Music Questions

What are you blathering on about, pal?

Listened to it a couple of times on Spotify - very good and quite understated.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 836684, member: 1517”]Add this one pal,
Transvision Vamp : Baby I Don’t Care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26krlXFmOI

She is one sexy cunt. :clap:[/quote]
They played in Waterford when I was in college, there was a rumour which developed into a quite ridiculous story that a student rode the hole off her that night, in the Bridge Hotel. Three different lads told me it was them.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 898868, member: 9”]Alt J are not laughing stocks. :mad:

JVM is anything but a fad. It’s been a long journey of fluctuating fortunes for him and us. :mad:

Fuck you. :mad:[/quote]

This is one of many articles slagging them off

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jan/14/alt-j-bland-band-anonymous-member

Also, while the writer is a douche bag, the bolded bit sums them up perfectly…

[SIZE=5]Alt-J Norwich Waterfront 30th October 2012[/SIZE]
November 2, 2012
Alt-J are a pretentiously-named band from Leeds, formed around 5 years ago. They’ve released some records, played some gigs, that’s about every single thing that you need to know about them. Oh yeah they won the Mercury Music Prize a couple of days after this gig and they believe in censorship, and silencing their critics, even when their critics are not even big critics.

Or maybe they’re just shit and don’t want anyone wtih a brain to see them live and put finger to keyboard. They are paranoid and fearful of bad reviews, scared of interesting and erudite reviewers (I’m not talking about myself here), fearful of what is genuinely alternative and innovative. They produce coffee table music for the unthinking masses, and for uninteresting people everywhere.

Anyway, after the support Alt-J take the stage to some applause from the crowd. I think they played ‘Breezeblocks’, ‘Tessellate’ and ‘Something Good’ (no it wasn’t). They played a load of songs from the album. A bit of middle-aged, middle-class electronica does not make a tedious middle-of-the-road indie-lite band anything other than a tedious middle-of-the-road indie-lite band and every clap and every cheer just makes me realise what a bunch of numb-nuts their fans are.

And yet their stance on censorship (refusing entry to the mighty Simon Price to this very gig) betrays a totalitarian lack of tolerance shared by evil warmongers throughout history, from Hitler to Stalin to Blair. It would be no exaggeration to say that Alt-J have done their best to set up their own (albeit slightly smaller) propaganda machine based on Glavlit, which has ruined the careers of thousands of music journalists around the world, causing their families no end of suffering, from feelings of inadequacy to the starvation of their children. Basically the effect of Alt-J on music journalists is something akin to Stalin’s purges, Hitler’s propaganda machine and that famine in Ethiopia that Geldof sorted out rolled into one. It is so bad that – at the risk of over-doing it – that I feel compelled to say that there is something of the Mandelsons about them.

Basically… I’ve never heard a good song by them, they are tedious middle of the road except in their extreme rightleftwing authoritarian politics. In accepting a prize given by Barclays they are actually responsible for the last 5 years of economic calamity and are as bad fat-cats as any banker and they certainly fall into the M-People / Elbow type of winners, not the PJ Harvey / Hegarty camp.

Alt-J – you could have had a Simon Price review, instead you chose this one.

ps – writing this review reminds me of the last time I was in Norwich as it goes, I was a young child and we saw Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee in the street. This was the 80s and it was dead exciting.

Bandage is metaphorically getting the shit kicked out of him here by my buddy Mark.

A couple of bloggers don’t like the great Alt J and that, for me, is a bloody shame. I see it as an unfortunate example of reverse music snobbery rearing its deformed head.

First mover legends like me identified and recommended the debut album. Slowly a certain amount of critics followed suit without much mainstream recognition but it then surprisingly won the Mercury Music prize.

This in turn caused nerds who hadn’t bothered listening to the album or who hadn’t shortlisted it themselves untold upset.

It prompted some of them to rush to their bedrooms to type out blogs arguing how ridiculous the award was but they helpfully clarify that they’re not annoyed and they actually don’t care because Alt J are really irrelevant. So there.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 899128, member: 9”]A couple of bloggers don’t like the great Alt J and that, for me, is a bloody shame. I see it as an unfortunate example of reverse music snobbery rearing its deformed head.

First mover legends like me identified and recommended the debut album. Slowly a certain amount of critics followed suit without much mainstream recognition but it then surprisingly won the Mercury Music prize.

This in turn caused nerds who hadn’t bothered listening to the album or who hadn’t shortlisted it themselves untold upset.

It prompted some of them to rush to their bedrooms to type out blogs arguing how ridiculous the award was but they helpfully clarify that they’re not annoyed and they actually don’t care because Alt J are really irrelevant. So there.[/quote]

These people have gone to their gigs, pal.

Anyway, the lads on NME love them, and that tells me all I need to know.

I really don’t mind who you listen to, mate. I just want you to be your own man instead of following trends and trying to look cool or hip. I’m blaming @farmerinthecity for this, as you are clearly trying to emulate, or impress, him and it is blinding you and holding you back from being the best you that you can be. I say all this out of love.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 899129, member: 1796”]These people have gone to their gigs, pal.

Anyway, the lads on NME love them, and that tells me all I need to know.

I really don’t mind who you listen to, mate. I just want you to be your own man instead of following trends and trying to look cool or hip. I’m blaming @farmerinthecity for this, as you are clearly trying to emulate, or impress, him and it is blinding you and holding you back from being the best you that you can be. I say all this out of love.[/quote]

@farmerinthecity has a shit taste in music and I have no interest in emulating him, pal.

And I’ve never purchased NME or found it lying around in my old pair’s house (as one might find a copy of The Sunday Independent).

Your claims are outrageous.

[quote=“Bandage, post: 899147, member: 9”]@farmerinthecity has a shit taste in music and I have no interest in emulating him, pal.

And I’ve never purchased NME or found it lying around in my old pair’s house (as one might find a copy of The Sunday Independent).

Your claims are outrageous.[/quote]

Maybe i am being too harsh.

Could you list out what bands/artists you listen to who are from the 60s-90s. Anything pre 2000.

Here - you cunts. Leave me out of this.

@Bandage bought tickets to a Snow Patrol gig back in the day. That tells all that needs to be told about that man.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 899180, member: 24”]Here - you cunts. Leave me out of this.

@Bandage bought tickets to a Snow Patrol gig back in the day. That tells all that needs to be told about that man.[/quote]

:eek::frowning:

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 899180, member: 24”]Here - you cunts. Leave me out of this.

@Bandage bought tickets to a Snow Patrol gig back in the day. That tells all that needs to be told about that man.[/quote]
And farmer knocks it out of the park. Hope the back is better buddy

This is no revelation. Smashing gig in The Ambassador in circa 2003.

Spot on Horsey. He is literally metaphorically getting the shit kicked out of him.

It is better mate. Still a bit sore though.

I hope you get well soon farmer. I didn’t really mean what I said to you yesterday.

No worries mate. Water off a duck’s (very long) back.

@farmerinthecity went to a Red Hot Chili Peppers gig. This was many years after their fame was already well established. Unlike, say, somebody going to a Snow Patrol gig in 2003 when they were promoting Final Straw.

Incorrect mate. I walked out before they came on.

Myself and Myles Dungan, who was wearing a Pixies t-shirt.