Official Fingal Dining Out Thread

The playground in the grounds is right beside Avoca and is great if you want to grab a takeaway coffee and watch the little lady play for a while. A very cheap alternative is the itsa at the main crossroads in Malahide. Not sure where you stand on soup and bagels but it has a kids area so you can have your bagel in peace and curse me under your breath.

Mac knows the score. Walk from Malahide to beautiful Portmarnock. The missus will love it, you’ll come to understand some of the overbearing smugness of the Fingal types and you can stop for a sneaky swim at Porto’s High Rock. I may well be there myself around 12 or so if my business for the day concludes successfully.

Ah Fagan, an oldie but a goldie, no?

the mango chutney bagel is sublime

Every last detail lads.

Fair play.

[quote=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 821012, member: 80”]ebeneezer goode saw a spaceship one night he was in Malahide Castle

He went to the papers about it and they did a spread on him

the cafe in the castle is meant to be brilliant but not sure if do breakfast

cafe Provence is ok as is Amore which I tend to go to as it has an AS Roma jersey hanging up[/quote]

Cafe Provence is shit! I puked up the last breakfast I was unfortunate to buy there.

…and it was a green flashing light which was witnessed above the sky. Soon after DB saw men in Sombreros walking around the village so I think it was something we both ate.

Octopussy, West Pier, Howth.
Tiny tapas restaurant that I am becoming increasingly fond of. Had DB prawn and avocado salad and Hake with clams and sherry. Washed down with a white from the Italian Tirol.
Top class.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 826509, member: 706”]Octopussy, West Pier, Howth.
Tiny tapas restaurant that I am becoming increasingly fond of. Had DB prawn and avocado salad and Hake with clams and sherry. Washed down with a white from the Italian Tirol.
Top class.[/quote]

A bit pricey though, fagan. Having said that, a fingallian does not scrimp.

Was this for lunch today?

[quote=“Juhniallio, post: 826577, member: 53”]A bit pricey though, fagan. Having said that, a fingallian does not scrimp.

Was this for lunch today?[/quote]
Dinner last night.

Deep’s (Howth Pier) seafood platter for two and a chilled bottle of Sancerre is hard bet.

Any recommendations for Sunday brunch in Howth?

Eggs are good at any time of the day but I’d have to see the menu you are looking at first, mate.

House near the church is very good.

You must be on commission there at this stage Rock.

Drove by my usual breakfast haunt, Cafe Lemonade, to go to Avoca in Malahide Castle yesterday. Got there for just after 12 but the breakfast had finished at 11:30 and they weren’t budging. Ended up having beef and huinness stew with mash and pastry lid for €15 which was steep enough for a basic enough dish. The sauce was very rich and the mash loaded with butter. Herself had a parma ham and rocket ciabatta and a scoop of coleslaw. Brought a couple of rocky roads to takeaway which were tasty enough.

Disappointed that:
a) there was no leeway on the breakfast time given that it was a bank holiday Monday and most punters would have enjoyed some form of alcoholic beverage on Sunday night causing them to sleep in
b) No sign of a Bonne Polet Femme section which seems to be in other Avocas and which make possibly the best sandwiches in Dublin

Will stick to the Rathcoole or Suffolk St branches from now on.

Went to Bon Appetit on Saturday evening. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Had a rabbit confit* to start which was delicious. She had beetroot and goat’s cheese and was delighted with it. Went for a beef fillet main course, being adventurous, and it was sublime. She had sea bass and was very fond of it. I had a blood orange and white chocolate cannelloni to finish while she had panna cotta. All accompanied by a terrific bottle of Fleurie.

Elderly couple beside us were only delighted to find fault with everything. I think Michelin Star restaurants really do attract an array of cunts, but there are none as annoying as the cunt who likes to complain so they can prove they can find fault with food that others think is excellent. Their gripe was that they ordered green beans as a side but they weren’t a suitable accompaniment for whatever they ordered and they were visibly and audibly aghast that the waiter didn’t steer them better. They got complimentary desserts and hot beverages to reward their showy fussiness but I was delighted to observe the lady left her umbrella behind.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 901540, member: 1”]Went to Bon Appetit on Saturday evening. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Had a rabbit confit* to start which was delicious. She had beetroot and goat’s cheese and was delighted with it. Went for a beef fillet main course, being adventurous, and it was sublime. She had sea bass and was very fond of it. I had a blood orange and white chocolate cannelloni to finish while she had panna cotta. All accompanied by a terrific bottle of Fleurie.

Elderly couple beside us were only delighted to find fault with everything. I think Michelin Star restaurants really do attract an array of cunts, but there are none as annoying as the cunt who likes to complain so they can prove they can find fault with food that others think is excellent. Their gripe was that they ordered green beans as a side but they weren’t a suitable accompaniment for whatever they ordered and they were visibly and audibly aghast that the waiter didn’t steer them better. They got complimentary desserts and hot beverages to reward their showy fussiness but I was delighted to observe the lady left her umbrella behind.[/quote]
Beet root and goats cheese is as common as muck in Michelin starred restaurants this season.

Dined in El Paso this evening. Lovely fresh flavours, but failed to heed the owners warnings about the habanero sauce and I am now facing a rough night.

have some full fat milk and you’ll be ok

Spud muncher not able to handle a bit of Habanero sauce:rolleyes: The likes of @Tassotti would drink pints of it for the fun of it