Off the Ball on Newstalk

I think so. However Gavin not celebrating wins publically is all a bit Rudyard Kipling.

Joe was shitting himself the whole way thru that kimmage rant. When mentioned blue eyed boys Alan Brogan and mark o se I thought joe was gonna cut to ads.

The fact he’s a complete miserable bastard, which is completely hypocritical. Also why would you even bother bringing Cluxton to a post match press conference. Reckons Gavin was completely disrespectful to Rotherford and Mayo in the press conference. That was the general jist of it

Ha when Joe mentioned the fact he was out coaching under 9s the next day as a very important point. Thought Kimmage was going to open him.

What relevance had that roared Kimmage… poor auld joe afraid of his life he’ll never get another Dublin player to talk ever again to him

Twas great radio. I was tempted to text in support of Gavin just to rile Kimmage further. Jesus he was seething

8 Likes

Kimmage was trotting out the same spiel in the Indo today. He really is a miserable bastard.

2 Likes

kimmage is a rat

3 Likes

Kimmage is a self important prick but he has a point here. Gavin is a joyless cunt who speaks like a corporate drone saying fuck all about fuck all. The fucker is from Clondalkin. No one in Clondalkin speaks like that.

He has the players afraid of their lives to express an opinion or offer an original thought in interviews. Most of the players with an odd exception are bright and articulate and would be well able to express an honest opinion without any fuss

13 Likes

He’s winning All Irelands to veat the band. Doubt he gives a fuck what people think of him.

Judging at the paranoia in his media dealings he seems to care a lot what people think of him and his team

Kimmage is 100% correct this time. Gavin is so joyless he makes Cody look like the class clown.

2 Likes

It’s no surprise a cerebral gentleman like Jim doesn’t resonate with the Muldoons. Most of the lads on here would much rather some fat roaster, with his gut hanging over his belt and a red face, roaring abuse at his players on the sideline.

Gentleman Jim was already plotting 4 in a row and tending to some work matters when most of his Culchie counterparts would have been getting locked out of their faces and pissing in their trousers.

1 Like

He understandably got annoyed about Connolly being fingered by Pat Spillane (ooh matron) on TSG. Other than that I don’t remember too much out of the ordinary in his dealings with media. No onus on him to be cooperative with them anyway.

Nice aside also… where Kieran Shannon, Joe and Kimmage discussed the Connolly and Gavin relationship. Reckons Connolly doesn’t toe the line (dressed differently in pre match warm up) , Jim wanted to win the AI without him but ultimately he needed him when the O’Gara move failed.

1 Like

They’re right abut that one.He was mad to prove he could win without Connolly but his brain fart starting O Gara fucked him over.

Kimmage mixed some good points with some absolute guff in that rant.

Gavin has rightly become a figure of fun because of his taciturn demeanour, parody-like interviews and outward lack of joy at winning. Criticism of how he has turned the Dublin team into faceless drones in terms of media relations is entirely merited, as is pointing out the hypocrisy of his high moral ground stance of a few years ago about “winning the right way” when Dublin engaged in extreme cynicism towards the end of the 2013 and 2017 finals, and serious foul play in 2017.

But Kimmage read too much into the press conference and claiming that Gavin was disrespecting Mayo and Stephen Rochford is wishful thinking for controversy’s sake.

I really liked Kieran Cunningham’s anecdote about the only time he met Jim Gavin outside of work, in the Boar’s Head the night before the 2014 All-Ireland final.

Cunningham was talking to 1992 Donegal player Noel Hegarty and they saw Gavin was there on his own so started talking to him and had a few pints together. Later “a very well known former Kerry player who would have been familiar with Hegarty from marking him” came over to talk with them, but apparently didn’t notice that Gavin was present.

The former Kerry player said to them how Kerry wouldn’t be as naive in dealing with Donegal as Dublin had been, that Dublin “were idiots and fucking brain dead, like an under-12 team”. The he notices Jim Gavin beside him and immediately apologises, that he didn’t see Gavin beside him and “didn’t mean it at all”.

I can think of two “very well known former Kerry players who would have known Noel Hegarty from marking him”, and I’ve imagined the anecdote with both fulfilling the role, and found it very funny either way.

4 Likes

I don’t think some basic manners while dealing with the media is too much too ask. Displaying some grace and empathy in victory would be nice too.

NT have issued a fatwah against IT journos. I presume this means no more Gerry Thornley on Wednesday Night Rugby.