Not another Trump thread, zzzzz

Literally just watched it, as I was wondering where this Donald Drumpf thing had come from.

The longer it all goes on, the more thereā€™s a part of me that wants to see him elected. So long as I can continue watching from a safe distance.

Crazy to see how terrified all the Republican big hitters are of Trump. A lot of the analysis is suggesting that the Republican Party as is has been for 40 years or so is dead if he wins the nomination. Is that really true? Political journalists are prone to that sort of sensationalism and want to write every election up as a momentous historical event.

The anti-establishment position will play well for Trump in the general election. But he has surely said too much crazy shit to win. On top of that he has literally no familiarity with any area of policy with the exception of construction. The Know Nothing vote has always been there in the US but it wonā€™t be enough to get Trump elected youā€™d think.

1 Like

After a recent conversation with an American living in Dublin, I also now want Trump to win. I think he would be a great representation of their society. Obviously we would need impeachment to happen quickly before he does any real damage but it would be an entertaining few months.

2 Likes

Oliver is outstanding. Thats is class.

Iā€™d say Oliver is secretly hoping he gets in. Heā€™d get great material from it.

Thatā€™s a great bit of TV though. We could badly do with someone exposing our lot in a similar fashion

I saw Oliver doing a really shit one about Sepp Blatter and Iā€™d never heard of him before that. As a result, I havenā€™t bothered to watch his Trump one, especially as itā€™s a 22-minute video. It seems to be worth a whirl based on the feedback here although thereā€™s a series of gimps sharing it on social media sites. Iā€™m really torn on this one.

This sounds like a really difficult decision for you. Maybe sleep on it.

1 Like

Itā€™s mixed. Iā€™ve never found either Jon Stewart or Oilver particularly funny but they make some great points.

1 Like

II The Repubs havenā€™t been able to win an election since 2004 so Iā€™m not sure what could damage them further. Although the reported fear of the Republican establishment is that he will lose heavily to Hillary, their real fear is he could win. To win he will have to move to the center like no other Republican has in decades, but Trump can do it because thatā€™s his natural self. Trump is a liberal New Yorker who has taken on the persona of a racist nut to win the Republican nomination.

For clues listen to him on Planned Parenthood, paving the way for debates with Hillary. ā€œPlanned Parenthood have helped millions of women. I love women (duh!). The abortion thing is a real problem (the selling of mid to late stage fetal organs is a problem)ā€. Everything he says is carefully planned now to balance winning the nomination and taking on Hillary.

Something a lot are forgetting in all of this is turnout. Obama pulled in a massive turnout in 2008 and enough in 2012 to defeat a weak Romney. Hillary simply canā€™t pull a strong turnout, she is just not that popular. Trump could potentially get a huge turnout of angry dissolusioned voters. That could be easily enough to win many of the swing states. In the primaries the Republican turnout has been much higher than the Democrats, if that trend continues into the fall Trump can win.

1 Like

Mate, Trump will make as many people turnout to vote against him, as he will for him. Heā€™s pretty polarising. He will likely make lots of people vote for Hillary that werenā€™t planning on it.

He is polarizing now to win the nomination, that will change lickity spit. Hillary is pretty polarizing too, part of the establishment, woeful Secretary of State, the email debacle (senility the only defense?), huge ties to Wall Street and corporate capitalism. Huge donor money, everything that is wrong with the current system.

I am coming to the conclusion that Trump will destroy her in debates. A businessman versus a career politician. Anti war versus pro war (Iraq). Strength versus weakness (your husband was having his cock sucked in the Oval Office, and yes I think he will reference that). Made his billions building things that involved hiring people, not (millions) making speeches to corporate executives. He will destroy her.

2 Likes

:rollseyes:
Mate, he is not just polarising now, he has been polarizing public dickhead for nigh on 3 decades now. Most normal people hated fucking Trump even before he decided to run for President. Hillary will walk it come Nov. She will make shit of him in debates, as, love her or hate her, she will actually look Presidential. When Trump tones his shit down to try and look respectable in a presidential debate, then he has fuckall. And even if he does tone his shit down, people will still despise the cunt, like they have for 30 years, because you canā€™t erase decades of collective memory. You canā€™t win a presidential race by acting the clown.
You seriously think peopleā€™s opinion of him will change? Heā€™s liked by antagonist white conservative shitheads. Which is enough to get him 1/3 of the Republican primary vote, and he canā€™t seem to break that ceiling. What the fuck do you think he is going to do between now and Nov that will make over 50% on the general electorate vote for him?

If the Dems fuck this up, it will be the biggest bottle job in history.

2 Likes

Why would he tone anything down? Being the brash loudmouth is all he has got, but huge swathes of the US would probably prefer that as President than a glass of tap-water like Hilary.

You simply donā€™t have a clue of the prevailing mood of the US public. First of all Americans have a short memory, Obama had some pretty unsavory connections in his background, Bill Clinton had all the public affairs that would get you fired in the corporate world. Americans love winners and Trump is a winner, even better a winner who failed several times and got up and won again.

Trump has one huge advantage. The country is angry and Clinton is associated with the thing they are angry at, the political establishment and big business donations that buy political decisions. Trump can shoot holes through that all day every day until November.

1 Like

ā€œā€¦We know, for example, that Trump pulls a disproportionate share of his support from voters without a college degree, so he tends to do better in contests with less-educated electorates. Our targets take these kinds of demographic dynamics into account. Looking forward, Trump should win more delegates in states with fewer college-educated voters. If Trump hits his targets in the remaining contests, heā€™ll end up with 1,276 delegates out of 2,472 ā€” 52 percentā€¦ā€

What are the unsavoury connections for Obama?

The Tipp crowd.

12 Likes

Offaly?

1 Like

Youā€™ve changed your tune mate

1 Like