National Football League 2015

I’ve clearly read it otherwise I wouldn’t have replied. It doesn’t make any sense.

What has Monaghan’s indiscipline in a league match in March got to do with Mayo not winning the All-Ireland over the last few years?

What is your point? The sideline being too close is the reason Mayo haven’t won an All Ireland?

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1100798, member: 183”]I’ve clearly read it otherwise I wouldn’t have replied. It doesn’t make any sense.

What has Monaghan’s indiscipline in a league match in March got to do with Mayo not winning the All-Ireland over the last few years?[/QUOTE]
OK, so now you’re acknowledging that I have made a point? Why ask a question, when you have the answer?

If you wish to focus on that particular aspect of my post, I don’t believe Mayo will receive similar protection from referees when they get to Croke Park, and their inability to handle certain physical aspects of the game will continue to cost them.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100803, member: 2812”]OK, so now you’re acknowledging that I have made a point? Why ask a question, when you have the answer?

If you wish to focus on that particular aspect of my post, I don’t believe Mayo will receive similar protection from referees when they get to Croke Park, and their inability to handle certain physical aspects of the game will continue to cost them.[/QUOTE]
You don’t have a point.

You posted a video of Monaghan players committing what were obvious red card offences and you said that “this is part of the reason these soft fuckers (Mayo) choke every August/September”.

I’m not sure you know yourself what you’re talking about.

I always thought Mayo’s inability to handle top class forwards was their downfall. Geraghty/Dowd/Giles, Maurice, Cinneide/Crowley/Cooper, Cooper/Donaghy/Mike Frank, Murphy/McFadden, Brogan/Connolly.

Who’d have thought it was a league match in March. Go figure.

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 1100807, member: 180”]I always thought Mayo’s inability to handle top class forwards was their downfall. Geraghty/Dowd/Giles, Maurice, Cinneide/Crowley/Cooper, Cooper/Donaghy/Mike Frank, Murphy/McFadden, Brogan/Connolly.

Who’d have thought it was a league match in March. Go figure.[/QUOTE]
They lost to Donegal in 2012, Dublin in 2013 and drew with and subsequently lost to Kerry in 2014 mainly because of a tactical naivety in the full back line which everybody else could see but which James Horan had a consistent blind spot to. Fairly basic analysis, I would have thought.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1100806, member: 183”]You don’t have a point.

You posted a video of Monaghan players committing what were obvious red card offences and you said that “this is part of the reason these soft fuckers (Mayo) choke every August/September”.

I’m not sure you know yourself what you’re talking about.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1100806, member: 183”]You don’t have a point.

I’m not sure you know yourself what you’re talking about.[/QUOTE]
As stated, I don’t believe Mayo will receive similar protection from referees in Croke Park, and have the luxury of seeing games out against 13 men. Whilst not being the primary reason for their perennial under-achieving, it certainly may be a contributing factor.

You seem so blinded in your quest for self-gratification, that you’re inventing arguments in your head that you can win.

Cillian O’Connor failed to score from play yesterday.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100810, member: 2812”]As stated, I don’t believe Mayo will receive similar protection from referees in Croke Park, and have the luxury of seeing games out against 13 men. Whilst not being the primary reason for their perennial under-achieving, it certainly may be a contributing factor.

You seem so blinded in your quest for self-gratification, that you’re inventing arguments in your head that you can’t win[/QUOTE]
I’m saying that there’s no coherence or logic to whatever it is you’re trying to argue, which I’m still trying to work out.

In that video you posted Monaghan players committed three obvious red card offences. These are red card offences in any match. They can count themselves lucky to have only received two. Are you trying to say that they didn’t deserve red cards?

Can you please articulate the bold part of the quote a bit better than what you have above? Referees aren’t there to protect any team. They’re there to apply the rules.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1100822, member: 183”]I’m saying that there’s no coherence or logic to whatever it is you’re trying to argue, which I’m still trying to work out.

