National Football League 2015

you hear all these bullshit stories…I remember hearing once that a certain tyrone defender put his fists up in front of his Dublin opponents face to reveal a digit of the Dub’s girlfriend’s mobile number written on each finger…

different sport i know but @The Selfish Giant had a great one about Gadaffi Zayed

I can tell you now I have better sources from both sides. And one just has to wonder why there wa a need for a phone call and outside intervention back along. In fairness what I hve been told by a Cork friend of Galvin is that he doesn’t think he would ever say such a thing, and can be nasty but would have a limit.
Anyway, the point is mute, my post was on why there was such distaste for him. Weather it was true or not is not really the point (however the unfairness of attack on Galvins character if untrue), it was a way of explaining why the anger at him. I gave one reason why.

As for the competition between them, I’d say Galvin won overall on points. But NOL definitely win a few battles.

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 1102131, member: 367”]yeah look, i heard that too, not sure if posting it up here is worthwhile as its all he said , she said type shit,
i agree that they are said to be decent mates off the park which really puts paid to the silly “booing” of the cork support
bottom line is that Galvin has mugged off Cork on many occasions, medals in back pocket, etc… cork football would be better served in trying to get a decent HB line together as if he he’ll tear them a new one again next august[/QUOTE]

it’s a “quote”, or a story should we say, that was around for a long time before Galvin and O Leary were on the field. I personally dont believe it at all, and I’m nearly sure O Leary rubbished it in an interview some time ago. The fact that it is still used by Cork people as a reason to dislike Galvin says it all. Galvin thrives on that sort of stuff too, loves being the figure of hate and attention and once he learned to control his own aggression and use it positively, he was an excellent player.

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 1102134, member: 367”]@Bisto
advice mate[/QUOTE]
that’s you first mistake pal…

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 1102134, member: 367”]
lad sick all week, off creche, herself going spare and now on the saturday im planning on leaving the house at 3 to go on the drink till about 11p to the double header
thoughts?[/QUOTE]
i’d go from 3 til whenever you feel ready to go home pal…you’re getting the bollocking either way so you might as well let the handbrake off and go proper al queda…as underground as one can go…you’ll be so hungover on sunday you won’t even be able to hear her ramblings…

It’s never been rubbished Gman. And they are a long way from friends.

Do people really believe all this rubbish that’s written in the papers?
They agreed to move on, I’m sure they both moved on.
NOL never spoke about it, it was a 3rd party who reportedly heard the comment if I remember correctly.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1102138, member: 273”]I can tell you now I have better sources from both sides. And one just has to wonder why there wa a need for a phone call and outside intervention back along. In fairness what I hve been told by a Cork friend of Galvin is that he doesn’t think he would ever say such a thing, and can be nasty but would have a limit.
Anyway, the point is mute, my post was on why there was such distaste for him. Weather it was true or not is not really the point (however the unfairness of attack on Galvins character if untrue), it was a way of explaining why the anger at him. I gave one reason why.

As for the competition between them, I’d say Galvin won overall on points. But NOL definitely win a few battles.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure how you can considering you dont know my source.

but one of the key reasons for hating Galvin is over a comment in all likelihood he never made. That is a point, as if that explains the anger for Galvin, then it is a really dumb reason.

Marty CLarke was on OTB there a while back absolutely singing O learys praise and how he totally destroyed him in the AI final. No doubt O leary won some of his battles with Galvin too.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1102142, member: 273”]It’s never been rubbished Gman. And they are a long way from friends.

Do people really believe all this rubbish that’s written in the papers?
They agreed to move on, I’m sure they both moved on.
NOL never spoke about it, it was a 3rd party who reportedly heard the comment if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE]

so people shouldnt believe rubbish in papers, but believe a rumour, reportedly perpetuated from a third party who heard it? And a comment that was doing the rounds for years and plenty of other rumours of it being said in other games which has given it an urban legend type scenario.

I thought O Leary said something about it after he retired.

[quote=“Gman, post: 1102143”]Marty CLarke was on OTB there a while back absolutely singing O learys praise and how he totally destroyed him in the AI final. No doubt O leary won some of his battles with Galvin too.
[/quote]
Good interview that actually, came across very well. Bizarre to think Down were so oblivious to the Noel O Leary plan, its not like it was a completely unbelievable prospect that he’d be told to hunt Clarke around Croke Park.

Interview with O Leary after he retired. Doesnt rubbish the rumour as much as I thought he had, but fair to say, it doesnt sound like a man who had a comment made to him as alledged. “I wouldnt have a bad word said against Paul”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/ive-had-a-fair-innings-says-retiring-cork-ace-oleary-246584.html

Part of the reason O’Leary was such a favourite with the Cork support was his long-running battle with Kerry star Paul Galvin, with the two players getting involved in several skirmishes over the years.
“He texted me after we won the All-Ireland, in fairness,” said O’Leary.
“Look, we had a few clashes over the years but I think in reality a lot of those were blown slightly out of proportion by the media.
“I’d have nothing but respect for Paul as a player and I’d hope he’d feel the same way about myself.
“Yes, we had our battles in various games, those are memories I won’t forget, but I wouldn’t have a bad word said against Paul.
“I’d appreciate everything he did and achieved as a player, and hopefully down the road we could meet up and have a few drinks and a chat.”
And a chat about fashion, given Galvin’s well-known interest in cutting-edge clothing? “You never know, but he’d have a fair job on his hands sorting out my fashion sense.”

a temperamental proud kerryman and a temperamental proud cork man from near the Kerry border…of course they were going to clash…and over the most trivial incident… the thing I always found odd about galvin was the way he seemed surprised and almost victimised when a lad went to have a cut off him…it was like because he wasn’t in the mood it wasn’t on to have a go off him when he himself had made his name early on antagonising lads…

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1102143, member: 112”]I’m not sure how you can considering you dont know my source.

but one of the key reasons for hating Galvin is over a comment in all likelihood he never made. That is a point, as if that explains the anger for Galvin, then it is a really dumb reason.

