Off the Ball on Newstalk

Ferguson was well within his rights to get rid of him and indeed, more than that, it was the sensible football decision. Keane had become a disruptive and malign influence. He was well past his best as a player and wasn’t the sort that would help younger players along, he saw them as a threat to him.

Ferguson was proved entirely right.

1 Like

Absolutely, by the end of his career he had been shown up to be a cardboard hardman, being openly mocked by Jason McAteer when doing one of his trademark “let me at him” behind a group of players. Shearer laughing his hole at him when he lost the plot. The facade was evident and the aura was gone.

He then went off to Scotland for a half a season where a shoe cobbler made bits of him in a domestic cup tie.

3 Likes

Hughes, Sheringham, Solskjaer

He fairly bombed van Nistelrooy out though. And Stam.

If you’re not prepared to be ruthless, you fail.

Keane was the ultimate preacher of ruthlessness, except when it came to himself.

I was out the back painting a wall on the Friday night and threw on off the ball. The first ten minutes or so was a presenter interviewing another presenter about how he might interview Roy Keane. It was horrendous stuff. Crazed egos all round.
But the wall looks good with its second coat of pale olive.

7 Likes

Why do the audience laugh at everything Keane says?

Late Keane would sort of remind you of Boris Johnson.

I refer again to a post I made some months ago comparing the traditional English love for a former all action midfield general being a manager (who fails) to the Tory party’s long running and daft obsession with wanting a reincarnation of Churchill as leader.

1 Like

They can’t get Rosenstock out of their mind ?

Metaphorically. You absolute pig of a human being

How many premier leagues has Roy keane? How many has mcateer and shearer?

1 Like

As Keane might say himself “count their medals, it shouldn’t take long.”

I still remember he put Zidane and juventus in his back pocket. That shoe cobbler must have been fair good to do that to him.

2 Likes

He couldn’t lace Keano’s boots

1 Like

Cos he has excellent comic timing?

We’ll never have a player like Keane again. Utd aren’t the same without him. Teams were afraid of him.

I played against Keano when he was at Ranblers, I was 15 playing youths football, he scored a bullet header from a corner where I was picking him up.
Easily the best Irish player of my lifetime, one of the worlds best at his peak, but an awful oddball, I genuinely think he has lots of the traits you’d see in high achieving autistic people

Definetely has he’s issues.

The Off the Ball lads are circling the wagons.

“Johnny” Ward has bit and responded to Neville on twitter.

:laughing:

A shoe cobbler as opposed to a peach cobbler?

He was nowhere near being the best in the world. He isn’t rated outside Ireland

2 Likes