US Presidential Election 2016: Sidney's Victory Lap

Trump is still tearing into Ted Cruz even though Cruz is fucked and effectively out of the race. :grinning:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/701871659150548993

Trump should be hoping to keep Cruz in the race for as long as possible.

It looks like its going to be RubioBot v Trump now,Trump even let his"wife"say a few words at the weekend,funny enough his supporters hate immigrants unless of course theyre topless model immigrants

hon Trump, great to have another Irish president of America

Hes about as irish as cornbeef and cabbage

The race gets interesting now. Although Trump seems the favorite, the GOP establishment will do everything they can to ensure neither Trump nor Cruz get the nomination. Rubio has been reasonably well rehabilitated since the New Hsmpshire debacle. There is a growing opinion that Trump cannot surpass around 30% so in a two horse race he will lose. It’ll go down to Trump v Rubio after Super Tuesday and as Rubio is the only one with a prayer of winning the general election, he will get massive funding and get endorsed by all the exiting candidates (even Cruz due to the vitriol between himself and Trump). Hillary vs Rubio in November.

I could see Trump having another dummy spit and running for pres as an independent. The GOP will certainly give him enough excuses to leave their circus (whether intentionally or not). But making predictions in this freak show election is a dangerous business.

1 Like

They’ve been saying all that for a while though and it hasn’t come to pass, the longer Trump stays alive the more “credible” he becomes to voters. Rubio hasn’t really stepped up to the mark, but I do think it’ll be Trump v Rubio for the nomination and the Democrats will wipe the floor with either.
I was reading a piece this morning saying that Trumps votes are capped at these levels of 35-40% (you are either pro Trump or anti he doesn’t have many who would switch to him), so as other candidates fall away he’ll lose ground and the vote will consolidate somewhere else. However considering how far right some of the nuts that have yet to fall are I’m not so sure.
Also if three candidates stay in the race for another month or so then 35-40% is a lot of nominations. I think Trump will win the Republican nomination.

Is Bern fucked lads?

Hilary now looks like a sensible, perhaps appealing, bet at 10/11 to win the race to be president? I see her biggest challenge as beating Bernie, but a straight shoot out between her and Trump will only have one winner. She’s 1/5 to be the Democratic candidate, essentially to beat Bernie, but 10/11 to win the presidential race.

He never really had a chance. I think he even surprised himself how he made it a bit competitive early on. He’ll fall away for good in early March.

Bookies have Rubio at almost evens for Rep nomination. Trump just a hair the odds-on side of evens. It’s 20/1 the field after those two.
Bookies liking Rubio’s chances.

The only remaining far right candidate is Cruz. Carson, Kasich and Rubio are moderates by Republican standards. Trump is actually a complete enigma (but a smart one), as it is impossible to know where he actually is on the political spectrum. The majority of his supporters are far right, but he himself was a Democrat most of his life, and the controversial positions he has taken could be just to gain the Republican nomination (the turnout has been biased to the angry, which has benefited him). If Trump were to win the Republican nomination, I expect he will run to the center on many issues faster than Usain Bolt, as again he is a very smart guy and knows that’s the only way to get elected.

Trump (and Sanders) have benefited from the anger of the electorate, something that is likely to be still there in November. The general consensus among a significant, and potentially decisive, portion of the electorate across party lines is that the leading politicians of both parties are 1. complete morons and incapable of implementing anything that benefits the country (you could simplify that to implementing anything), and 2. owned by big business. Regardless of what people think about him personally, Trump has two big advantages; he is clearly not a moron, and he understands how business operates and how business leaders are motivated.

Big business is scared of Trump precisely because of this. They know he would tackle issues like taxation (reducing corporate taxes in the US, while closing tax loopholes and forcing corporations to repatriate profits from abroad). That’s the main reason Rubio will now get massive backing, to maintain the status quo (big business calling the shots, as always).

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiAUIM8cw2I&ebc=ANyPxKrQcMkYuFNQpKQJFQAJghHSzBnob3ozEAAm-1TMo-Oi7wGs6VvwOPK1Lk75XnhoKsPCk0c7xEnf6_9JbTrXG-SO-NrGnw

Big business backed Jeb! as well and that didn’t work out. How did someone not realise what a loser he was before all that money poured in?

A worthy gamble given the gravy train that the last Bush in office provided big bidness.

2 Likes

These guys don’t usually gamble. They pick Republican or Democratic and stick with them for their careers. The trick is that neither is really interested in stopping the excesses of Wall Street. They just make sure that they back the right horses in the individual party nomination promises so you don’t get anything crazy like Bernie or Trump to take down the gravy train.

Jeb! was an utter embarrassment, I’m sure he’s a nice guy but he just wasn’t cut out for a campaign like that.

:joy:

Trump wins big in Nevada with 46% currently. Rubio looks like he will take second.

“We weren’t expected to win too much and now we’re winning, winning, winning the country,” Trump said. “And soon the country is going to start winning, winning, winning.”

He basked in his success across demographics.

“We won the evangelicals,” he said. “We won with young. With won with old. We won with highly educated. We won with poorly educated. I love the poorly educated.”

:joy:

5 Likes

Hes box office gold but hes a fuckin retard,imagine sending bill maher your birthcert to prove your not the son of an orangutan and then suing cause maher wont pay up,this is what your dealing with here