had the Wall played to me and while I appreciate it has a good concept and killer lyrics, the music just sounds so fucking bland.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 836528, member: 129”]Fair enough. Would you say, though, that the instrumentation is nothing like as interesting, funky, psychedelic or downright awesome as the groups achievements on earlier work like Echoes, Time, Careful With That Axe, Eugene, or most else they did before 1980?

I’ve had the Wall played to me and while I appreciate it has a good concept and killer lyrics, the music just sounds so fucking bland.[/quote]

Dark side of the moon and Animals are two i’d place above The Wall for the reasons you’ve outlined above. Some top class riffs on Animals- Dark side of the moon speaks for itself.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 836528, member: 129”]Fair enough. Would you say, though, that the instrumentation is nothing like as interesting, funky, psychedelic or downright awesome as the groups achievements on earlier work like Echoes, Time, Careful With That Axe, Eugene, or most else they did before 1980?

I’ve had the Wall played to me and while I appreciate it has a good concept and killer lyrics, the music just sounds so fucking bland.[/quote]

There’s nothing bland about Comfortably Numb which Pink Floyds best song for me but you are right about it being musically behind some others. As a concept and a piece however it is their Magnus Opus imo.
My personal favourite musically is Atom heart Mother, you won’t hear a better instrumental than the opening track- all 27 mins of it.
Wish you were here is good but Have a Cigar wouldn’t sound out of place on the Wall. Shine on is also much better live, once you hear the live version it’s hard to listen to the studio version I find.
Ummagumma is an insane album- Any album that contains a song called “Several species of small animals gathered together in a cave, grooving with a pict” has to be admired. The live stuff again trumps the studio stuff though.
Dark Side- A classic, overplayed and has long since been matched and bettered but the run from Breathe to Us and Them is pretty special. On the Run is way ahead of its time too.
Animals- My 2nd favourite Floyd album. I could sing the 3 middle songs without a mistake once upon a time and once upon a reefers or two. Was delighted Waters played Dogs in the Point in 02, it was the highlight of my sad life at that moment.
Meddle has some class moments but really after Echoes its all just window dressing. What a song.

No mention of A Saucerful of Secrets on here?

RIP Richard Wright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rABEhMOTor0

The buggles.