Music Questions

Kicking against the Pricks from round about 1989 is an excellent album of covers and would be a great place to start. Cave came to London with Australian punk band The Birthday Party. On no account listen to any Birthday Party records or indeed any Nick Cave records pre 1987. They are very hard work.

On a side note, Caves long time side kick Blixa Bargeld was originally the front man of German Industrial metal bashers Einsturzende Neubaten. They were quite the experience live. A typical gig would see them demolish a metal structure with angle grinders and sledgehammers to the hum of droning guitars. [quote=“Bandage, post: 623257”]
What is it Farmer? I can’t see site videos in work.

Could someone please tell me about Nick Cave? Have been listening to bits of his stuff over the last week. Some of it appears to border on genius but I’ve only been listening to random songs. Anyone recommend particular albums or where to start?
[/quote]

Thanks chaps. :clap:

Was aware of Into My Arms and a few others but was blown away by some of the other stuff - Henry Lee with PJ Harvey (I never knew they had been an item) and I reckon O Children is sublime.

Dee ba ba bap a doo dee doo dee day day do da daaaaaa.

George Clinton Hey Man Smell My Finger?

That’s a really smashing little song and video, Farmer. :clap:

Once I thought that you were mine
Life was treating me real fine
Then one day, you just walked away
Left me to roam and fall apart
You left me crying
Outside the wall around your heart

Does anyone have information on Bloc Party for me?

I adored their 2005 debut album. The follow up wasn’t as good. Are they now uncool?

This would be an example of the type of song I love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzZQJZdcCU4&feature=related

It’s got the drums, guitar and bassline going on. Clever words and plenty of emotion in it. Smashing. Just smashing.

Can I also get some information on Sigur Ros please? Best album(s), where to start etc.

Bloc Party are making a comeback soon but Kele Okereke is rumoured not to be returning which means they will be shit. Banquet and Helicopter were favourites of mine.

larryduff is the man in the know here. I would say Takk but I know he’s a huge fan of ().

Any views on Two Door Cinema Club or Bombay Bicycle Club?

I dislike that popular song by Two Door Cinema Club, only because Vodafone use it as their hold music and when you hear that song played repeatedly for 15 odd minutes it annoys the shite out of you.

Both are average at best… Good college type bands but no more .

Bandage,

You check out Nick yet?

This is a song from The Good Son. Hairs on the back of your neck stuff.

‘Sorrow’s child grieves not what has past, but all the past still yet to come’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04XZoknUPu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqhOVY58zIo&feature=related

Agaetis Bryjun is the best Sigur Ros album. The albums since are excellent but they’ve really been just recycling the same vocal melody/formula since ( )

Bandage brackets () is by far their best album. It is one of my favourite albums ever. They have released couple since but nothing beats the eight song epic that was (). Originally none of the songs had titles but they have since post up names on their website. All of the lyrics are sung in Hopelandic which is a constructed language. An album that is best listened with headphones.
Any Dublin based Sigur Ros fans - Concert of theirs entitled Inni is playing in IFI tonight.
Bandage here is first song on ().
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPBQniIeBUg

I went to see Inni on Wednesday. Great music but the visuals were very very boring, all dull black and white and grainy. Heima was much much better.

Yeah haven’t seen it yet but thought as much. Heima was superb all right and fact it wasn’t just live concert give it added dimension. Is Inni pure concert footage from London? What is setlist like as regards old/new stuff? Very much looking forward to release of new album. Read couple of things about earlier recordings which very much appealed to me but not sure if those songs were scrapped now. Have you heard much of Jonsi’s solos stuff thraw? If so how do you rate it?

Inni is 8 or 9 songs, just 75 mins long. Concert “footage” (grainy and really ugly, I thought) interspersed with some short clips from their history. Interesting to see them on a tiny stage when just starting out but nothing amazing. Of course the music is great and it’s superb hearing it in a cinema. First two songs are off Agaetis Bryjun, and there’s a new song. TBH, I got a little disillusioned by them after (), I feel Jonsi has been singing the same repetitive melody ever since and it’s all a little dull. There’s several tracks on Ageatis Bryjun you can play alone on guitar or piano, humming along and they sound like “proper” songs. I loved the variety on that album and I haven’t been as enamoured with anything they’ve done since, although of course I still like them. But I’m not sure what albums the other Inni tracks are off.