National Football League 2015

Take a break Sid.

Armagh will walk Div 3 without getting out of second gear. If Tipperary lose to Fermanagh in the next fixture then they will have a battle on for 2nd.

Maybe but that will be their lot for the year.They will be fit,organised and well up for a battle but that will only get them so far.Something similar to Kildare when Macgeeney was in charge.

Armagh have better players than Kildare had. I don’t think Kildare had players of the quality of Clarke, Dyas, Campbell, McKeever, Mallon, Forker or Rafferty. I still think Armagh got nowhere near the credit they deserved last year.

Only Clarke and Mallon are proven. I think Clarke lacks leadership (not a negative, just his style and make-up) and I wonder who will lead the Armagh forward line. I also don’t think McGeeney thinks that way going on his record with Kildare.
McKeever is a liability, he’s a good player but he is an idiot and very capable of letting the team down.
Your rating of Dyas is based on potential. Bar a few show kick passes last year he was modest enough, good but a long way from great and ridiculously over rated by you. However he may in time be that leader I talk about, he needs to be.
Forker was good one game last year I saw, can’t remember which one, but was he even playing against Donegal?
Rafferty is talented, but again to say he is better, at this stage, than any Kildare forward of that era is nuts. He has nothing much done compared to O’Neill, Doyle or Smyth for instance.

I would imagine McGeeney will bring them maybe as close to how Kildare did, but not much more.

Armagh should get promoted, but bar one or two opponents, it’s not great preperation to play championship. The step up is huge.

Even last night watching the difference between the speed and the movement and ball skills between the Meath-Kildare match and the Cork-Monaghan & Dublin-Donegal games was stark. Armagh may well get close to matching the Div 2 sides or maybe even Derry, but it’s a massive step up in pace. It’s very hard to train for that.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1089117, member: 273”]Only Clarke and Mallon are proven. I think Clarke lacks leadership (not a negative, just his style and make-up) and I wonder who will lead the Armagh forward line. I also don’t think McGeeney thinks that way going on his record with Kildare.
McKeever is a liability, he’s a good player but he is an idiot and very capable of letting the team down.
Your rating of Dyas is based on potential. Bar a few show kick passes last year he was modest enough, good but a long way from great and ridiculously over rated by you. However he may in time be that leader I talk about, he needs to be.
Forker was good one game last year I saw, can’t remember which one, but was he even playing against Donegal?
Rafferty is talented, but again to say he is better, at this stage, than any Kildare forward of that era is nuts. He has nothing much done compared to O’Neill, Doyle or Smyth for instance.

I would imagine McGeeney will bring them maybe as close to how Kildare did, but not much more.

Armagh should get promoted, but bar one or two opponents, it’s not great preperation to play championship. The step up is huge.

Even last night watching the difference between the speed and the movement and ball skills between the Meath-Kildare match and the Cork-Monaghan & Dublin-Donegal games was stark. Armagh may well get close to matching the Div 2 sides or maybe even Derry, but it’s a massive step up in pace. It’s very hard to train for that.[/QUOTE]

Armagh were ambling along for a couple of years doing nothing, McGeeney came in last year and that changed. The progress a lot of those players made last year was startling, the likes of Campbell, Dyas, Shields, Findon, Harold and Forker were delivering performances that we hadn’t seen from there. Dyas had a superb season last year, apart from the Donegal game where he was deployed as a full forward and had no impact, he was the conductor in the Armagh attack. Armagh very nearly took Donegal last year without two key players in McKeever and Caolan Rafferty, Ethan Rafferty also missed a fair chunk of the Championship, so there are plenty of positives to take. It might be premature to say that they have more quality than Kildare but I believe they do, time will tell.

There are a lot of interesting new additions to the team this year, mainly highly promising young players who jacked it in due to the apathy at the way Armagh football was heading - McKenna, Murnin, McParland (all members of the 2009 minor winning side) and O’Hanlon who made his Championship debut at 18 a couple of years ago are back in the squad this year. There would be an expectation that if McGeeney could get that level of performances out of those lads last year then he can do the same with these. Big things would be expected of Murnin in particular out of that bunch, he’s injured at the minute but should get his chance when that clears up.

The main worry would the lack of a reliable scorers in the full forward line and I do agree abut Clarke. If Clarke can deliver and start firing then Armagh was in the business as they got huge amount of a scoring spread from play across the team last year. 16 of their 18 points came from play against Meath through 10 scorers, 1-14 of the 1-17 they scored against Roscommon came from play through 10 players. 1-9 out of 1-11 came from play against Donegal with 6 different scorers from play. If you can get Clarke hitting four of five points from play on a regular basis then it’s going to be very tough to beat Armagh. I think what those stats tell you is that Armagh need to be much cuter in winning frees. That’s a criticism of Clarke, an admirable one in a way as he is too honest for his own good and doesn’t get the frees that he deserves.

