Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Vibrator

James McGrath (Westmeath) is a banterist.

“When was the last 80 minute All Ireland final? Today! Because Gavin took a dive and lay down for 10 minutes. Cue 10 refs roaring and knocking back shots.”

Live spot of Gavin skulling bottles in Flannerys.

Great day, outstanding from all of the Kilkenny players. For me Jackie, JJ, Tommy, Murphy were superb. Mick Fennelly very good in midfield, then Eddie, the King and Larkin shone but not to look over the rest of the players on the day.

Tipp, just don’t know what to say. John O’Brien being taken off, why? Padraig Maher not being switched over on Henry. Kelly and Lar not brought more into the game but I’m not complaining.

Just another great day from a team that owe us nothing. Sunday game on now after a long day up and down to the big smoke.

Congrats to Kilkenny. I really enjoyed watching that. The second goal was absolutely phenomenal.

In a good way I might add!

Fair play to you, delighted for Kilkenny and their supporters, as Cluaindiuic says, the gretest team ever. To come back from last year and display that level of hunger is remarkable. Can’t wait to watch the rest of it tonight.

Cody - fookin hell, some man.

bump

Mac on about KK.

oh dear KIB Man

indeed. Mac’s guarantees are like those of the failed businessmen who he admires

:cool:

Just to give it some context…
I had used the “to be the man” a few times in here in a hurling context.
There is an article I put in the wrestling thread about Ric Flair a couple of weeks ago that is just incredible. I’ll bump it. Read it, trust me you won’t regret it.
After first reading that I did a bit of YouTube hopping of old Flair interviews. When I saw that one I genuinely laughed out loud and had to use it as a continuation this year.

Re-read WTB’s post I was responding to. KK didn’t win the game on Saturday as I correctly pointed out.

Better luck next time.

Any views on how Tipp have strayed so far from the game that worked so well for them last year and in 2009? It goes without saying that Kilkenny’s pressure was going to push Tipp towards a certain type of delivery but that doesn’t explain what we saw yesterday. Regardless of the time they had on the ball, Tipp were only interested in one type of attacking ball yesterday, long and high deliveries on top of the best back six in the air that the game was to offer. It was amazing to watch. Is this what they have been reduced to? No variation whatsoever. Little or no support movement compared with the last two years. I honestly never expected Tipp to play with such commitment to Kilkenny’s strengths.

I made a point last spring that the Tipp 21’s side that Dunne trained last year were very reliant on the likes of Buggy and O’Meara tp win that type of ball you have referenced above. Granted both of them did it with aplumb but the same platform wouldn’t be afforded them players and gameplan at senior level. Given that they spent the majority fo the Dublin game doing the same thing it was no real surprise but disappointing all the same. Given that the likes of John O’Neill, Shane and Pa Bourke are probably going to be the lads pushing hard for inclusion in the forwards next year none of them are lads who will really thrive on that sort of game unless Tipp are dominating from 5-9 and they are able to isolate the inside line like they didin munster this year

Tipp could badly do with the likes of O’Meara, Hennessey and Murphy to make an impact next year but would have question marks about all three making an impact truth be told

Gman referenced the point Colin Fennelly got when he won the ball back himself under the Cusack Stand in the second half. A similar example of their workrate and intensity that I loved was an early Richie Power point - think it made it 0-4 to nil - when Michael Fennelly sickened Shane McGrath with a shoulder and he coughed up the ball before it was worked to Power to slap over.

Can someone remind me of the sequence of the second goal? Tommy Walsh won it near the endline to start the move but I can’t remember who he knocked it out to. Then it was Fennelly to Brennan to Hogan, I think. So much about it that was so fucking good. Walsh not panicking and picking out the pass. Fennelly controlling it and taking it in at full pace and the skill and vision to pick out Brennan. He did fantastically too and gave a great flat pass with a bit of pace - anything kind of slow or loopy would have given the defender time to get back goalside - and then the instant touch and strike by Hogan.

I can’t remember a better goal than that. “Wow, that is fucking phenomenal”, I uttered excitedly at the time. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Do they still refer to Richie Hogan as Richie No Medals in Tipp???

I think it’s safe to say Tip are finished. Kilkenny are the future now, and Limerick.

a lot of tipp fans over on Premierview maintaining that Tommy should have been sent off for hitting Gavin on the nose

It could certainly be catagorised as Dangerous Play but sure Gavin couldn’t have known who did it, it was a sneaky wild swing from behind 3 or 4 players.

Brian Gavin is such an absolute legend of a referee and person that he’s making me revisit my entire outloook with regard to the county of Offaly and its inhabitants.

Somebody bump the alright sort thread so I can stick his name in there too. :clap: