National Football League 2015

[QUOTE=ā€œIl Bomber Destro, post: 1101282, member: 2533ā€]He was a good footballer, hugely overrated due to his persona. Donnacadh Walsh was every bit as important to Kerry but was unheralded because he didnā€™t have a hipster beard, tattoos and wasnā€™t an attention seeker.

Then again, youā€™re the same guy who thinks Paddy Kelly was a better footballer than McConville.

I would imagine Cork are playing defensive football to protect a very vulnerable defence.[/QUOTE]
Galvin and Walsh were different players but Galvin has a lot more done and scored easier as well. Not to mention his delivery and two feet which were both superior to Walsh. Itā€™s just an argument for the sake of it. Nobody I know from Kerry ever put the 2 in the same bracket anyway.

Cork have very good defenders, itā€™s just the coaching seems lazy and short term focused or reactionary to put a more flexible system in place. Now it did change somewhat from Monaghan to Donegal and MaGuire is a loss going on his form in first two games. But there ismā€™ much point in playing that way against teams who will be able to use long delivery i.e Donegal and Kerry, to ball winning target men. You can have one man back sure sweeping, but packing it without ball carrying attack minded backs was silly.
Tactics is all about players. Putting certain skills in certain positions to perform certain tasks in a certain part of the pitch. Corks transitional players in previous league games had been Brian ODriscoll, Dorman, MaGuire and to a lesser extent Cadogan and Loughry. None of the first 3 were playing.
There is a clear lack of tactical nous and sports science application in Cork compared to other top counties, in both codes. The placing of Damien Cahalane at corner back is another example of the square peg in round hole syndrome.

Galvin fell off the map when he wasnā€™t playing. Iā€™d say heā€™ll use this as an attempt to relaunch himself back into the social scene.

Of course he will. There is no football form of any note to suggest he should be back. In fact itā€™s probably him being selfish and putting his brother in law in an awkward position. The other thing is heā€™s in Dublin now isnā€™t he? So heā€™ll still miss a bit of training.

The only thing was, he trained fairly poorly, especially in the gym. Now maybe Cian O Neill has had an influence there or something and maybe has got him right.

James O Donoghue was on Newstalk Off the Ball recently. They asked him about the famous Cork U21 beating his Kerry U21 team took. He named out the Kerry team that played, when you think about the talent they had it was shocking to see them take such a timbering, but he reasoned that it was just one of those days, they were away in PĆ”irc ƚi Rinn with a big home Cork crowd and Cork got a run on them. Following that he just basically said that Cork team were merely oversized gym monkeys for the most part and once the Kerry boys filled out and their strength increased they were confident things would quickly improve due to their greater talent and skill.

That book he had last year seemed to get a lot of press. You think Fitzmaurice is using the Kerry panel to give his brother in law a dig out?

[QUOTE=ā€œcaoimhaoin, post: 1101310, member: 273ā€]Of course he will. There is no football form of any note to suggest he should be back. In fact itā€™s probably him being selfish and putting his brother in law in an awkward position. The other thing is heā€™s in Dublin now isnā€™t he? So heā€™ll still miss a bit of training.

The only thing was, he trained fairly poorly, especially in the gym. Now maybe Cian O Neill has had an influence there or something and maybe has got him right.[/QUOTE]

Ah in fairness you wouldnā€™t turn Galvin down as a member of the panel anyway. Be a big test for him later in the year if he isnā€™t up to pace not starting/dropping him.

I agree, but I would imagine Fitzmaurice is smart enough to have laid down conditions on his return to the panel, heā€™d be an idiot if he didnā€™t and he doesnā€™t strike me as an idiot. Galvin will know the score early on.

Fitzmaurice wants back to back, and its notoriously hard to do in the modern game. Galvin gives him some serious bite in the squad, a possible on field leader and manic drive. He sure as shit brings a whole lot more with him as well of course, but thereā€™s no way Fitzmaurice hasnā€™t gone through this thoroughly in his own mind first.

Saying that, Iā€™d have left him where he was, but Iā€™m not foolish enough to think I know better than someone like Eamon Fitzmaurice.

[QUOTE=ā€œmyboyblue, post: 1101316, member: 180ā€]I agree, but I would imagine Fitzmaurice is smart enough to have laid down conditions on his return to the panel, heā€™d be an idiot if he didnā€™t and he doesnā€™t strike me as an idiot. Galvin will know the score early on.

Fitzmaurice wants back to back, and its notoriously hard to do in the modern game. Galvin gives him some serious bite in the squad, a possible on field leader and manic drive. He sure as shit brings a whole lot more with him as well of course, but thereā€™s no way Fitzmaurice hasnā€™t gone through this thoroughly in his own mind first.

Saying that, Iā€™d have left him where he was, but Iā€™m not foolish enough to think I know better than someone like Eamon Fitzmaurice.[/QUOTE]

There seems to be some automatic consensus that heā€™ll play half back that came out with the announcement. So maybe Fitz went back and asked him to step into that role. Strange as half back was one of their strongest lines last year, although it could be argued one of their lightest cover wise.

No big deal here, Galvin probably retired too soon anyway. His form had not dropped off alarmingly before he announced his retirement. If Fitzmaurice sees a role for him then he will do a job.

I think that came about because its simply impossible to see a place for him in the forwards given whats there and with Bryan Sheehan, Tommy Walsh and Cooper to be added to it. I think he could be an excellent free man/sweeper across the half back line, but it all depends on his fitness and conditioning.

Can you imagine the roar that goes up in Croke Park when Galvin trots in off the bench against the Dubs, etc?