For all the talk about McKeever’s indiscipline, he has only ever received two red cards in Championship football (as far as I’m aware), he sails close to the edge but he has been good at skirting that up to now. He’ll have to be careful this year, I’d say he, along with the likes of Forker and Findon will be marked men for a lot of referees this year. He’s a fabulous player and leader for Armagh.

I wouldn’t be particularly worried about the division 3 status, Armagh were able to up their performances last year when they needed to.

Turns out you’re not on ignore bomber…

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1089145, member: 2533”]Armagh were ambling along for a couple of years doing nothing, McGeeney came in last year and that changed. The progress a lot of those players made last year was startling, the likes of Campbell, Dyas, Shields, Findon, Harold and Forker were delivering performances that we hadn’t seen from there. Dyas had a superb season last year, apart from the Donegal game where he was deployed as a full forward and had no impact, he was the conductor in the Armagh attack. Armagh very nearly took Donegal last year without two key players in McKeever and Caolan Rafferty, Ethan Rafferty also missed a fair chunk of the Championship, so there are plenty of positives to take. It might be premature to say that they have more quality than Kildare but I believe they do, time will tell.

There are a lot of interesting new additions to the team this year, mainly highly promising young players who jacked it in due to the apathy at the way Armagh football was heading - McKenna, Murnin, McParland (all members of the 2009 minor winning side) and O’Hanlon who made his Championship debut at 18 a couple of years ago are back in the squad this year. There would be an expectation that if McGeeney could get that level of performances out of those lads last year then he can do the same with these. Big things would be expected of Murnin in particular out of that bunch, he’s injured at the minute but should get his chance when that clears up.

The main worry would the lack of a reliable scorers in the full forward line and I do agree abut Clarke. If Clarke can deliver and start firing then Armagh was in the business as they got huge amount of a scoring spread from play across the team last year. 16 of their 18 points came from play against Meath through 10 scorers, 1-14 of the 1-17 they scored against Roscommon came from play through 10 players. 1-9 out of 1-11 came from play against Donegal with 6 different scorers from play. If you can get Clarke hitting four of five points from play on a regular basis then it’s going to be very tough to beat Armagh. I think what those stats tell you is that Armagh need to be much cuter in winning frees. That’s a criticism of Clarke, an admirable one in a way as he is too honest for his own good and doesn’t get the frees that he deserves.

For all the talk about McKeever’s indiscipline, he has only ever received two red cards in Championship football (as far as I’m aware), he sails close to the edge but he has been good at skirting that up to now. He’ll have to be careful this year, I’d say he, along with the likes of Forker and Findon will be marked men for a lot of referees this year. He’s a fabulous player and leader for Armagh.

I wouldn’t be particularly worried about the division 3 status, Armagh were able to up their performances last year when they needed to.[/QUOTE]
Div 2 last year, despite relegation, would still be better than most of this year.
2 red cards is a lot though, for McKeever. Championship is knock out bar one game.
However I do agree an accept players will naturally improve and the likes of those mention will be better this year.

Poor Sid is still seething over the Tipperary minors celebrating in front of the hill after defeating the duds in 2011.

Watched the Monaghan-Cork game back there this morning, good game. I find it bizarre that Kevin was on here in full meltdown mode at the referee in the Mayo-Tyrone game and how he was favouring Tyrone yet was very quiet on the ref in the Monaghan-Cork game, in fact he even praised him. Five of Cork’s first seven scores were very dubious frees, particularly when allowing what amounted to virtual assaults on Hughes and McManus at the other end of the pitch. Monaghan had a clear penalty turned down and Hughes and McManus got very little out of the ref despite being virtually assaulted anytime the ball went into them. Cork also had a few certain black cards not given, Loughrey and Clancy had more than enough cynical fouls to have been sent off.

Ryan Wylie is still a bit green at this level, although he cleaned up on O’Neill for a lot of the ball in he made a few big errors that were punished by goals. O’Neill is the most clinical forward in the game, if he gets a chance he will finish it but I don’t think his ability to win ball against a sticky marker is great. Monaghan are badly lacking in size around the middle of the pitch, this showed against a big physical team like Cork. I thought Cork looked fairly ragged at the back when Monaghan moved the ball in but were dominant around the middle of the pitch which allowed them to get the points.

