Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Fair fucks to the Dubs, couldn’t believe it had been so long since ye were in an all ireland semi-final.

1961 was the last final Dublin reached, there was no semi final though as Antrim didn’t participate and Galway were in Munster.

Shane Walsh was playing football pre 2009. [quote=“sid waddell, post: 592771”]
Surprised to hear Shane Walsh is as old as 28. Where was he pre-2009?

Some dirt by Regan at the end.

Waterford’s warm up is ridiculous looking.
[/quote]

The best footballer in Waterford apparently.

You doubt his Tipp-ness Farmer? Dont imagine it was his dream growing up in Tipp to wear the three castles.

Dublin have not had three castles on their jersey since and including 2004

I presume he was done wirh foolish dreams growing up by then Sid

As advised…

Haha congrats, pity its in the wrong thread though. Should have won by another 5 or 6.

Playing against one of the gutless teams I’ve ever seen in any sport at any grade. I used to think the whole thing about being ‘gutless’ was exaggerated as part of someone’s character. I always felt a lack of self belief was the real issue in these cases. After watching the Galway hurlers yesterday though I’ll have to revisit that opinion. Thought the lad that limped off seemed to have a convenient excuse too to leave the pitch. Fergal Moore maybe the only one who started that can leave with his head held high. The subs were all better than they replaced too. Management certainly made mistakes. Shane Kavanagh should have been taken off Walsh very early on and both midfielders should have been withdrawn in the first 20 mins. But there was so much fundementally wrong tactical changes wouldn’t have changed much. A complete lack of self respect, respect for their county and will to win was evident from the start.

Looks like the Galway boys didn’t want training to get in the way of race week. I fear for Waterford against Kilkenny as I do for the Dubs against Tipp. Both could turn into routs as the big 2 make their mark before the final.

I was reasonably happy with how Limerick played yesterday and wasn’t too disappointed with the loss. When it came to the crunch we just didn’t have the nerve to finish it off. Stupid wides at vital times cost us the match, whatever about conceding goals we still could have won by 3 or 4 points had we taken our chances.

Regarding the goals it had been well flagged all year on here that Hickey was a disaster waiting to happen at FB. Only for Tom Condon beside him he would have been exposed much earlier in the year. Condon was superb again yesterday
and surely worthy of a token All Star nomination.

Regarding the jeering of Niall Moran, the bulk of it from the large pocket oc Limerick fans directly behind the Limerick dug out so I’m assuming it was more aimed at management rather than the entire Limerick support turning on Niall Moran. He was very poor though.

We’ve a genuinely young team now though, Geary and Dodge only ones over 30. We need to un-earth or remodel someone into the FB and CB positions, if we can get those spots sorted we can go into next year with real optimism.

(Plus the hurling is only a bonus to a football county like Limerick)

As I have said before Galway’s game is all about physicality and dominating teams in the middle third, for the second time this championship when they came up against a team that was as big as them and were able to negate their physical threat they looked utterly inept.

[size=3][font=arial]Your not far off the mark but its not as simple as that either.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial]So many things that are wrong, it will take a brave man to come in and clean this shit up…[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=arial]There are a core group of players in this bunch in key positions who have been tried now with 3 different management teams. Fair enough McIntyre doesn’t seem to be up to much either but I think its fair to say this core bunch for one reason or another are simply not good enough to compete when the stakes are high and it might be time to move on.

Time to build from the bottom up and retain a rare few corner stones. Write off the next 3 years because this is going to take time.

Not sure who will be brave enough to come in and start the process though. [/font][/size][left][left]
[/left][/left]

McIntyre is probably limited as a coach but I wouldn’t doubt he did his utmost unlike a lot of the Galway players.

The only thing that can attempt to save Galway is for the 3 boys to put up or shut up. I mean get a new mgmt team of Lnyskey, Hayes & Lane and let them at it. They have been proved right in their comments now let them see if they can address what can be done about it rather than just giving out about it.

For me the next appointment has to be a Galway man.

Jaysus we got let off yesterday, after the first 15 minutes or so of the match I thought we were going to cruise through to the semi finals but then we just seemed to collapse and let Limerick come back at us. We will need a massive improvement for the next game and that is just to avoid being slaughtered like Waterford were.

I watched the 10 minutes of the Galway/Waterford and switched it off, what the fuck happened to Galway? I thought things had been sorted after the Dublin match and ye were going well and then that shit was served up.

Listened to Pete Finnerty on way home from Thurles yesterday and he made the same point, has to be a Galway man. I’d agree but how you sort out this mess is hard to see. Galway were a disgrace yesterday, lay down and died early in the second half which is unforgiveable. Waterford got a dream start but Galway hauled them back, two points down at HT and never came out for the second half. W’ford had 18 wides, some absolutely awful, and still managed to win by 10? Thats appallng. As KP it has to be back to basics now. There is nowhere else to go.

What credibility did McIntyre ever have really? Didn’t he manage Offaly a few years back and didn’t accomplish much?

If you are going outside the county in somewhere like Galway, then you have to go for a manager with sufficient credibility. Loughnane would have fallen into that bracket but of course that didn’t work out.

The decision to play Joe Canning on the 40 from the start yesterday was very strange, given that Waterford’s collapse against Tipp. Granted Lawlor didnt play all that match but you would have thought that the full back line would have been the first place targetted by putting your best forward in there.

I was thinking about this watching the match yesterday. Is there anyway Joe Canning took it upon himself to go out there? It was completely and utterly bizarre by the management anyway. Every ball for the first twenty minutes should have been landed on lawlors head. Waterford were fired up but a few early goals from Galway would have completely deflated them.

McIntyre has been involved in the club scene in Galway for years, training Clarinbridge to an AI Final, he’d have as much local knowledge as any Galway man.
If the raw material isn’t available, there isn’t much you can do about it. Offaly didn’t exactly pull up many trees after he left them.

Galway couldn’t get any decent ball into the forwards yesterday, Joe might as well have been sitting in the stands.
It’s easy to blame the manager after a display like that, but the players should be ashamed of themselves for the utter capitulation in the second half.

[quote=“Kinvara, post: 592802”][/size][left][left]
[/left][/left]
[/quote]

Matties time has come again.

They won the All-Ireland the year after his first term ended (which admittedly was only a year).

He isn’t a top rank inter county manager but the Galway players should take the vast majority of the blame for that.