Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Yes you did

Fair enough Turenne, I’m not doubting you or anything, it just sounds strange to describe Cork as cruising against a team who shot 16 wides.

Check again, i said everyone bar Dublin.

I’ll take your word for it because I couldn’t be arsed looking, but you’re now claiming that Cork throw up more support than any other county bar Dublin? I think not my firend.

[quote=“Fitzy, post: 591992”]
Fair enough Turenne, I’m not doubting you or anything, it just sounds strange to describe Cork as cruising against a team who shot 16 wides.
[/quote]…hit the crossbar and had a number of other goal chances…

Lads when are ye going to realise it doesn’t matter if Turenne was there, in the pub or at home hitting a ball off the wall while the match was on. He has his mind made up before any match.

Still haven’t seen it, and probably won’t, but my old fella who’s seen alot more hurling than Turenne, was there and says Cork were extremely lucky there wasn’t more time played which they think there should have been and that Cusack was in form. He also said some of the players completely ignore DW and there is no chemistry between them, but that this is as much the players fault as anything and he feels they deliberately ignore him. Cork are unlikely to beat whoever they get next round in his opinion.

So Blaa, for the reasons outlined above, i’d say ye are ahead of us, as at least your players play for the manager.

Word on the KK street:

Dalton in for Hickey at full back. Tommy in for Colin Fennelly in the forwards

:ph34r:

I can’t even imagine the intensity Kilkenny plan on starting this game at. They will go out to blow Dublin out of the water. In recent times I can’t recall a game Kilkenny will be more up for than this, perhaps the Cork 3 in a row failure bid. I mean they have a tendancy to go out for early starts, but given the goings on of the League Final and Kilkenny’s desire not to let Dublin get on top of them again, means this one should be a whole new level. The first ten minutes should be savage. It’ll be good to see some buzz about a Leinster Final again.

I agree. There used to be some buzz back in the early 90’s on Leinster final day. The battles that KK and Wexford had back then were unreal. I’d say 35-40k will go on Sunday. Dubs v KK in the minor too.

As for the intensity from KK, well they have to match the Dubs because they’ll be brining it on the day anyway. As you said, KK have to make a statement in Leinster, Dublin are a coming force and that’s great for hurling but we have to win on Sunday to get away from the quarters, they can be tricky…

I like the way Dublin go about their business on the field, nothing flash, no bullshit, just a solid hard work method. They don’t panic and their heads never drop which is the main difference I see in them this year. Kilkenny will have to bring a sophisticated gameplan along with any increased intensity. Dublin will not be ‘blown out of the water’ I can assure you.

Laz, I presume you mean ‘don’t panic’ solely in relation to this year so far because it’s taken them awfully long to learn how to close out matches from winning positions. Signs are clearly better this season though.

I dunno what the approach to Sunday will be. Trying to horse Dublin out of it would be a mistake. They are as physically fit as any team I’ve seen and they would relish a dogfight.

They are not going to be able to dodge the physical confrontations either, not that KK would shirk that side of things.
Cody’s last stand?

Yeah that’s the been the main difference with them this year imo. In fact the only game that happened to them this year was against Galway in the league where their errant shooting allowed an injury time Eanna Ryan goal snatch an undeserved victory for Galway. That defeat probably a blessing in disguise as Im sure Daly has used it as a warning to the players of how they need to break the old habits of the Dublin of yesteryear if their genuine about getting to the next level.

Also though their lack of panic stations when going behind early on or suffering early sucker punches in games has set them apart from other teams trying to make the breakthrough. It’s their cool collected calmness exemplified by their manager that has surprised me most about Dublin this year.

Avoidance is not an option but ratcheting the intensity up a la the 07 final v Limerick won’t work.
Not last stand yet, but it could be the beginning of the end for the great man.

Speed of hurling will be up 3 or 4 notches from the league final, Dublin wont stay with kilkenny when that happens and the cats will give a 2008 type performance and win by 5+ … huff and puff wont cut it this weekend I am afraid.

Joe Dooley’s resigned as Offaly manager, not really surprising, but a big bloe to the biffo’s, he had done a lot of good work.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0628/dooleyj.html

I wouldn’t be so sure of that HB, this Dublin team has plenty of steel in it. The difference will be in the accuracy of score taking and what team wastes more chances. Kilkenny should win it, but not by much.

I disagree with anyone writing off Dublin. KK are around the stage now Tyrone were in 09. But i would expect Cody to do a better job of keeping them at the top and introducing new young players, something Harte has failed miserably to do. They may win this, and only for Tipp they’d probably win one more All-Ireland, but i think they are on the decline. The big question is will Ritchie Power and others take up the leadership etc that others leave behind. The likes of TJ Reid really have to stand up consistantly and show the ability to take games by the scruff of the neck and win them. If he and a couple others get blown away, i fear for KK.

This match will actually tell a lot about where Kilkenny are.
I still believe there is a massive gap from the best 2 teams to the rest.

I think we’ll address the League final display with a dominant effort. I’m not full believer in this Dublin team yet.

Kev, while I understand your Tyrone comparison, Hurling is a bit different from football in that I think we still have some of the best hurling talent available in the country.
The Tyrone team you talk about were based a little bit more on hard work and physicality and less on skill than this Kilkenny team. If Kilkenny do not have the same level of work ethic and physicality they may not win the AI but they should be good enough for Dublin.

Dublin did not impress me much against Galway. They still shoot way too much from poor positions. If they fix that they’ll be a match for anyone. They showed a killer instinct against us in the league final that they failed to show against Offaly and Galway, allowing both teams back into it when the game should have been put to bed. This is not the same Kilkenny team that played the league final and it’s not a team to give second or third chances to.

Should be a right good game and will be by far the biggest win this modern Dublin team have had if they do it.