Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Hey Joe

:smiley:
I would know him quite well yeah.

He had the weirdest puckout of any keeper. Nearly crouched over the ball in his hand and examined it before he hit it.

They still beat one of the big three on the way to winning it, nothing more they could do on their way to winning it

I suppose Limerickā€™s win in 1973 doesnā€™t count either

Where you going with that gun in your hand?

Wexford 2004 were exceptional then, should be a popular opinion on this forum.

:clap:

:clap: :clap:

lay off him you fuckin prick :angry: how fuckin dare you slag him, he was a smashing keeper & a great servant to KK. Meant to be bang on off the pitch too - always felt he was vastly underrated & hope that he has achieved success & happiness off the field

Go on Fagan, name us a few teams ā€œabove the normā€.

Iā€™m not Joe. Heā€™d be about 10 years older than me.
And Iā€™m from the Village, not Freshford.

Micheal Ɠ muireacheartaigh used to describe his puck out as a ā€œhop skip and a launch down the fieldā€. He got some length into them.

Sound bloke. Shit keeper. Both rare traits in Kilkenny people.

Kilkenny and Tipp if they manage to beat a full Kilkenny team. The rest are sub par really.

It was no fault of Clare alright.

Limerick in 73 is a good point but being nearly 40 years ago nearly proves the point. And of course Eddie Keher was missing

Seems I touched a nerve here Sid even brought ip the 5 in a row that the gallant Offaly side so wonderousy stopped. WTF :smiley:

Sure how many breakthrough All Irelandā€™s have there been in that time
Clare 1995
Offaly 1981
Galway 1980
Limerick 1973

and after that you would probably have to go back to the Wexford and Waterford sides of the 1950ā€™s and only one other team has done it since Clare in 1995

Possibly Tipp in 1989 seeing as they had gone nearly 20 years without one, but it wasnā€™t out of the blue and needed three years to get the better of Galway

Iā€™d count Wexford in 96 as well. None of the teams beat a a big 3 team apart from Limerick who beat an enfeebled KK team. Waterford in 59 still had remnants of the 48 team who beat Dublin and Wx won their first AI in the 50s beating Galway as far as I can remember.

Any team that wins the All-Ireland is by definition above the norm, even the shit ones like Cork in '99 or Wexford in '96.

Any team that destroys the greatest team of all time in a final playing hurling of a standard that has rarely if ever been seen desreves a standing well above that, and thatā€™s without their contribution to the 2009 final which was of an arguably even higher standard, a final Tipp would more than likely have won if it wasnā€™t for Benny Dunne taking leave of his senses, Kirwan awarding a phantom penalty and PJ Ryan having the best game of his life.

Itā€™s quite simply mental to think that a team with the talent Tipp have at their disposal is not considered ā€œabove the normā€ by you.

Tipp in 89 is a good example as well seeing as they beat Antrim

Wexford defeated Kilkenny in 1996. :guns: