Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 2)

Two if you include the member of the management team. Lookedn like Derek but hard to tell from a distance. In true Derek style, Laois finished out the game with a sweeper despite being a man and lots and lots of points down.

Anyone elseā€™s YouTube stream gone backwards? Showing random highlights now instead of the last 5 minutes.

Itā€™s over

1 Like

Which one? Iā€™d suspect the manager.

Lost 18-14. Dublin seized the initiative to go from 11-11 to 15-11 and pushed back out to a 4-point lead when we brought it back to 2. Stuck with the containment tactics throughout even when needing a goal late on. Got a few good scores, working it forward with short passes from short puck outs but didnā€™t carry a forward threat really. Dunno if you could say we accepted our fate a bit as the second half wore on. Eoin Whelan was solid but clearly hampered by his hamstring so maybe they felt they needed an extra body back there.

Iā€™d say it was the manager. Hard to tell from across the pitch. Similar shape to Derek?
Got a yellow and red in quick succession for mouthing at the referee after a fairly blatant foul by Laois.

Yeah thats him. Iā€™m not a fan to put it mildly as @binkybarnes knows.

Carter. A nasty piece of work.

Abusing refs would not be Derekā€™s style in fairness

Saw you stroll in 5 mins late up the steps past me. Dublin the far better team on the night but poor shooting let Wex stay in the game. 35 shots to 26 I made it.

Dublin play with a sweeper which consequently gave Wex one. It made both full forward lines working off scraps. I was surprised Wex left Simon Roche in their for so long with no ball going in. He would be far better utilized further out. Rowley and the big full back were Wex best on the night.

Brendan Kenny, Jamie Conroy and Diarmuid O Dualing were best for Dublin. Theyā€™ll need improving and a goal threat if they are to beat Kk/Gal the next day out. David Purcell could provide that goal threat if played closer to goal.

5 Likes

I was at this. Both teams playing sweepers leading to a poor enough spectacle. Diarmuid o Dulainn veey good for Dublin. A lot of scores came through him. Brendan Kenny sharp looking to. Wexford got most joy from a hard running off the shoulder game. Dublin will need to improve considerably to trouble Galway or Kilkenny

1 Like

:astonished:

My life partner didnā€™t arrive home from work until 7.23pm thus causing my late arrival.

Thought Kenny was very good alright & would agree Dublin were the better side but I didnā€™t think they were significantly better.

I felt Wexford should have stuck the wing forward Andy Moran in full forward in the last quarter. Good aerial ability & might have caused problems in there.

An easy enough TFK admin spot. Bound up the steps befitting your Raheny Shamrocks top.

9 Likes

From that vantage point on the Dublin side of halfway I noticed Shane Oā€™Brien telling the Dublin bench to stop banging the dug out roof & whistling etc when Rowley was striking frees & thought to myselfā€¦that was a mighty sound gesture.

4 Likes

Rory Jacob on the line was the one that interested me. A pure proud Wexford man coaching the closest rivals of his native county. He would be teaching/taught a lot of those Wex lads in St Peters too.

2 Likes

I hurled with him in college. Nice fella. Would have never picked him to go into county management

1 Like

Iā€™m told he went for the Wexford U20 manager job, wasnā€™t selected & then accepted an invite to join Dublin management. Shane Oā€™Brien managed Oulart in the recent past, as someone confirmed above, so that must be the link. I always kinda think counties at our level could do with everyone willing & capable managing/coaching within the county but if he wasnā€™t given the job after going for itā€¦

1 Like
5 Likes

Aware of all that. I was led to believe he didnā€™t get the 20s job as the minor and senior posts were both already filled by Oulart people. Oā€™ Brien likes a ā€œbigā€ name with him. He had Francis Forde and Noel Larkin with him in Westmeath. Dictionary Derek was with him last year. They seem a well drilled side. I just wouldnā€™t be a fan of their style/set up.

1 Like

A big Celtic fan. Hail hail.

1 Like

Is TG4 YouTube not showing Clare vs Cork minors fully live? It starts at 7 but looks like their coverage starts 19:20