Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 2)

They should be two interesting championships again in Munster.

Minor - the truth is we don’t really know, they’re kids. Limerick and Tipp are supposedly strong, and Cork should be fairly competitive. Clare have 6 panel members from last year if I’m correct? I know little of Waterford.

Cork were very good three years ago at minor of course, but as we have seen since the age shift, u17 results rarely translate at u20. If Cork were to correspond and win the AI at u20 this year, they would be the first to do so.
With Ben O’Connor’s absence, they seem to be having a serious problem in replacing him at 6. My guess is eventually they will fall on James Dwyer to play there, but Darragh O’Sull could be there in the first round v Waterford. A few guys who never played minor inter county are getting a go in challenge games too. Cillian Tobin is supposed to have a fairly serious injury. He’s been plagued.

I would be worried about Clare at u20 this year. They’re coming big time, and a few of their minors last year will make the step up quite quickly I suspect. Limerick, despite losing some big names from last year, could definitely improve. Langan and Fintan Fitzgerald should be very prominent for them. Tipp are hard to gauge - two weak years at minor sandwiched by the AI 2022 team. Darragh Mccarthy will be a key player for them. Waterford were decent at this age at minor level and they hold arguably the best player at this age in Munster - Patrick Fitzgerald.

I’ll go for a top 3 of Cork, Limerick and Clare but any 3 could go through.

Tipp were brutal 3 years ago at minor when hammered by Waterford and have been going very poor so far.

Will have Darragh McCarthy back from the Nenagh cbs side but he’s only one player.

Is this not the minor team that won the all Ireland a few years ago?
I Still wouldn’t have much faith in this team with the management involved

Minor team that won the all Ireland in next years team. The formation of the team has and continues to annoy, Fintans way or no way.

1 Like

Kilkenny should be decent at u20. Beaten by galway at minor 3 yrs ago. Good few of them were on the all Ireland winning panel 2 years ago. Gearóid Dunne, Joe Fitzpatrick, Harry shine, paddy Langton. Minors were beaten by laois 2 years ago but should have couple of that team.
Think they beat cork in a challenge few years ago. Looking forward to seeing offaly 20s this year.

2 Likes

Lads are at nothing here if there not talking up Offaly at u20 this year. Surely the team to beat. Wexford have an ok team but not going great so dont expect them to do much.

1 Like

I believe Wexford took a trimming off Clare in a challenge recently- were a rabble on the day

Id be somewhat surprised if Galway, Tipp and Limerick are not in the mix for this years u20.

Offaly will have a strong panel with some class hurlers and that bit of experience but there are no unknowns now with them.

Kilkenny could also snipe both but I feel theyre still rebuilding.

We’re probably going to be rebuilding at the grade given those who moved on last year but should be competitive.

While this was a fine Cork minor team and I feel young Walsh is a super talent assuming he is there Id be slightly concerned for Cork on whether theyvr hit the ceiling as high as it might be.

Who is young Walsh?

Ben presumably? Neither will be on the matchday panel anyway.

Barry Walsh I was referring to. If he isnt starting for Cork this year ye must have an extraordinary side. He would walk onto a lot of teams from what I saw of him at minor last year?

He stood out on a very average Cork team. He didn’t play when he was U-16 for the Minors so I can’t imagine he’ll be anywhere near playing this year. His cousin Ben might make the 26 and is the bigger talent afaik. Considering the forwards we have I’d say there is little hope Barry will make the bench.

It’s obviously a strong Cork team this year since the same group beat all and sundry at Minor and they’ve added the likes of Adam O’Sullivan and Timmy Wilks to that group, but they are short a 6 with Ben O’Connor gone and no obvious replacement. Will be interesting to see who they play there, from recent challenges I think they’ve started three different lads there in Darragh O’Sullivan, Daniel Murnane and Oran O’Regan which isn’t very promising.

Cork Minor Panel:

CORK (MHC panel): Jude Devoy (Aghada); Keenan Harrington (Ballinhassig); Eoghan O’Shea (Ballinhassig); Jack Hegarty (Ballnora); Michael O’Donovan (Bandon); Cormac Barry (Bride Rovers); Conor O’Brien (Buttevant); Oisín O’Connell (Carrigaline, vice-captain); Adam Lee (Carrigtwohill); Dean Cosgrave (Courcey Rovers); Jack O’Brien (Douglas); Mark O’Brien (Douglas); Kevin Beechinor (Éire Og); Eoghan Hogan (Éire Óg); Fionn Lardner (Fermoy); Luke Murphy (Barryroe); David Enright (Inniscarra); Conor Noonan (Kanturk); Denis Riordan (Kilworth); Cormac Deane (Killeagh); Colm Garde (Lisgoold); John Murphy (Mallow); Donagh Fleming (Mallow); Peter Barrett (Midleton); Cian Denis O’Connor (Millstreet); Craig O’Sullivan (Na Piarsaigh); Leo Hennessy (Ballymartle); Adam Lee (Cloyne); Conor O’Donoghue (St Finbarrs); Cathal Lowney (Tracton); Joe Twohig (Valley Rovers); Rian O’Riordan (Blackrock); Liam Kelleher (Douglas, captain); Josh Goulding (Glen Rovers); Rory Higgins (Sarsfields); Michael T. Brosnan (Glen Rovers).

Supposed to be very average and behind the likes of Clare and Limerick in Munster. Brosnan, Barrett and Deane are U-16 and supposed to be quality. One of the first two are in the running to start afaik.

Kildare after giving Laois a nice trimming in minor hurling today.

Nathin in leix only steam rallys and incest.

3 Likes

Is Derek McGrath involved with Laois still?

Under 20s I believe.

1 Like

Easier to blame Dublin, population, finances, referees, ‘county board stooks’ and pretty much everything else other than themselves for their shiteness.

4 Likes

kerry had a good win over Carlow in the minors

bit of good news for kerry hurling, hasnt been a good winter\spring

2 Likes

4 goals in the opening 16 minutes, each one grimmer than the rest. Poor keeper but he had a mare as did the full back line. They’re only chaos though so it’s disappointing to see posters having a pop about incest in relation to juveniles.