Next Republic of Ireland Manager

10/1 lump on

1 Like

Reminds me of when Ewan plagiarised a post i made here. Jokes on him like everything i post i wasnt serious, just to wind up fellas, iirc it was covid related so he took it seriously

They won’t even have a CEO tomorrow.

John O’Shea could pull a George Costanza here and just show up and pretend he was offered the job

1 Like

When we play an international, the following day id often go to a news website of the country we played and try get their view on the game. In English of course.

After the Switzerland game I could find plenty of Swiss news papers in English but none had a sports section.

Do the Swiss not DO sports?

Roy is back in the picture.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0327/1440351-oshea-led-ireland-a-better-bet-than-poyet-mcdonnell/

Maybe John O’Shea will turn out to be a great manager but his track record as a coach behind the scenes isn’t great. He might care a lot but Poyet definitely has a more proven track record, and I wouldn’t have said a lack enthusiasm or passion was ever a failing of his.

I don’t think Poyet is an ideal candidate, he’s been sacked a fair few times, but he’s also had elements of improving teams under his tenure. Whereas O’Shea is a complete unknown really.

1 Like

FUCKING GIVE IT TO BIG SAM YOU SHOWER OF CUNTS

Something weird about the concerted anti-poyet campaign amongst journalists. Doesnt matter now that sagnol is in the bag, but the self importance and lobbying by the likes of mc donnel is a bad state of affairs.

1 Like

This was a great oul’ cliche used by the Kenny Kids/Newstalk Generation about Stephen Kenny.

“He cares, he really, really cares”.

That’s sort of the least you expect from a manager. Glenn Ryan cares about Kildare football. He’s also just lost seven NFL games in a row and his team is a fucking shambles.

McDonnell falls into the exact cliche of the Kenny’s Kids/Newstalk Generation I described earlier on this thread.

McDonnell doesn’t like Gus Poyet because McDonnell is a football Brexiteer obsessed with the idea that the manager of Ireland should be Irish and that’s really all he cares about. He sees Gus Poyet as too British and a rejection of Irish football, and that gnaws at his League Of Ireland inferiority complex. The last Ireland manager was a League Of Ireland man, and that was a disaster, and even if the next man can’t be a League Of Ireland man, WE - the Irish football nativists, have to make sure the next manager is Irish, even if history shows this state has never produced a good football manager at the top level.

But sometimes, to accept yourself, you have to reject yourself.

1 Like

The Irish football men and journalists seem to have decided that unless we’re going to get Jurgen Klopp we may as well settle for any aul Irish fella rather than a Johnny Foreigner who’s actually managed a team

3 Likes

Also who the fuck in Irish media decided Keith Treacy has what it takes to be a senior analyst.

He has the cut of a hungover fella working in A-Z Hire in Walkinstown who hasn’t had a shower in days and disappears out the back for a smoke when you inquire about hiring a steamer to strip wallpaper.

3 Likes

He went on one of those English lower league podcasts talking about how much of a mad bastard he was a few years ago and OTB couldn’t resist

Eamonn Sweeney tried comparing Willy Sagnol’s record with Georgia to Spock’s with Ireland in last Sundays Indo. Apparently Sagnol suffered a 7-1 reversal to Spain at some stage. I’d be more inclined to praise him for qualifying for a major tournament with a minnow though. There’s not a hope Spock would’ve taken Georgia to the Euros.

Georgia’s qualification is much more down to the Georgian FA than Sagnol. A well run organisation in a position to do things right.

We on the other hand were robbed blind by John Delaney the absolute fucking wanker of a snake cunt.

He’s the Sammie smodzics of managers. All these managers are good and shite. There’s about 4 good managers in the world everyone else is a complete punt. Roy Keane ticks by far the most boxes of any available candidate. If it wasn’t for Saipan hed be an absolute cert.

1 Like

What boxes?

Georgias qualification is down to the fact that they were in tier 3 of the nations league.

I don’t know how we have managed to not be down there.

In 2018 we finished bottom of our group but John Delaney managed to pull an Offaly hurling and persuade UEFA to change the format because how would relegation benefit football in Ireland?

In Kenny’s campaigns we managed to get “lucky” and have Bulgaria and Armenia in our groups, who were even worse than us.

When you only have a tiny amount of good players you don’t bring in the man who falls out with many many players.

Roy Keane?