Next Republic of Ireland Manager

Even then he got it at a time when expectations were low after Woy and Big Sam’s short reign and there wasn’t an abundance of credible alternatives and little appetite for a foreign coach after Capello.

Southgate or someone with his CV from before the England gig would not be in the running for the job if it came available now you would think.

1 Like

Southgate’s general presentable and squeaky clean image helped him get the job especially in the wake of Allardyce but he wouldn’t have got it without his formidable playing background and Premier League managerial experience.

1 Like

Gareth Southgate is more akin to a rugby manager.

England wouldn’t have a particularly long list of English candidates waiting in the wings if Southgate left. But there are still a good few ahead of Carsley. Graham Potter is the bookies’ favourite and would definitely take it. Eddie Howe probably wouldn’t as long as he’s still with the Saudis.

Carsley is third favourite but I think England would look for an outsider again rather than go for somebody with such a low profile who has no senior management experience. I don’t really see why Carsley would be ahead of Sean Dyche or even Gary O’Neil. Frank Lampard would probably even be ahead of him based on profile.

Going outside again is definitely a possibility. Mourinho or Ancelotti (though he has other suitors) or Conte could be persuadable.

But I think Southgate will probably go on to the 2026 World Cup as long as the Euros isn’t a disaster for England.

didnt he fail to get the huns out of the scottish first division?

I recall them losing the promotion-relegation play off to Motherwell & that Moshni (spelling?) chap having a meltdown.

1 Like

Dinosaurs , Warnock is a Brexiteer as well so can get fucked.

Scottish Fitba is massive tbf

Not winning the Euro’s would be a disaster for England. They’re easily the most talented international squad currently. They have the requisite level of experience now too

I’m told by people in the know that France do have a decent amount of talent available to them.

Im more in the know than anyone and Im telling you they have nowhere near the talent this current English crop have. Not winning the Euros would be a catastrophe for them

They’re in trouble still at goalie and centre back. It’ll do for them when push comes to shove

A highly enjoyable catastrophe so.

I don’t know what you’re all banging in about. Clearly Jim McGuinness is the man for the job.

I like the Kinnerk idea the newbie presented as well.

2 Likes

Edited:

Dean Smith’s missus is from the Newtown Road, Wexford town.

1 Like

What’s Gus Hiddink at these days. Didn’t he famously qualify ever team he managed

I’m tall and look well in a suit.

:thinking:

France are very good. And Southgate is not picking Sterling for some reason even though he’s clearly better than some of them

Would you think of handing your CV in to the FAI?