In that video you posted Monaghan players committed three obvious red card offences. These are red card offences in any match. They can count themselves lucky to have only received two. Are you trying to say that they didn’t deserve red cards?

Can you please articulate the bold part of the quote a bit better than what you have above? Referees aren’t there to protect any team. They’re there to apply the rules.[/QUOTE]

I don’t believe I need to articulate anything a bit better. However for your benefit, I will clarify at the 3 “obvious red card incidents”.

· Initial striking action with the elbow by the Mayo man to block Gollogly’s run. Petulant reaction by the Monaghan man, but the type of thing that isn’t uncommon, and rarely punished with a red. Gollogly shown red following linesman intervention. I feel that it’s at the worst red for both, or else common sense prevails and tell them both to cop on.

¡ Kieran Hughes, again struck first, and reacted. I believe, the whistle should have been blown for a free to Hughes. In the events that transpired, Hughes was lucky to stay on the field, admittedly.

· Wylie see’s red for a push on Ronaldson. Nothing incident. Possible free nothing more. Proximity of fence to sideline exaggerated the incident, and influenced ref’s decision.

I’m not defending the discipline of the Monaghan players; it was petulant and juvenile. I’m saying the decisions are questionable, and where this to happen in an AISF, the game would not end 15 v 13.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100826, member: 2812”]I don’t believe I need to articulate anything a bit better. However for your benefit, I will clarify at the 3 “obvious red card incidents”.

· Initial striking action with the elbow by the Mayo man to block Gollogly’s run. Petulant reaction by the Monaghan man, but the type of thing that isn’t uncommon, and rarely punished with a red. Gollogly shown red following linesman intervention. I feel that it’s at the worst red for both, or else common sense prevails and tell them both to cop on.
[/QUOTE]
The Mayo player appears to shove the Monaghan player. That’s something which happens many times in every match. The Monaghan player clearly strikes with the fist. Obvious red card.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100826, member: 2812”]· Kieran Hughes, again struck first, and reacted. I believe, the whistle should have been blown for a free to Hughes. In the events that transpired, Hughes was lucky to stay on the field, admittedly.
[/QUOTE]
So, a red. One strike and two attempted strikes.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100826, member: 2812”]· Wylie see’s red for a push on Ronaldson. Nothing incident. Possible free nothing more. Proximity of fence to sideline exaggerated the incident, and influenced ref’s decision.
[/QUOTE]
If you deliberately push somebody into a barrier like that you can seriously injure them. That’s not just a red, that’s a complete dereliction of the duty of care a player has for his opponent and would be assault if you did that anywhere else. The Monaghan player knew exactly what he was doing too.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100826, member: 2812”]
I’m not defending the discipline of the Monaghan players; it was petulant and juvenile. I’m saying the decisions are questionable, and where this to happen in an AISF, the game would not end 15 v 13.[/QUOTE]
Why wouldn’t it? Loads of players have been sent off in All-Ireland semi-finals and finals and some, like Diarmuid Marsden and Tony Davis for far less serious incidents than the ones in that video. Mayo had a player sent-off in both semi-finals last year you might recall. There has even been an All-Ireland final which ended up 12 v 14. The status of a match is irrelevant to the application of the rules.

If you deliberately push somebody into a barrier like that you can seriously injure them. That’s not just a red, that’s a complete dereliction of the duty of care a player has for his opponent and would be assault if you did that anywhere else.

Are you Mark Ronaldson’s mother? This is the most hyperbolic statement I’ve seen in a while. Do you believe inter-county players are briefed pre-match on this “duty of care” for their direct opponents? Whilst not suggesting, Wylie deliberately sought to injure his man, do you not acknowledge that players will flirt with the boundaries of legality in an effort to intimidate, and gain the upper hand on their direct opponent? Surely, you can’t be that naive to actually believe what you just typed?

