Next Republic of Ireland Manager

I am the walrus

1 Like

Would many of them have won anything?

Had forgotten completely about this.

That penalty concession was a fucking sickener. There was a bit of optimism about the patched up old side and team Mick was building. We were still hard to beat and had a bit about us that you’d feel we could get a result beyont in Turkey. We’d only just snatched the goal through Keane and looked like getting out with the win and clean sheet.

Is that Anders Frisk on the whsitle?

Wilkinson won the league with Leeds and McMenemy won the FA Cup with Southampton but that was well before they managed England under-21s. Sexton was a decent club manager but I’m not sure he ever won anything. Maybe the FA Cup with Chelsea in 1970? I’ve a notion he was manager for that actually.

Sgt Wilko won a league title but was way way past it by 1999.

Spotters eye; obviously this was before @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy and his crew sent him death threats after some poor decisions in a Chelsea-Barcelona game, forcing Frisk to retire from the game.

No I meant with the u21s as carsley did…

The killer there was the Macedonian equaliser in injury time that sent us into the play offs.

I was never as disappointed after a football match.

2 Likes

I was at that match. Spent the 90 mins getting bricks thrown at us from a load of Skopje’s finest runts.

2 Likes

I’d forgotten Quinns opener in this one, really lends credibility to Barry Muphys “Frank Stapleton” pisstake of Quinn only scoring more goals for Ireland than him because of the length of his legs being like having an extra leg.

But But But Carsley wouldn’t touch the Ireland job​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The commentary on this version :smiley:

Ok I think you’ve made your point. Or what was your point originally?

1 Like

I referenced it on this very thread yesterday. Please pay closer attention to my incisive & informative posts.

1 Like

He doesn’t exactly have a stellar record - you could argue that Kenny’s was better.

Lennon hangs his hat on beating Barcelona & qualifying for the CL last 16. But his Celtic spell was littered with some terrible cup results & performances while whatever version of Rangers had their players looking for footballs in bushes at the side of pitches in division 3 or 4. Now he won a number of cups too but there was some awful games where Celtic didn’t show up & were turned over by the likes of Hearts, Kilmarnock & so on. No side is immune to a cup upset but it happened too often given the disparity in financial resources. International qualification campaigns are like a series of cup ties so I’m not bothered they’ve looked beyond him. I’d probably have him ahead of Carsley but would prefer an alternative to both.

1 Like

His playing career means he won’t automatically have the ex pros against him which will be a big help. I suppose the demands of managing the England u21s in the sense that it’s international football small window to work etc would be more similar than managing Portsmouth the play off contention or the likes. It’s an absolute shot in the dark but sure fuck it. If we couldn’t get the perfect candidate in Roy Keane he’s next best.

It wasn’t the killer though. We were still in the competition. We would probably have got through had Carsley not handled the ball. We were better than the Turks.

Anyway we qualified for the following World Cup and we might not have done that had we qualified for Euro 2000 because we could have had a hangover after that tournament, instead the team was laser focussed going into the big away games at the start of the World Cup campaign which set us up to qualify. So it worked out alright in the end.