Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

As per my post in the Wexford thread - Football at 5 and Hurling at 7.

Commiserations in advance.

Thanks Mac. Really appreciate it.

Iā€™ve watched the first 45 minutes of the Cork / Tipp game (fucking Setanta, cuts out after that, have to record it again, useless cunts) - Cork were a lot better than I thought theyā€™d be. Thereā€™s obviously big holes in what they do and as (I think) Thrawneen said above, they left a lot of scores on the field. One thing that did strike me was there was fuck all ball going into the FF line and Cummins, in the first minutes of the second half in particular, was easily taking balls off the cross bar that fell short of a point from about 45 metres. No one in there to aim at or make life hard for the keeper as he takes these short balls with loads of time and room.

Is Aisake the big elephant in the Cork hurling room, whats the story there? Did he leave in sympathy over Sean Og? They could surely do with him this year and he would surely have learned a bit more from last year.

Cork could cause a few upsets this year. Granted I havenā€™t seen the last 20 minutes of the game, thanks to fuckig Setantaā€™s schuling department.

By the way - I donā€™t think anyone mentioned the Glory Of It in the lead up to this game. Disgraceful, tradition must be observed.

Fitzy you are the one living in Oz amongst the Irish-Aussie community, thought youā€™d know all about Setanta and Aisake? Or are you spending too much time on the highway getting lost? :lol:

Aisake went back to Melbourne and went playing for a local Semi-Pro side. Himself and Setanta took the lease of an Irish bar, but had it taken back off them within a few months due to the way it was being run. Not sure of complete story.

Thats Melbourne Kev, its a world apart. I think its disgraceful they way you lot have let those boys go and have a not at all successful career in AFL. You seriously need to have them back playing for Cork. Get it sorted Kev, will you?

let them go?

wtf is this mong on about now- these boys wernt contracted to cork gga- its was their hobby. i know a lad who is a keen member of malahide amateur he got a job on wall st but the amateur dramatic society put the foot down & he is still here. he hasnt got a job at the moment but on the plus side he has the lead in their upcoming production of Oklahoma

Why would they or ā€œweā€ want to change anything? Think about it.

Aisake - Not good enough for Cork hurliong, not good enough for AFL. But heā€™s got a nice life living in (iā€™m told) a pretty cool city playing semi pro sport and probably riding all round him. Believe he is going to college in Melbourne now or soon as well. In Cork heā€™d be back working in Champions Sports and going to College playing club hurling. No contest really is it?

Setanta - Cork would take him back, but he is having a successful AFL career now, starting on a top 5 team, why would he change?

People expect too much of our own stars. Even playing on a team at the top level in AFL is a serious achievement considering they all start at 19-20. Stynes was a freak, and Kennelly did very well. Other than that nobody has really made a big impression. But for the lads themselves they can have a great life. There are about 1280 proā€™s in AFL vying for places in squads. To be even playing is enough.

Fair ebough, but I just think they, especially Setanta, could have achieved so much more playing inter county and built a career / life around it.

Maybe, but Sean Og did that and advised them to go to Oz, which says it all really. They did what was best for themselves, and fair play to them for it. Too many Irish people do what others think is good for them.

Again, fair enough. But getting back to my original point, what are ye going to do about your FF line?

From what i saw our FF line is shaping up decently enough. I think people just need to show more faith in them, especially Hoggy and Luke.

As iā€™ve been saying for an age, Cork are not that far off it at all, although we certainly donā€™t have the goal scoring ability of Tipp. But i donā€™t think anyone has right now, bar possibly Galway against someone other than Tipp.

I canā€™t wait for Limerick / Waterford.
There hasnā€™t been a peep out of either camp yet.

Any reports on any friendlies?

I would prefer if those pussies who just minused my post actually debated the statement with me. Or am i hitting a nerve with said statement?

[quote=ā€œThe Runt, post: 591662ā€]
I canā€™t wait for Limerick / Waterford.
There hasnā€™t been a peep out of either camp yet.[/quote]

I heard both sides are flying in training. There wonā€™t be anything in the media because the managers are too cute. Media bans have been imposed. You see, some bogger talking to Damien Lawlor or Dermot Crowe on a Tuesday over a carvery lunch and the interview appearing in print on the day of the game could be the difference in the winning or losing of it.

Limerick are waiting in the long grass for Waterford. Our hunger could be the difference.

Donā€™t think thats the reason for media bans the week of the game Bandage.

More cliche ridden claptrap from Mcyntire below, heā€™s becoming more full of his own sh!ite than Louhnane, best thing he could do for his team is keep his gob shut for the rest of the year. Galway need to unearth a serious ruthless streak in this game and destroy Westmeath

ā€œIt is a no-win situation for us. If we win by 20 or 25 points, then people will say that is what they expected, but if we only get through by a few points, then it will be different,ā€ the Galway manager said in the Irish Daily Star.

ā€œThe most important thing for us is to approach the match in a professional manner, keep our heads down and get the job done.ā€

McIntyre is wary of the fact that Westmeath are now managed by former Athenry hurler Brian Hanley, who is well familiar with the Galway players.

ā€œBrian Hanley is a great hurling man and he will have Westmeath in good shape for this and with the game in Mullingar we will take nothing for granted.ā€

Thought it was. What do you think?

1. So they donā€™t lose focus.
  2. So as not to say anything that will motivate the opposition.

ā€œA great hurling manā€ is a quality GAA clichĆ©.

Galway team v Westmeath

James Skehill
(Cappataggle)

Damien Joyce (Capt) David Collins, Fergal Moore

Johnny Coen, John Lee, Adrian Cullinane

David Burke, Kevin Hynes

Barry Daly, Cyril Donnellan, Andy Smith

Damien Hayes, Joe Gantley, Aonghus Callinan

That team would do well to beat Dublin. Colm Callanan had a very poor league so no suprise to see Skehill drafted back in. Fergal Moore and Damien Hayes back but Kavanagh,Regan,Canning,Tannion,Farragher all still out. Johnny Coen looks wasted at wing back. HF line looks very weak but hopefully Daly can shake it up a bit here. Burke and Hynes have the potential to be a serious midfield. Galway will win this handy but Dublin on the 18th is gearing up to be a massive crunch game this year.

Whatā€™s wrong with Joe Canning? He was back for some of the league wasnā€™t he?