[quote=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100826”]
I’m not defending the discipline of the Monaghan players; it was petulant and juvenile. I’m saying the decisions are questionable[/quote] Do you need an eye test? Is that why your video evidence was in slow motion too?
:smiley:

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1100836, member: 1517”]Do you need an eye test? Is that why your video evidence was in slow motion too?
:D[/QUOTE]
What’s your point pal?

And please, I don’t have any time for repetition.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100833, member: 2812”]If you deliberately push somebody into a barrier like that you can seriously injure them. That’s not just a red, that’s a complete dereliction of the duty of care a player has for his opponent and would be assault if you did that anywhere else.

Are you Mark Ronaldson’s mother? This is the most hyperbolic statement I’ve seen in a while. Do you believe inter-county players are briefed pre-match on this “duty of care” for their direct opponents? Whilst not suggesting, Wylie deliberately sought to injure his man, do you not acknowledge that players will flirt with the boundaries of legality in an effort to intimidate, and gain the upper hand on their direct opponent? Surely, you can’t be that naive to actually believe what you just typed?[/QUOTE]
Do you understand that Gaelic football has rules and is not some primitive game of neanderthal tribal warfare, much as you might want it to be?

If you don’t think being shoved into a barrier like that can injure a person, hey, why not try it out yourself?

Monaghan went out to throw their weight around and got exactly what was coming to them - a tanking. You want to blame everybody else but Monaghan when they have nobody but themselves to blame and were lucky to escape with only two red cards.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1100838, member: 183”]Do you understand that Gaelic football has rules and is not some primitive game of neanderthal tribal warfare, much as you might want it to be?

If you don’t think being shoved into a barrier like that can injure a person, hey, why not try it out yourself?

Monaghan went out to throw their weight around and got exactly what was coming to them - a tanking. You want to blame everybody else but Monaghan when they have nobody but themselves to blame and were lucky to escape with only two red cards.[/QUOTE]

The game was very close, with Monaghan to have the wind in the second half. They had no reason to resort to “tribal warfare”.

I’m well aware of the rules, but if you are so blinkered to believe that teams do not set out to push the physical boundaries in an effort to exploit weakness in their opponent, then you have no understanding of the game.

It is gas the way so many blame Mayo forwards for not winning Sam. More often in recent times it has been at the back where the bigger issues arose

Backs were asleep for Brogans goal in 2013, had 2 goals conceded before the woke up v Donegal in 2012, Kerry forwards have had the freedom of the park in a few finals against them.

I don’t know what markers you are talking about viz a viz the league and championship. The only markers of relevance in both is that Kerry are well ahead of the Dubs in the roll of honour in both. Kerry will be for another 10 years or so even if this brilliant Dublin team goes on to win 10 in a row

Their starting full forward line managed 1-03 from play over the two finals, Conroy scoring a point in 2012 and Moran with 1-02 in 2013.

In 2012, Murphy and McFadden contributed 0-06 points from play between them.

In 2013, Dublin’s starting full forward line hit 2-03 from play.

In 2014, Kerry’s hit 2-02 from play.

They have severely lacked leadership from their full forward line in recent years and had they got it from one of them then they would have won an All Ireland.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1100840, member: 2812”]The game was very close, with Monaghan to have the wind in the second half. They had no reason to resort to “tribal warfare”.

I’m well aware of the rules, but if you are so blinkered to believe that teams do not set out to push the physical boundaries in an effort to exploit weakness in their opponent, then you have no understanding of the game.[/QUOTE]
There are no circumstances in which deliberately shoving a player backwards into an advertising hoarding like that is acceptable. If you don’t understand that, you have a problem understanding not just sport but society.

Ronaldson was off balance and travelling backwards at speed with no protection for the back of his head. That’s an obvious recipe for serious injury and I shudder to think what the outcome would have been had it occurred at Parnell Park where there are foot-thick walls lining the pitch.

I would have thought an Irish person living in Australia would understand better than most how somebody hitting the back of their head after being pushed over can suffer serious injury and even death, but apparently not.