Next Republic of Ireland Manager

While the idea of Sagnol is more attractive to me than Poyet (not based on a whole pile, I will admit), let’s not over-exaggerate his achievement either.

They were in the weakest of the Nations Leagues against teams you’d probably expect them to beat. Now, fair play, they still had to go and beat them and they did and ended up getting the win over Greece which we couldn’t do.

But they also had a genuinely top class creative player in Kvaratskhelia, something which we would kill for.

2 Likes

Who would be your preference for manager at this stage?

Very hard for me to say, because I don’t know who the realistic candidates are.

If it was a choice between the likes of O’Shea, Lennon, Bruce, Poyet, Keane, Carsley, Duff; I would probably have gone for Poyet (without any great enthusiasm ). I wouldn’t have been against Allardyce as someone who would get the most out of the players we have.

I like the idea of Sagnol tbh, it would show that they are doing a bit of work to try and get someone that just happened to be in the right place at the right time. But he presumably will be going to the Euros now and is hardly going to jump ship. The idea of Bilic was exciting too: someone with decent international experience, not a complete disaster at club level and would get the crowd onside.

It’s a double edge sword. Drop down to Nations League C and you have a better chance of winning a play-off to qualify for a Euros. But you also slip down the rankings and are more likely to be drawn in a qualifying group of death for a World Cup.

There is a part of me that wants Keane. I think we need a shot in the arm and he will give that and the only one that will, Of his two jobs I think he did ok at Sunderland. Ipswich - terrible. He is a headbanger but put a good coach with him he may give us that extra push needed.

You could argue international football would suit him as he would have less time with the players and tactics etc become less important.

He’d end up falling out with everyone though wouldn’t he?

He’d be an absolute disaster and be back on Sky giving sly digs at Irish players in 2 years

1 Like

Pretty much,

The Keane at Sunderland era was great when things were going well, he had the crowd totally on-side, they rode a wave of momentum.

But he was only really successful when he could spend bucketloads more money than any of the competitors (and wasted a lot of it) and they did have better quality players than a lot of the teams around them.

Tactically, I don’t think he’s very good and obviously you can’t do much to sign new players at international level. Plus he is a complete nutter.

Wouldn’t be against having him involved but not as the one making the decisions; thought his role alongside O’Neill was perfect tbh.

If you had some genius coach to go with him, fair enough, but they don’t grow on trees.

Also the last time he managed Evan Ferguson was probably in senior infants

The young fellas would all think Keano is top bantz though

Roy Keane would be an absolute disaster what are ye on at all.

2 Likes

Only part of me wants him.

I don’t know - the other candidates don’t inspire much excitement.

He could bring Micah in for the “vibes”

It would be fun though

There down loading football 2024 and retiring the Irish manager and seeing who the virtual fai appoint.

Can’t afford Roy Keane without Big Denis O’Brien stumping up the cash.

They have decent structures in place and definitely took advantage of the Nations League alright.

Fuck sake lads, Roy fucking Keane. How the fuck are we back here.

Give it to big Sam.

1 Like

Top level managerial experience in England where all our players play with some moderate success
Has worked in a good international set up with an experienced manager
Would have the ultimate respect of all the young players for his playing career
Great with the media
Ridiculously box office.
It would be his very last chance in any kind of decent job so he’d be giving it everything.
He’s Irish.

He’s also a full lunatic but definitely does seem to have mellowed and matured a small bit.
He’d be quite divisive but I think he’s mostly hated by Liverpool fans over 35.

Given who else is available he’s the best option

1 Like