Or the one that when he trots back off 5 minutes later :smiley:

[QUOTE=ā€œmyboyblue, post: 1101319, member: 180ā€]
Or the one that when he trots back off 5 minutes later :D[/QUOTE]

:smiley: Youā€™d like to think he has learned from his mistakes but last years Kerry Hurling final would sadly beg to differ.
I suppose he wouldnā€™t be any good without that angry man boiling away inside him.

[QUOTE=ā€œJulio Geordio, post: 1101321, member: 332ā€]:smiley: Youā€™d like to think he has learned from his mistakes but last years Kerry Hurling final would sadly beg to differ.
I suppose he wouldnā€™t be any good without that angry man boiling away inside him.[/QUOTE]
Ah you donā€™t learn at 35, if anything you just get crankier in my experience :mad:

Fitzmaurice is having a lend of everyone with this. Galvin will no more play senior football for Kerry this year than I will.

[SIZE=6]TomĆ”s Ɠ SĆ©: 'Paul has never been far off the pace - and he wonā€™t be now[/SIZE]
http://www.independent.ie/incoming/article30564362.ece/7548d/ALTERNATES/w50square/tomas-ose-bio_BW.jpg[/URL][B][SIZE=4][URL=ā€˜http://www.independent.ie/opinion/independent-journalists/tomas-o-se/ā€™]TomĆ”s Ɠ Se [/SIZE][/B]

One question has to be addressed first in assessing Paul Galvinā€™s return to the Kerry squad last night. Is he one of the best 25 footballers in the county right now?

To me the answer is a definitive yes. So to my m ind his comeback after more than a year away is not a gamble even though the media are likely to portray it as one.

There isnā€™t a mentally stronger footballer I know to take on this challenge.

Iā€™m surprised by it, I didnā€™t see it coming but I do know that he wasnā€™t always at ease with himself last year over the decision he made. It hurt him to walk away and he found it hard even to go to matches early on.

But his body wasnā€™t right when he made the decision and I suspect that is something that has changed now.

Paul will have dilligently kept up his training routine over the last year. Thatā€™s the way he is, heā€™s always in great shape. I remember when he was out of the picture for three months with his suspension in 2008 he came back flying. I know from my perspective I couldnā€™t do that. A month away and Iā€™d be feeling sluggish. But Paul is different, he has never been far off the pace and I donā€™t think he will be now.

He is a very passionate guy, especially for Kerry football and he would have given this a lot of thought. So too would Eamonn Fitzmaurice. This decision would not have been taken lightly by either of them.

I expect that Paul will have weighed up the odds and accepted that he is down the pecking order right now but no better man to try and haul himself up. If he can contribute as a substitute I think heā€™ll be happy to do so.

He has surprised me in a good way in so many parts of his life.

I only hope this wonā€™t be portrayed as a distraction if things donā€™t go right for Kerry. Itā€™s anything but that and I think the group of players will be tough enough to deal with it.

I feel he is still best suited to playing in the half-forward despite suspicions that he will revert to defence. To my mind he was tried there before and it didnā€™t suit him and anyway Kerryā€™s defence is a lot better than many will give them credit for. It will make for another very interesting summer for Kerry.

Irish Independent

True or not I thought the fire had gone out in Galvin in his last 2 years of playing. Cant see what heā€™s going to bring to the party now. A lot of Kerry players grew up last year and took the bull by the horns so canā€™t see the real need for Galvin as a leader.

if a patched up Declan o Sullivan can get through a season playing in that Kerry system then so can Paul Galvinā€¦iā€™d expect him to play the similar roleā€¦coming on as sub , dropping deep and hitting thoso 20-30 metre passes he does so wellā€¦Galvin is a great reader of the game and with Kerry having men back he wonā€™t have to run here there and everywhere ā€¦ a great optionā€¦

You mug.
His form was poor and he hasnā€™t played more than a handful of games of football in about 15/16 months.

Having said that a sweeper role on occasion may suit him down to the ground. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if he was used in double sub situations. Starting an coming off to go back on or the like.

Doesnā€™t get away from it being a massive risk PR wise or for the image of him. However from a squad/football POV itā€™s no big deal is true. Players donā€™t think half as much about shit like this as people think. And neither will Fitzmaurice. If it works it works, if not (most likely scenario) then Kerry are no worse off than they were anyway and are already strengthened from last year.

I see a lot of people on here bought into the hype around the angry hipster

Unreal

Ya, thatā€™s precisely the thinking. However while heā€™s good, heā€™s not DOS. Mind you he may not really have to be. As you say the system can carry a certain type of player, he may well be that.

[QUOTE=ā€œscumpot, post: 1101034, member: 182ā€]completely inaccurate ā€¦I never said that Dublin players have never lost to Kerry, I said a lot havenā€™t ā€¦
I agree about Gavinā€¦ and iā€™m objective enough to admit that the likes Bastick and philly macmahon seek trouble a lot of the timeā€¦but thereā€™s none worse than Donaghy in my mindā€¦great footballer but an absolute clownā€¦ always trying to get in the face of his opponent with thrash talking and other habits borrowed from sports like basketballā€¦
on separate noteā€¦ would you be happy for Kerry to win all Ireland in the manner they won it last year or would you like them to go back to their more traditional footballing style with the gooch back in the fold?..to me that final was an example of everything wrong with the way sport has gone - desperation to win over everything elseā€¦it was putrid stuffā€¦[/QUOTE]

well we lost a classic shoot out v Dublin in the semi final the year before. Be nicer to win an all Ireland final in that manner but Kerry aint choosey about how the win them and nor am I. To be honest Dublinā€™s win over Mayo in 2013 was nearly as putrid a game. Dublin put in a lot of rugby tackles especially late in that game so desperate they were to hold on and prevent Mayo gather momentum in closing stages