Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Only got to see the first game yesterday but really enjoyed it. Limerick have some potential, was impressed with a number of their players and i think they have alot to work with. They really should have won. The Dubs are missing their players that are injured and are very patchy in their play, but they too have plenty more in them.

The Final pairing is a fore gone conclusion i’m afraid.

It should be noted that there was no back door in '97 only for defeated provincial finalists, so in fairness he presided over 1 championship match in that 1st term (they were beaten by 3 points by Wexford).

Clinton Hennessey must surely come under pressure after conceding yet another very soft goal yesterday

I know Waterford’s full back line was destroyed in the Munster Final so there may have been an expectation that Canning would be positioned full forward. But it was hardly a complete shock that he started left half forward given that’s where he played in the comprehensive wins against Clare and Cork. As has been said, Galway’s capitulation yesterday seemed to be down to a collective weak will rather than significant tactical fuck up.

They beat Laois by a point in the Leinster quarter final

He made at least one fantastic save though. He’s brilliant one minute and horrendous the next.

I hope he keeps his place.

I stand corrected.

I thought he made a bit of a meal of the save, it was a decent shot but far from a bullit and he had a clear view of it, you would have been disappointed if he hadn’t saved it

Not so much that he started there that surprised me, more that he stayed there for the entire game when they clearly needed goals in the second half. Minor fault in the scheme of things though, the players have to take most of the blame for that display I would have thought.

A lot of things clearly need to change for Galway. I think in the long run that they really need to be in Leinster underage. These guys are growing up not playing much intercounty championship. I think this creates a few problems. 1. They think they are better than they are because they get to all-Ireland finals by winning one game (at U21 level anyway). 2. You can get partnerships and guys getting used to playing with each other from underage teams. 3. Being involved in long underage campaigns must create a bit of mental toughness, and perhaps even a bit more pride in the jersey (though that is a phrase that I despise).

Any success Galway has is predicated on getting straight into an All Ireland semi. Club championship, minor and Under 21. The seniors haven’t had a sniff of an All Ireland final since they were put into Leinster. That’s their true position. If the clubs and underage teams had to go the same road you’d get the same result. It is a serious unfair competitive advantage that they have, especially in the club. While the Munster and Leinster county champions are hammering the shit out of each other on waterlogged pitches to select the best winter hurling team in each province, the Galway champions put their hurleys away for the winter and dust them down again at the end of February as the pitches firm up again.

I presume the likes of Offaly, Dublin & Wexford will be completely against Galway playing underage in Leinster, it would be of a huge benefit for Galway but to the detrement of the other three

dont know about that puke. I know I’d prefer to see it, the more competition the better. especially at underage, there is no point racking up trophies and having nothing to show for it. Granted it will reduce our chances of provincial wins, but seeing as our last minor was in 1985, and we won U21 in 2001 and 1996 and not much else, its not as if our trophy haul is going to be seriously affected.

Hasn’t held Dublin back at senior level to see Galway find their true level. [quote=“chewy louie, post: 592822”]

I presume the likes of Offaly, Dublin & Wexford will be completely against Galway playing underage in Leinster, it would be of a huge benefit for Galway but to the detrement of the other three
[/quote]

Don’t think it would be to our detriment at all. The more competitive games our young lads are exposed to the better. Possibly a short term loss for long term gain.

Waterford kept two 100% records alive at the weekend. Never lost to Galway in the senior championship and never lost to KK in the minor.

And of course Davy’s personal record as Waterford coach that they’ve only ever been beaten by KK and Tipp remains intact.

We also won Leinster u21s in '97 and '02, to be pedantic. I think its disappointing that the power brokers in the county are so short sighted as to oppose the inclusion of Galway in Leinster. It should really be taken out of their hands and foisted (:clap:) upon Leinster. This creating 2 evenish conferences with 5 teams in Munster, KK, Dub, Galway, Wexford, Offaly and assorted no marks in Leinster. Would remove the need to u21 All Ireland semi finals too which would free up a weekend for club activity.

Who is likely to contest McIntyre for the Galway job?

Mattie Murphy
Pete Finnerty
???

It was Dublins first senior championship win in Thurles in either hurling or football.

McIntyre has lived in Galway for more than 20 years and has had success at club level. It is
ridiculous and Jamie Redknapp esque to suggest that the next manager must be a Galway man. McIntyre is a Galway man really
and I doubt many more would know more than him about the local scene. The 3 amigos you mentioned all had a crack at being part of the
management team and all failed. Going outside failed spectacularly with Loughnane too. Guess you can only go with the best man available. But when such a shower of gutless players are involved Mourinho wouldn’t improve them. Don’t think McIntyre would be as good a coach as DOG but still he took that shower to a league title and within a point of the All Ireland champions last year when Joe Canning was fat as a fool. He might not have been all that bad.