Nothing Great about Britain

“Let’s take down Lineker by proving him right about us.”

I think you’re over egging it there a bit big man. I’d say the most likely outcome is the BBC just bring in a consistent policy that it’s presenters can’t be politically impartial on Twitter going forward. Very few of them are just as very few of the rte ones would be either. You wouldn’t really get Marty tweeting about the eviction ban.
In the short term I think all the people who believe that transgender is a load of nonsense and that Brexit was a great move will coincidentally find MOTD vastly improved with no analysis.

7 Likes

Good on em

1 Like

People who predicted a housing crash in 2006 were accused of “over egging it”.

Anybody who predicted the calamity the Tories coming to power in 2010 would result in would have been laughed at.

Anybody who predicted in 2012 that at the the next election the US would elect a fascist demagogue of a celebrity who was in the pocket of Putin would have been laughed at.

I was being laughed at 13 months ago for telling yis Putin would invade Ukraine.

Things have a habit of spiralling out of control. Unless the BBC relents and reinstates Lineker I expect this will at minimum mean the end of Match Of The Day, perhaps before the next rights deal is due to expire, which Alta Vista tells me is 2025. The BBC might voluntarily give the rights up at the end of this season because Match Of The Day becomes more trouble than it is worth to them. It’s possible, not probable but possible, it could even be a key signpost on the road to the end of the BBC as we know it.

I don’t see how a ban on BBC presenters tweeting their thoughts on anything that could be plausibly considered political is workable or desirable because it would serve to completely neuter the BBC and would create a climate of extreme fear at the organisation, which the Tories want.

I watch all off the goals on YouTube at 5.15 on.a Saturday. Havent watched match of the day in years.

Cheers mate, good to know

25 Likes

What a fucking crock. We’ve a gamut of politicians, world leaders and media figures championing cancelling, compulsory medical interventions, denial of the right to protest, denial of employment, denial of the right to travel, barring of entry to restaurants and cinemas, the freezing of bank accounts, censorship and so on…and you clapped along while shrieking fascist and right wing at anyone who refused to goose step along.

Its really not fooling anyone, apart from maybe @Bandage

1 Like

At least it didn’t fool Matt Le Tissier.

You gotta respect that sort of regimentalism

1 Like
4 Likes

Big move. You can’t show football without commentary.

Lovely. The far right loons weren’t expecting this

8 Likes

What lads on TFK are siding with the bbc here?

1 Like

The usual suspects

4 Likes

Lineker must be a thoroughly alright sort to engender this sort of loyalty and solidarity from his work colleagues.

14 Likes

He must be supplying them with a hape of powder @ttown_boy

That and his comments were entirely correct & fair to any right minded person.

4 Likes

Don’t know that much about Steve Wilson but he has always come across as a good guy any time he has entered my consciousness. He was present as a spectator on the Leppings Lane end at Hillsborough in 1989 and did a segment for Football Focus for the 20th anniversary programme if I remember rightly,and has always been categorical that Liverpool supporters were totally innocent and the victim of a massive institutional campaign of vilification and that there was a massive institutional cover up on behalf of police and authorities. So it’s not surprising that he’s to the forefront here.