Eoin Lennon is a huge loss at the minute, not sure what the story is with his injury but he hasn’t played since the league final against Donegal last year, I wonder whether we might have seen the last of him. Big Dick is well past it and only fit for the final 10-15 minutes of the game while the likes of McAdam, Hughes and Finlay are not natural midfielders and of much more value in other positions. Overall they need to try and get a bit more size around the middle of the pitch, Gollogly, McAnespie and Malone are all lovely and hard working footballers but they are all too small to play around the same area together. Daniel McKenna impressed me again, shows very well out in front and is another good option for that full forward line.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1092109, member: 2533”]Watched the Monaghan-Cork game back there this morning, good game. I find it bizarre that Kevin was on here in full meltdown mode at the referee in the Mayo-Tyrone game and how he was favouring Tyrone yet was very quiet on the ref in the Monaghan-Cork game, in fact he even praised him. Five of Cork’s first seven scores were very dubious frees, particularly when allowing what amounted to virtual assaults on Hughes and McManus at the other end of the pitch. Monaghan had a clear penalty turned down and Hughes and McManus got very little out of the ref despite being virtually assaulted anytime the ball went into them. Cork also had a few certain black cards not given, Loughrey and Clancy had more than enough cynical fouls to have been sent off.

Ryan Wylie is still a bit green at this level, although he cleaned up on O’Neill for a lot of the ball in he made a few big errors that were punished by goals. O’Neill is the most clinical forward in the game, if he gets a chance he will finish it but I don’t think his ability to win ball against a sticky marker is great. Monaghan are badly lacking in size around the middle of the pitch, this showed against a big physical team like Cork. I thought Cork looked fairly ragged at the back when Monaghan moved the ball in but were dominant around the middle of the pitch which allowed them to get the points.

Eoin Lennon is a huge loss at the minute, not sure what the story is with his injury but he hasn’t played since the league final against Donegal last year, I wonder whether we might have seen the last of him. Big Dick is well past it and only fit for the final 10-15 minutes of the game while the likes of McAdam, Hughes and Finlay are not natural midfielders and of much more value in other positions. Overall they need to try and get a bit more size around the middle of the pitch, Gollogly, McAnespie and Malone are all lovely and hard working footballers but they are all too small to play around the same area together. Daniel McKenna impressed me again, shows very well out in front and is another good option for that full forward line.[/QUOTE]

Wylie got absolutely destroyed by O’Neill

O’Neill actually won very little ball in. He had three scores from play, He’s probably the best finisher the game but he was beat to the ball most times by Wylie. The referee was using different rules when it came to the tackles for both sides. Cork midfield duo were very good and they had much more success when they started running at Monaghan in the second half, when they were trying to play the ball in early to Hurley and O’Neill the two Wileys were cleaning up.

Maguire should also have been black carded for his tackle on McAdam at the start of the second half.

What a sad bastard tho guy is. Watched back a game to pick points in Corks game. Laughable assessment of the ref. Ya he got one or two wrong, but he was one of the main reasons it was a good game.

Cork are not physically imposing around the middle, that’s bizarre. Brian O Driscoll is a physical player and Cadogan is but will hardly play half back but other than that there is a distinct lack of physicality around the middle. McGuire is big but not overly physical, a good ball playing big man maybe like Kevin Walsh or Dermot Early. But won’t be a Daragh O Se or Paul McGrane.

That assessment is like one you’d get from an auld lad in the pub who is half pissed and can’t really remember the match.

As an aside, I was standing beside Brian Hurley the other day, he is far far smaller in civvies than you would think. 5’10 absolute max. He plays much bigger.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1092177, member: 273”]What a sad bastard tho guy is. Watched back a game to pick points in Corks game. Laughable assessment of the ref. Ya he got one or two wrong, but he was one of the main reasons it was a good game.

Cork are not physically imposing around the middle, that’s bizarre. Brian O Driscoll is a physical player and Cadogan is but will hardly play half back but other than that there is a distinct lack of physicality around the middle. McGuire is big but not overly physical, a good ball playing big man maybe like Kevin Walsh or Dermot Early. But won’t be a Daragh O Se or Paul McGrane.

That assessment is like one you’d get from an auld lad in the pub who is half pissed and can’t really remember the match.

As an aside, I was standing beside Brian Hurley the other day, he is far far smaller in civvies than you would think. 5’10 absolute max. He plays much bigger.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t watch it back to pick holes in the Cork performance and the only laughable assessment of a ref came from you in the Mayo-Tyrone game in any case. The irony of you screaming blue murder in the Mayo-Tyrone game and then keeping schtum on the Monaghan-Cork game is clearly lost on you. Cork got handy frees all game and should have had three black cards for Clancy, Cadogan and Maguire while the other Clancy and Loughrey were hanging out of their men all afternoon.

I doubt any of that Cork team is under 5"11. They are a big physical side but very poor tacklers and undisciplined at the back.

When are you making good on your word and resigning from the forum like you promised?

