Next Republic of Ireland Manager

Who would’ve been your ideal choice? I’d have loved to see a Ralph Hassenhuttl or Rafa Benitez but realistically both were beyond our means. A box office Roy Keane appointment would have been intriguing too. Although it’s 13 years now since he was sacked by (Ipswich) so his time has probably come and gone.

I have a vague notion that talk permeated out of Manchester City that they were impressed with Carsley as a coach a few years back. Similar to noise around Brian Barry Murphy in recent years. I was cautiously optimistic about Carsley’s appointment given his success with the England U21’s but the forums concerns around his credentials are worth noting. We’re usually a good 2 years ahead of Dan McDonnell and his cronies in OTB. He doesn’t exactly have that oomph factor. There was genuine excitement following the unveiling of Trap 2007-08 or MON 2013-14.

1 Like

And even Kenny there was a bit of hope of a new dawn. Maybe we just needed a league of Ireland type fella all along. Now we know that’s a waste of time. I suppose if a fella with carsleys credentials got the Welsh job or something we’d be saying it was a shrewd appointment so let’s get behind lee. I remember I lived with a Donegal lad in college in the late 90s who loved him. ‘get stuck in cyarsley sir!’

To be fair a European U21 winning coach isn’t an awful appointment. He also has a calm authority in interviews which is a huge upgrade on the mumblings of Stephen Kenny.

A far cry from 16 years ago when we were choosing between the most illustrious manager in Italian football history, a former FA Cup and La Liga winning manager who’d taken England to a Euro semi’s 12 years previous (Euro 2012 in a 2024 timeframe) and er yer man who took Bradford and Wigan up to the Prem.

I’m sure Lee Carsley was a major figure in one of our most memorable ever 1-1 victories, against the Czech Republic in October 2006. What a night that was.

Carsley seemed to get better as he went along. By the time he had kind of figured top level football, his legs were probably going.

Pep, Xabi Alonso, Lee Carsley; all played midfield in the top division.

There is an underrated manager. Unlucky to be sacked from Southampton.

You’d hope Carsley’s time watching Championship and underage football, as well as his own background, would be beneficial in unearthing some Plastic Paddies to join the cause. Certainly more useful in this regard than Roy Keane

1 Like

As did Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Roy Keane, Bryan Robson and Graeme Souness.

They were all pashun merchants mate

Michael Carrick will be seething when he sees your leniency here. Everybody knows he posts here since he started reverse stalking @flattythehurdler

Michael Carrick and Brian Fenton were/are both midfielders.

Re Pep and Carsley, there is no grass grows on busy street. World Cup semi in 26’ powered by Ferguson and young Sinclair. Ireland will be the new Belgium.

Gerrard and Robson were for sure. Souness and Keane were but both became steadily less dependent on raaaar and more dependent on smarts.

Lampard was an innately smart player but stupid people were fooled into thinking he was intellectually smart because he went to a private school and votes Tory,

2 Likes

We’ll be divided down the middle based on half the squad speaking French and the other half speaking Dutch?

Carsley has the hairline of a man who has given the game serious thought.

Definitely, we just need Zefi to train on as the tricky dribbler.

In fairness to Lampard he has an IQ of 150 and got all A’s in his GCSE’s. Book smart but not a tactical genius it seems.

I hope he can fit into my all time POWER RANKINGS of bald managers

1 Like

What kind of Leaving Cert did Stephen Kenny do I wonder? You need a lad who either got over 500, or under 320 due to drink and drugs, to win an Oscar.

1 Like

Spaletti won the league with NapoliI think, but like Pep, he is very tanned. Martinez is Ronaldo’s assistant at Portugal.

1 Like