Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

The ideal situation for us would be to lose to Dublin by a point after having a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed in the dying seconds.

Canning might get a run?

Iā€™ll be shocked if this doesnā€™t lead a news bulletin on RTƉ at some point today.

:rolleyes:

If the Cork boys were correctly trained Joe Canning wouldnā€™t be fit to carry their towels.

Arse towel or regular towel?

@ Kev. If you accept that the strength and conditional set up of the footballers is top notch, do you think it would have changed the result of the galway match if this person was in charge of the hurlers?

We simply do not have enough players of the ability required to be competitive at this point in time and i dont see this changing anytime soon. A lot of variables/factors go into making a successful team, fitness, manager, selectors, luck etc but by far and away the most important is the players. You you had DOG/Cody etc and the best Fitness lads in charge of that Cork team it would not make them all ireland contenders.

Current Standings

1. Tipperary
  2. Kilkenny
  3. Galway
  4. Dublin
  5. Limerick
  6. Waterford

Take your pick then between Cork, Clare, Wexford, Offaly and Antrim

With Maurice Oā€™Brien scoring the winner for Dublin.

What changes has Lar Corbett made that have turned him into the best forward in the country at the moment?
While he showed flashes of brilliance in the past, itā€™s only the past 2/3 years he has really asserted himself as a top top forward? Is it more to do with improved quality around him or improvements he has made himself?

there was absoluetly nothing to show that Kevin Downes was worn out v Waterford with 15 minutes to go, especially when you consider that he covered twice as much ground and did far more hurling against Clare in the league final and still had plenty in his legs in that game when the game was in the closing stages.

two and a bit words

Eamonn O Shea

Something to do with strength and conditioning I believe.

He was fecked Chewy. He was down on his haunches at one stage with about 10/12 left when the ball was at the other end of the field.

[quote=ā€œThe Runt, post: 592479ā€]
What changes has Lar Corbett made that have turned him into the best forward in the country at the moment?
While he showed flashes of brilliance in the past, itā€™s only the past 2/3 years he has really asserted himself as a top top forward? Is it more to do with improved quality around him or improvements he has made himself?[/quote]
not just around him but throughout the whole team. if you put pat horgan in the current tipp, kk or galway team he would look a serious operator.

Who would you rather have in your side at the moment:

Lar Corbett, Henry Shefflin or Joe Canning?

Lar is more a finisher than a creator of chances. If you had him in the cork team he would look no better than horgan or paudi sull. Henry and Joe have a lot more to their games and are far better overall hurlers.

Henry I think. Just has it all, better all round game. The other two have bits and piece, really good bits and pieces mind you, but Henry is still king.

You could play Henry in all 6 forward positions and he would give you a completely different dimension in each of these, Canning has a superb first touch and lovely wrists while Lar has pace and is a finsihed but Henry makes Kilkenny tick

Were you at the match? There was a ball pucked into the corner towards the end and he could hardly walk over to it.

Yes, that all ties into my earlier point I suppose, when Tipp were an average side then Corbett was only a bit better than average. Now that Tipp are a good side he is lethal.