Neil Francis

[quote=“Tabby, post: 904589, member: 2142”]One thing is for sure mickee is definitely not on a wind up. He actually believes this. Anyone who thinks he’s pulling the piss obviously lives on some liberal dream world where real people do not have opinions like this.
It’s similar to the ‘they call us white bastards what’s wrong with me calling them black bastards’ opinion.[/quote]

will you ever stop throwing coal on his fire FFS.
The issue i have is with the whole concept of the “coming out” announcement that the likes of @caoimhaoin believe is a right of passage (no pun intended) for a gay person.
Can we not live in a society where gay fellas can just get on with their lives with the rest of us without the need for this formal announcement? i find it bizarre as to why people feel this is necessary.
The likes of @caoimhaoin[/USER] and @[USER=24]farmerinthecity clearly would be pissed off if they were working with a fella who was gay but they were unaware as the “announcement” hadnt been made, they would give him more respect then of course and no, they wouldnt at all treat him differently… he “announced” it to them after all
There’s nothing wrong with being gay lads, live and let live and it is completely unnecessary that we as a society are putting these people in a position where they feel under pressure to make an “coming out” just to make us feel more at ease with ourselves

you’re some fool

Says the man talking about people who’s struggle he clearly has no understanding or knowledge of.

Do you think the Catholics in Northern Ireland should have suffered on in silence too, or the Blacks in USA, South Aftica or anywhere else?

Maybe your should ask your woman about her people’s struggles in France, something close to home might help you understand, as you are clearly too stupid to do it on your own.

You know you have lads stumped when they reach for the watch your spelling button. :smiley:

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 904616, member: 273”]Says the man talking about people who’s struggle he clearly has no understanding or knowledge of.

Do you think the Catholics in Northern Ireland should have suffered on in silence too, or the Blacks in USA, South Aftica or anywhere else?

Maybe your should ask your woman about her people’s struggles in France, something close to home might help you understand, as you are clearly too stupid to do it on your own.[/quote]

How can you compare the situation in the O6 and South Africa to gays? They draw no parallels. In any case, what way are gays being discriminated by society? Maybe in some backward country they might be getting flogged or whatever which is totally unacceptable but in most developed countries they are not really discriminated against, bar the odd idiot who hurl abuse at them but they are not a sole victim of this behaviour.

got there before i did…
This @caoimhaoin must be on a WUM here.
The thing about Moroccans in France , Jews in Arab countries or any discrimination on ethnic grounds and comparing it to gays is retarded…
Within the exception of Afghanistan, Saudi or apparently Ballinora, I wonder could Kev please provide the forum examples where gay people are discriminated against in ?
Maybe Kev expects people to document their sexuality on their CV, I can imagine him interviewing candidates now for his handing out flyer business. “C’mare, are you gay fella?, Have you come out yet?”

So it’s ok if minorities suffer abuse as long as other people do too or as long as other minorities do too?

[quote=“mickee321, post: 904610, member: 367”]will you ever stop throwing coal on his fire FFS.
The issue i have is with the whole concept of the “coming out” announcement that the likes of @caoimhaoin believe is a right of passage (no pun intended) for a gay person.
Can we not live in a society where gay fellas can just get on with their lives with the rest of us without the need for this formal announcement? i find it bizarre as to why people feel this is necessary.
The likes of @caoimhaoin[/USER] and @[USER=24]farmerinthecity clearly would be pissed off if they were working with a fella who was gay but they were unaware as the “announcement” hadnt been made, they would give him more respect then of course and no, they wouldnt at all treat him differently… he “announced” it to them after all
There’s nothing wrong with being gay lads, live and let live and it is completely unnecessary that we as a society are putting these people in a position where they feel under pressure to make an “coming out” just to make us feel more at ease with ourselves[/quote]
If they didn’t come out how would we know who to keep our children away from though?

apart from anything, Michael Sam actually ‘came out’ last August. All his team mates, coaches and friends knew. So there was no fanfare about his coming out. The reason he is doing it now on a wider scale before he enters the NFL is so he can make awareness of it on his own terms, and not by some tabloid hack who would have found out and made it an exclusive and then stir up lots of shit for him, whatever team he joins, and his team mates.

At least there is full honesty now with him, and as shown on here on the donal og thread, there will be team mates uncomfortable with him in the locker room. At least now it will be with their full knowledge before he starts, and not later on when they didnt know, and the cries of “he was gettting sexual gratification looking at my weener” shouldnt happen.

I agree with mickee in that he shouldnt have to announce he is gay, it shouldnt be an issue, but it clearly still is, and he really has no choice in the matter. The fact that all his team mates in college knew, but none went to the media over it, says a lot about a younger generation not giving a shit. Its the older dumber and stuck in the past clowns in the NFL that would have an issue, and if he didnt say it, then it would have created a far worse problem in the long run.

[quote=“Gman, post: 904634, member: 112”]apart from anything, Michael Sam actually ‘came out’ last August. All his team mates, coaches and friends knew. So there was no fanfare about his coming out. The reason he is doing it now on a wider scale before he enters the NFL is so he can make awareness of it on his own terms, and not by some tabloid hack who would have found out and made it an exclusive and then stir up lots of shit for him, whatever team he joins, and his team mates.

At least there is full honesty now with him, and as shown on here on the donal og thread, there will be team mates uncomfortable with him in the locker room. At least now it will be with their full knowledge before he starts, and not later on when they didnt know, and the cries of “he was gettting sexual gratification looking at my weener” shouldnt happen.

I agree with mickee in that he shouldnt have to announce he is gay, it shouldnt be an issue, but it clearly still is, and he really has no choice in the matter. The fact that all his team mates in college knew, but none went to the media over it, says a lot about a younger generation not giving a shit. Its the older dumber and stuck in the past clowns in the NFL that would have an issue, and if he didnt say it, then it would have created a far worse problem in the long run.[/quote]

That is my point , and that’s a decent post as well gman:clap:
lock the thread

Has Michael Sam’s stock actually fallen though? Wasn’t he always touted as being a 3rd-5th round pick despite his record in the SEC? I read articles stating his skills didn’t clearly transfer to the pro game and it was uncertain whether he would work better in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. So I’m not sure it’s correct to speculate that he was a certain first round pick but has fallen a few rounds on the back of this.

Eugene McGee in the last minute of that clip discussing some lad called T-Bow - “he’d probably be better off with the talent alright” :clap:

Wonder what Nigel Owens and Gareth Thomas make of Francis’ comments. Each to their own, couldn’t care less what people do in their own time. It’s their own business and no-one elses. To say gay lads don’t like sport is a bit ridiculous though when there are clearly many examples to the contrary.

Conor Cusack chipping in on Ray D’Arcy now.

[quote=“dodgy-keeper, post: 904648, member: 1552”]Eugene McGee in the last minute of that clip discussing some lad called T-Bow - “he’d probably be better off with the talent alright” :clap:

Wonder what Nigel Owens and Gareth Thomas make of Francis’ comments. Each to their own, couldn’t care less what people do in their own time. It’s their own business and no-one elses. To say gay lads don’t like sport is a bit ridiculous though when there are clearly many examples to the contrary.

Conor Cusack chipping in on Ray D’Arcy now.[/quote]
although I dont agree with Francis I find it odd that there has never been an Irish sport star that has come out of the closet- a sad reflection on the Oirish

Stupid comments from Francis, but not really surprising coming from that attention seeking mouthpiece.

Francis is a silly cunt but to be fair to the fool, working alongside Barry Egan has probably warped his view on gays.

Did Francis shower with Davy Tweed?

yeah I’d agree with you bandage. think this discussion is happening over 2 threads, but I read @cluaindiuic saying that his stock has fallen to mid draft status as a result, and that usually the top defensive player in the SEC would go 1st round. I’d disagree, and from reading reports on Sam, it seems for NFL standards he is too small for DE and might not have enough pace then for LB so is caught between the 2 positions and might not suit either.

Can happen, that a player who is a star at college might not be able to translate it to NFL due to size or speed, which seems to be the case for Sam. He’ll be drafted, and will find a team, but he could struggle in the long run to make it, and due to his footballing ability and nothing else. If Manti Teo could get through the year realtively unscathed and left alone by the media, then I’m sure Sam could too, depending on what team he goes to.

Surprised at one or two people’s attitude here… Most gay folk don’t make a song and dance about coming out, they tell family, friends out of respect and wanting to be honest and live the life they want to live- it’s the media, and @mickee321[/USER] that blow it up in more high profile cases. Sport is quite different and well you all know it - @[USER=112]Gman has pretty much covered a lot of it in his post. A mate of mine is gay and I can tell you now that he knows and has been with an amount of gay rugby players who will not come out to their team mates- It has a ridiculously homophobic culture yet also a homo erotic one at the same time… He told me about one lad who did come out and his team mates made his life hell, good friends joined in on the snide comments so as not to be alienated themselves. He stuck it out, after some kind words from him and his brothers towards the ring leaders, and is still playing away. Likewise, another mate who used to play rugby was telling me a few years ago of a good few lads who had come out after giving up playing…I’ve never really heard much about gay footballers locally so I don’t know if it’s a case of even greater homophobia or rugby is the preferred game of homosexual men. I’ve heard of two cases of lads coming out to GAA team mates, one a senior hurling club, and no backlash.

At the end of the day there is always going to be a big hoohaw made about a persons sexuality until it becomes a normal every day thing in sport- Papers have to sell papers and news stations need viewers- As gman said, most younger people don’t give a fuck and it’s the older heads involved in sports that will create a problem.

The first player to come out in European football, particularly England, is going to create a whole lot of media frenzy but it needs to be done sooner rather than later but easy for a straight man to sit back and make all these judgements.

Interesting stuff about the number of Hollywood stars who are gay and don’t come out as it would destroy/damage their careers in Middle East and Asia.

Gay people do come out by telling people they are gay - if you are a public figure/celeb then the media pick up on that so I think saying people shouldn’t come out is a bit silly as people generally assume you are straight “Do you have a girlfriend?” and then when people tell their friends/family that is “coming out”.

Maybe the phrase is wrong as it implies something wrong/that should be hidden.

We are moving towards another extreme now that Facebook lets you choose one of 56 genders but that is a different debate. People are not as unique/different/one of a kind as they like to think

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 904659, member: 1796”]Surprised at one or two people’s attitude here… Most gay folk don’t make a song and dance about coming out, they tell family, friends out of respect and wanting to be honest and live the life they want to live- it’s the media, and @mickee321[/USER] that blow it up in more high profile cases. Sport is quite different and well you all know it - @[USER=112]Gman has pretty much covered a lot of it in his post. A mate of mine is gay and I can tell you now that he knows and has been with an amount of gay rugby players who will not come out to their team mates- It has a ridiculously homophobic culture yet also a homo erotic one at the same time… He told me about one lad who did come out and his team mates made his life hell, good friends joined in on the snide comments so as not to be alienated themselves. He stuck it out, after some kind words from him and his brothers towards the ring leaders, and is still playing away. Likewise, another mate who used to play rugby was telling me a few years ago of a good few lads who had come out after giving up playing…I’ve never really heard much about gay footballers locally so I don’t know if it’s a case of even greater homophobia or rugby is the preferred game of homosexual men. I’ve heard of two cases of lads coming out to GAA team mates, one a senior hurling club, and no backlash.

At the end of the day there is always going to be a big hoohaw made about a persons sexuality until it becomes a normal every day thing in sport- Papers have to sell papers and news stations need viewers- As gman said, most younger people don’t give a fuck and it’s the older heads involved in sports that will create a problem.

The first player to come out in European football, particularly England, is going to create a whole lot of media frenzy but it needs to be done sooner rather than later but easy for a straight man to sit back and make all these judgements.[/quote]

are you gay?