Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Despite Tom Condon being directly at fault for Mullane getting 1-1 and scoring the own goal which lost the match for Limerick, he had a terrific match. Thought there were more standout performances on the Limerick team eg Wayne Mac, O’Mahony in the second half, O’Grady and Downes. Young O’Mahony showed great nerve for Waterford after fluffing that early penalty, looks real top class.

It just never ends

better not back them so.

Good idea

whats your fucking problem.

No need for the abusive language mate, I was agreeing with you.

Poor effort from the Deise today. Allowing Limerick to go 1v1 inside the 45 was stupid. The the brought hutchinson out and he was at sea, and directly respondible for 1-3, after they sorted that things were ok.

Really should have had them buried by half-time, missing a penalty, and Mullane a sittet on the stroke of half time.

Limerick must be sick though. Moran is some man yo drive wides.

sorry mate, i was a little irked earlier when i realised clare got down in the football qulifier draw. but then i realised it’s on in ennis and now i’m confident we will win comfortably.

Galway V Dublin up next… neither of them would fancy drawing Limerick in the qualifiers.

McIntyre is in last chance saloon with this outfit. To me he seems void of fresh ideas to compensate for our inability to win primary possession. Still we’ll give him the rest of 2011 to prove otherwise.

Dublins full back line could be their weakness, I have a feeling we can get goals here.

Galway should dispose of the Dubs by 3 or 4. Dubs are a bit off a real championship outfit yet. Daly knows that, as he was in Ardán O’Riain scouting his likely backdoor opponents.

No problem bud, Tipp got a handy one anyway

Jaysus I dunno Mullane got 2-2 and was left completely on his lonesome for the winner. That would indicate that the corner back wasn’t doing his primary job. Maybe he wasn’t meant to be marking Mullane at that time but Mullane won enough ball off him to do serious damage.

Cyril must do fuck all except go to hurling matches.

Downes looks like a real prospect.

Is it worth adjusting my day to watch the repeat of this game? From a neutral please.

Probably. The second half was very good tbf.

Nah mate it’s only Munster

In fairness Laz, if Turenne says it was good it was most likely a classic. :smiley:

He was first to a load of ball, unfortunately that proved to be his downfall.

Is there a more frustrating hurler in the country than Niall Moran.
He was directly at fault for 2 points in the first half because he wouldn’t put his hand to the ball, opting to bat it down to a Waterford man instead, then mixing brilliant points with easy misses. Downses was absolutely bollixed for a finish, had a serious game, but should have caught the last low ball instead of trying to flick it on.
Had we any case for a penalty any of those times we got in the box near the end?

In sober reflection it wasnt a bad day for Waterford, we are in a Munster final, we gave 5 lads their first championship start, and exposed a few problems.

We should have had the game buried at half tie really, after missing a penalty and Mullane missing a sitter for a goal as well. Thought Hennessy should have stopped the first goal as well. But in the first half we hurled ok. Paudie Mahony had a great start, solid on frees and winning an ocean of ball from Wayne Mac. But in the same line Shane Sullivan was poor, and Maurice Shan was very poor, not strong enough under the dropping balls, and ponderous in possession. Brian Sullivans movement in the corner was super, and he gave Reale a torrid time. Mullane was up and down, but scared the shite of Limerick when he had possesion. The backs as a unit were very good, while at midfield Molumphy was good, and David Sullivan was average. Richie Foley was a loss.

Limerick tore into Waterford early in the second half, and won practically all primary possesion around the middle third. DOG and Browne won some savage ball. Once they isolated Downes on his own inside the 45 it was alway going to be dangerous, and Hutchinsons lack of pace was an issue once Downes won the ball. Then, they moved Fives back, and same result, but in fairness to Fives he slipped, and Connors probably sould have drove downes into the terrace when he came accross to cover. When Padraig Fanning cam accross to move Fives to Full, Hutchy out to wing back he left hutchinson at sea, and himslef and browne didnt know when they were marking with Limerick dropping back so deep. In this short spell limerick notched 1-3 before Waterford made the switches. Such naevity on the line will cost them.

But, all credit to waterford in the final quarter to come back. Connors, Moran and Brick really drove them on at the back, and Molumphy again came into it. The result will bring them on a lot, and with 4 weeks to prep for a munster final, things are good.

Full back is not the disaster area it seems, not every team will line up with only one forward inside the 45, and not every pitch will be as slippy. 3 of yesterday goals came from backs slipping. Richie Foley coming into midfield will be an improvement. Nagle and Kearney will push for a sport in the back six, as will Eoin Kelly up front. Of the young lads coming in, Fives is a serious hurler, and destined to be a star of the game, and Mahony and O’Sullivan were great. Its a serious panel now.

Who plays who in the qualifiers and where do we (limerick) come into it?

:rolleyes:

We play one of the Leinster Semi - Final Losers
And Clare play the other

Winners of Cork v Laois play Offaly
Winners of Antrim v Westmeath play Carlow

So say Cork and Antrim will go on to play the winners of the two losing semi-finalists.
Winners of that in the QF v Provincial Losers