Marty CLarke was on OTB there a while back absolutely singing O learys praise and how he totally destroyed him in the AI final. No doubt O leary won some of his battles with Galvin too.

so people shouldnt believe rubbish in papers, but believe a rumour, reportedly perpetuated from a third party who heard it? And a comment that was doing the rounds for years and plenty of other rumours of it being said in other games which has given it an urban legend type scenario.

I thought O Leary said something about it after he retired.[/QUOTE]
Well my sources are from both sides, and there is a clear memo not to talk about it. If it didn’t happen then surely it would be rubbished.
Hating any GAA player you don’t know - yes dumb
The reasoning if true however I think is legitimate enough. However my take on it is, and this is kinda reading between lines a bit(and taking the word of one person), 2 men showed some real maturity and one with an apology the other with forgiveness and they moved on. Others didn’t. Footballers would know shit happens and things are said.

Do you ye not have some crazy dumbass gas supporters in Wexford who roar and shout at opposition like apes? I find it hard to believe ye don’t. And considering a Wexford fan was once arrested in front of me for brandishing a knife I’m pretty sure ye have mad cunts as well with a few screws loose.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1102151, member: 273”]Well my sources are from both sides, and there is a clear memo not to talk about it. If it didn’t happen then surely it would be rubbished.
Hating any GAA player you don’t know - yes dumb
The reasoning if true however I think is legitimate enough. However my take on it is, and this is kinda reading between lines a bit(and taking the word of one person), 2 men showed some real maturity and one with an apology the other with forgiveness and they moved on. Others didn’t. Footballers would know shit happens and things are said.

Do you ye not have some crazy dumbass gas supporters in Wexford who roar and shout at opposition like apes? I find it hard to believe ye don’t. And considering a Wexford fan was once arrested in front of me for brandishing a knife I’m pretty sure ye have mad cunts as well with a few screws loose.[/QUOTE]

but my point is Kev that you are believing this happened, and to me it sounds like it never did. I agree, had it happened, then yes, it is legitimate enough. But I really dont think it did, and whether or not you want to believe my source (who told me of other shit Galvin did actually do, so its not as if he was hiding anything) it looks to me from the outside that it never happened, and it was a viscous rumour that riled up plenty of Cork fans, and obviously still does.

And of course there are dumbass supporters everywhere. I never said anything contradictory to that. All I was saying is I really dont believe a rumour about Galvin, which as you said was the precursor for Cork fans to hate him.

what the hell was the story with yer man with a knife? Thats fucking mental

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1102147, member: 112”]Interview with O Leary after he retired. Doesnt rubbish the rumour as much as I thought he had, but fair to say, it doesnt sound like a man who had a comment made to him as alledged. “I wouldnt have a bad word said against Paul”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/ive-had-a-fair-innings-says-retiring-cork-ace-oleary-246584.html[/QUOTE]
NOL is a hell of a man Gman. He has a very balanced view of the world. Have you ever moved on from a disagreement with someone. It’s very satisfying to do so.
No matter what happened, I admire their ability to move on, not what happened in the first place.

:D:D:D:D:D

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1102158, member: 112”]but my point is Kev that you are believing this happened, and to me it sounds like it never did. I agree, had it happened, then yes, it is legitimate enough. But I really dont think it did, and whether or not you want to believe my source (who told me of other shit Galvin did actually do, so its not as if he was hiding anything) it looks to me from the outside that it never happened, and it was a viscous rumour that riled up plenty of Cork fans, and obviously still does.

And of course there are dumbass supporters everywhere. I never said anything contradictory to that. All I was saying is I really dont believe a rumour about Galvin, which as you said was the precursor for Cork fans to hate him.

what the hell was the story with yer man with a knife? Thats fucking mental[/QUOTE]
1993 league final 2nd replay. Had been plenty bitterness and aggression between certain sections behind the town end over the couple of games. Wexford lads decided to come equipped. I got a bottle over the head (from a throw, not a strike) that day.
Plenty booze involved. It was quite close to all out war at least a few times.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1102158, member: 112”]but my point is Kev that you are believing this happened, and to me it sounds like it never did. I agree, had it happened, then yes, it is legitimate enough. But I really dont think it did, and whether or not you want to believe my source (who told me of other shit Galvin did actually do, so its not as if he was hiding anything) it looks to me from the outside that it never happened, and it was a viscous rumour that riled up plenty of Cork fans, and obviously still does.

what the hell was the story with yer man with a knife? Thats fucking mental[/QUOTE]
I would never really believe any Kerryman on anything that reflects poorly on Kerry football or it’s players.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1102160, member: 273”]NOL is a hell of a man Gman. He has a very balanced view of the world. Have you ever moved on from a disagreement with someone. It’s very satisfying to do so.
No matter what happened, I admire their ability to move on, not what happened in the first place.[/QUOTE]

jesus this is incredible stuff:D:clap::pint:

Eoin Bradley will miss Derry’s game this weekend because he’s gone on holiday :smiley:

Huh?

Glenavon have a game on Saturday.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1102163, member: 273”]1993 league final 2nd replay. Had been plenty bitterness and aggression between certain sections behind the town end over the couple of games. Wexford lads decided to come equipped. I got a bottle over the head (from a throw, not a strike) that day.
Plenty booze involved. It was quite close to all out war at least a few times.[/QUOTE]
Lucky Kev was there to act as honest broker between the two sides otherwise we could have had another Heysel on our hands.