Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Tremendous performance yesterday from Kilkenny. They should have won by more really. Declan Ryan was asked why Tipp hadn’t performed to the standard of the last two years and he said ‘maybe we weren’t let’.

That was it essentially. At the risk of sounding overly simplistic, Kilkenny’s 15 players are better than Tipperary’s 15 players. Combine this with all the pressure being off them this year, as well as a sense of revenge driving them, they were just too good for Tipperary. As someone said last week ‘a team that won 4 All Irelands in a row doesn’t suddenly become poor, and a team with 1 All Ireland doesn’t suddenly become world beaters’.

You owe the Dooley boys a lot of apologies. Joe and Shane are utter gentlemen.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 593772”]
You owe the Dooley boys a lot of apologies. Joe and Shane are utter gentlemen.[/quote]

Baby steps MBB.

Proof positive of the cuntishness of Eoin Kelly, and also a let off for Jackie Tyrell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHW6OzvWC6g&feature=player_embedded

I think the defeat, beyond the obvious disappointment of losing the game, is a significant blow to the prestige of Tipperary hurling. Yesterday was probably the best chance in 40 years to put Tipp right up there with Kilkenny and Cork again and they missed it. They still have the chance next year and 2 in 3 years would still mark them apart as a great team, but the idea of the ‘big two’ still holds water after yesterday.

KIB of all people made the point that Tipp weren’t prepared for the same type of physical confrontation that they had been the last two years. I’d agree with him with regard to certain players. Shane McGrath, Seamus Callanan and Noel McGrath in particular. It’s amazing to comapre the dfference in Shane McGrath’s performance between the first half in particular of last year’s final of last year’s final when he was brilliant and the 35 minutes he spent on the pitch yesterday when he was completely wiped out. Gearoid Ryan while better than Shane McGrath was also well beaten.

Noel McGrath despite scoring two good points and a sideline cut sank without trace in general play. John O’Keeffe couldn’t handle Shefflin. Kelly and Corbett at least had some excuse for not being able to get into the game. I thought Corbett should have been moved out to centre forward like in 2009 to get him into the game, even if only for a while. The one good ball that was played into him in a central position produced a goal.

The substitution of John O’Brien was very strange. He was the only Tipp forward to consistently win his own ball all day (Bonner Maher also played well but wasn’t winning clean ball).

It was in the first half that I’d have more of a problem with the ball Tipp played in because the space was actually there, Kilkenny didn’t crowd the defence the way they did in the second half and they pressed them higher up the pitch in the midfield and half forward line. But there were still chances to get better ball in which they didn’t take. An element of panic definitely set in in the second half as Tipp felt they needed goals but with Kilkenny falling back it was always going to be difficult to get them. It still could have happened for all that. Noel Hickey had to put in a crucial hook on Pa Bourke in the last minute of normal time to stop a likely goal.

In hindsight Tipp should probably have just kept trying to pick off points after the goal. Kilkenny went through a bit of a fallow period for a few minutes either side of the 60 minute mark where they were playing poor ball into the forwards themselves and made some poor decisions

There were other things Tipp did, or failed to do, which weren’t there last year, lapses in concentration, most notably for Fennelly’s goal. Paddy Stapleton limped away from a challenge with Richie Hogan on the sideline and in trying to run it off completely forgot to mark Hogan. Hogan took a simple one-two from Shefflin off the sideline ball and had an acre to play it into Fennelly. Shane McGrath was miles away and didn’t track Fennelly’s run at all.

So while it was a faultless performance from Kilkenny, Tipp were definitely not at the pitch of intensity they were at last year.

:clap:

Great Post WTB.

“It was Tommy… It was Tommy”

I always suspected Kelly was a cunt of man. He confirmed it yesterday.

Prick.

+1

Shefflin made a huge difference yesterday. While his shooting from play was surprisingly erratic, his distribution and vision were phenomenal. Also he was an outlet all the way through the first half yesterday and pretty well won every ball that came his way.

One man having that significant an advantage over his direct opponent can have a huge influence on a game if,like KK, a team is prepared to exploit it. There is a very ruthless streak in Kilkenny.

Also someone here mentioned that the loss of Declan Fanning would be significant. It was. So was Tipp not lining out their best players. Brendan Maher should have started.

Tipp would be my favourites for next year’s title. Chances are it’ll be the same two involved again next year and if it is I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see the tables turned once again.

Hopefully it will be at least one different team involved in the final next year and hopefully that other team go on to win it (unless it’s Cork and to a lesser extent Clare).

I wonder. Are Declan Ryan and Tommy Dunne in the same league as Sheedy and O’Shea as a management team?[quote=“sid waddell, post: 593781”]

Tipp would be my favourites for next year’s title. Chances are it’ll be the same two involved again next year and if it is I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see the tables turned once again.
[/quote]

In the first half Shefflin was absolutely key for Kilkenny with the amount of ball he got on. Padraic Maher quietened him considerably after half time. In fact after Shefflin’s early second half point I didn’t think he was a factor in the game at all. Maher had a very decent match.

I would say no, Tipp should have learnt from the Dublin game that you can’t just keep driving in long high balls and expect bags of goals. But they didn’t learn, instead they persisted with it again yesterday. They got a bit of joy when they carried the ball forward but this seemed to only happen the rare occassion with the HB line still favouring booming balls in on top of Hickey, JJ and Tommy Walsh. Tipp won a handful of high balls at the most.

Remains to be seen alright and at this stage you’d certainly have to say no. Difficult position to come into though. With the euphoria in Tipp after last year it was a very difficult task to keep them going at the same level of intensity. Clearly they didn’t manage it this year.I wonder could English have managed it if he had been in charge? Massive year for Ryan and Dunne next year. They’ll probably need to win the All-Ireland to stay in a job.

+1. Barry Kelly a sound man too, had a few with him in Hideout last night. My fellow Tipp man, minor referee Johnny Ryan a bit of a stones though…

Walsh - Rice - Colin Fennelly - Brennan - Hogan.

It was as flawless a piece of hurling as you’ll ever see and it deserves to go into history as the best ever.

What’s the Hideout like for a pint? Keep meaning to go there but still never have. Might do after the football final.

[quote=“sid waddell, post: 593788”]
Walsh - Rice - Colin Fennelly - Brennan - Hogan.

It was as flawless a piece of hurling as you’ll ever see and it deserves to go into history as the best ever.[/quote]

Indeed. It was complete and utter class.

It came as a relief to me to see that they can actually play hurling rather than purely relying on neck high gang tackling.

Well done Kilkenny. :clap: