Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 2)

No idea. Looked like a decent crowd in the stand.

I don’t know why shine didn’t take the penalty. He buried a 21 in injury time.

‘Roughly’ 8,000 according to d’indo.

Yeah. Hearing Portlaoise.

Parnell was heaving that evening, Peader Carton was involved deep in his own half for that goal and finished it at the far end

Kilkenny lads will be kicking themselves. Missed penalty, a heap of wides and Marty crashed one of the crossbar.
Offally some lovely hurlers, Spain and King in midfield especially and rigney seemed to score every time he touched the ball.
Shine was excellent for us and big Marty caused havoc when it went in high.

1 Like

Is David Lucey full back for de dubs a nephew of Stephen Lucey (Limerick)? I am hearing so

Brecon Kavanagh was very impressive for Kilcormac-Killoughey against Naomh Éanna in Leinster last year. Like a young Tommy Walsh flying around the place. Disappointed to have missed that Offaly-Kilkenny match tonight. Do Uíbh Fhailí have any stars outside of the minor 22’ cohort? I know Charlie Mitchell was good last year but overage now. As lads have alluded to here, you need a couple of strong underage teams or a bit more of a spread than just one special group. Limerick had a nice spread across the 94’-97’ born players. The fear might be that Offaly just have the one special team.

He is indeed. A top rubby player too. Played for St Michaels and is in some sort of leinster set up.

In other not so interesting trivia Diarmuid O Dulainn is grandson of the late irish broadcaster Donnacha.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say that was about right. Maybe slightly more. There was about 1000 on the pitch at half time!
Kilkenny hit the crossbar and the post and missed a penalty but I still felt Offaly were the better team. Screeney is a class act. Bourke at centre forward caused mayhem. He and Rigney destroyed the lumbering Kilkenny half back line. The keeper and defence is decent too. Their lack of size will probably count again them again in the end.
You’d worry looking at KK underage teams from a distance. Offaly stick work was infinitely better tonight. At least all of them tonight seemed to hold the hurl properly. Hard to understand how Kieran’s so successful and county teams seem to be well off it.
On a positive note, the full back line tonight was very tidy, Murphy at full forward has a good hand and plenty of hurling for a huge man and Harry Shine was impressive. They showed great balls at the end to nearly steal it.

1 Like

Great to see all the Dublin hurlers interviewed post match ag caint as gaeilge not a bother on them.

14 Likes

Noticed James McGrath doing linesman in Portlaoise, has he returned to reffing after hanging up the whistle a few years ago?

A real endorsement of immersive language learning in the gaelscoileanna

2 Likes

Stopped him playing in the minor county final last year I think.

1 Like

No stars but the few lads up to the age are useful enough. As @Galaxy said, Spain and esp King are very good. Rigney at half forward has been scoring freely and the keeper is good.
You would fear the this is just one group in the middle of a very poor run of teams. They’re a team that is easy to like. Small in stature, but very skillful and brave. The Offaly supporters only love them

2 Likes

He reffed Wexford Offaly minor last weekend

1 Like

You are on the ball there @Aertel220 This is a great group but what is coming after this is weak enough. A bit similar to the 2021 u 20 football team what followed was weak and we really need a few good u20 sides in a row if any hope to make any impression at senior again. Easier said than done., We rode our luck for certain tonight. Dublin big and strong and will take beating next week. Dan Ravenhill a massive loss especially for his ariel ability.

2 Likes

Will Screeney and the other seniors play against Kerry on Sunday,?

They have to you’d feel

is there many aside from Screeney?