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1092182, member: 2533”]I didn’t watch it back to pick holes in the Cork performance and the only laughable assessment of the ref came from you in the Mayo-Tyrone game in any case. The irony of you screaming blue murder in the Mayo-Tyrone game and then keeping schtum on the Monaghan-Cork game is clearly lost on you. Cork got handy frees all game and should have had three black cards for Clancy, Cadogan and Maguire while the other Clancy and Loughrey were hanging out of their men all afternoon.

I doubt any of that Cork team is under 5"11. They are a big physical side but very poor tacklers and undisciplined at the back.

When are you making good on your word and resigning from the forum like you promised?[/QUOTE]

Hurley is under 5’11 in fairness.

Almost as sad as pretending to watch Meath minor games while in Australia.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1092182, member: 2533”]I didn’t watch it back to pick holes in the Cork performance and the only laughable assessment of a ref came from you in the Mayo-Tyrone game in any case. The irony of you screaming blue murder in the Mayo-Tyrone game and then keeping schtum on the Monaghan-Cork game is clearly lost on you. Cork got handy frees all game and should have had three black cards for Clancy, Cadogan and Maguire while the other Clancy and Loughrey were hanging out of their men all afternoon.

When are you making good on your word and resigning from the forum like you promised?[/QUOTE]
Nobody, not even the Monaghan team or management from what I saw, pointed at the referee. Everyone thought it was a good game.
You are the only one bizarrely bringing it up.
You are an insanely insecure person.

Cork actually, going on the 5 lads I saw for UCC last week, have improved their technical tackling out of sight.
And Cork have plenty smallish players, especially around the middle 8 compared to other teams.
A full strength Monaghan would be significantly bigger than Cork.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1092198, member: 273”]Nobody, not even the Monaghan team or management from what I saw, pointed at the referee. Everyone thought it was a good game.
You are the only one bizarrely bringing it up.
You are an insanely insecure person.

Cork actually, going on the 5 lads I saw for UCC last week, have improved their technical tackling out of sight.
And Cork have plenty smallish players, especially around the middle 8 compared to other teams.
A full strength Monaghan would be significantly bigger than Cork.[/QUOTE]

I’m bringing up the fact that you were harping on about the referee in the Tyrone Mayo game had an influencing factor in Tyrone’s favour (which was rubbish) and then you kept very quiet on the Monaghan and Cork game where there were a number of dubious decisions given in Cork’s favour. The non-award of black cards to Cadogan for a foot trip on McManus and Clancy jumping on top of McManus to bring him down late on were bizarre given that Mone had been black carded earlier (righfully) - yet your were on here last week screaming for phantom penalties and black cards to be awarded against Tryone. Cork players were also vehemently protesting the most blatant of frees given against them so reactions won’t tell you too much.

Cork don’t have many small players at all, certainly not in that game and they were close enough to full strength. Monaghan have the likes of, Mone, McAnespie and Gollogly who are all small guys of 5"9 or under.

And I notice you are still avoiding the fact that you promised to resign from the forum should Tyrone have got a positive result in Castlebar.

Ken o Halloran - 6’3
Tom Clancy (Clon) - 5’11
Tom Clancy (F) - 6’0
James Loughry - 6’0 (I have my doubts)
Conor Dorman - 6’1
Noel Galvin - 5’11
Brian O Driscoll - 6’0 (extremely doubtful, he looked shorter than Tom Clancy Clon coming off the field the last day)
Colm O Driscoll - 5’9
Ian McGuire - 6’3
Fintan Goold - 6’1
John O Rourke - 5’10
Donnacha O Connor - 6’p
Mark Collins - 5’11

I could go on but that’s the bulk of the 1-12 who have played recent games.

I know club teams bigger.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1092210, member: 2533”]I’m bringing up the fact that you were harping on about the referee in the Tyrone Mayo game had an influencing factor in Tyrone’s favour (which was rubbish) and then you kept very quiet on the Monaghan and Cork game where there were a number of dubious decisions given in Cork’s favour. The non-award of black cards to Cadogan for a foot trip on McManus and Clancy jumping on top of McManus to bring him down late on were bizarre given that Mone had been black carded earlier (righfully) - yet your were on here last week screaming for phantom penalties and black cards to be awarded against Tryone. Cork players were also vehemently protesting the most blatant of frees given against them so reactions won’t tell you too much.

Cork don’t have many small players at all, certainly not in that game and they were close enough to full strength. Monaghan have the likes of, Mone, McAnespie and Gollogly who are all small guys of 5"9 or under.

And I notice you are still avoiding the fact that you promised to resign from the forum should Tyrone have got a positive result in Castlebar.[/QUOTE]
I said I would if you agreed to do the same. You didn’t.
You piss off, you’re a broken record of nonsense