On this day

Wednesday April 17th, 2019. Abu Dhabi 4 Tottenham Hotspur 3 (aggregate 4-4).

1 Like

Was it the same night as Notre Dame went on fire, I thought of that game when I visited Notre dame

Notre Dame went on fire on April 15th I think.

The same night as a Bruce Springsteen concert in the RDS if I remember correctly. Half of TFK (4 people) were drunk in work the following morning

1 Like

Irish Republic was declared on this day 75 years ago.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/80s90sfootball/status/1781198193306300506

10 years ago since Steven Gerrard slipped on the Anfield turf.

1 Like

30 years ago today - Irish dancing became sexy

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0430/1046499-riverdance-thrills-eurovision-audience/

1 Like

Gerry Ryan shuffled off this mortal coil on this day in 2010

30 years to the day since he presented the Eurovision Song Contest where Ireland were as dominant as Kilkenny 2008.

Of all the mad decisions made in Rte over the years making Gerry Ryan the host of Operation Transformation was the most bizarre.

'We need a clean living host who radiates good health and wellbeing?

How’s about the obese, alcoholic, cigar chomping, cokehead Gerry Ryan?

‘The very man’.

9 Likes

Weve gone from Jean Butler to bambie thug. Says it all really

Jean wasn’t an entrant pal

2 Likes

Jean Butler is from the US, Bambie Thug is from Macroom. Strange that the anti-immigrant mob prefer the immigrant, although I suppose she’s a white immigrant so that makes it OK as far as they’re concerned.

That’s hardly the point. We’ve gone from celebrating artistry, beauty and elegance to applauding depravity. It’s a sad state of affairs.

The lad who supports genocide complaining about “applauding depravity”. Lolz.

This man is talking about the eurovision song contest.

4 Likes

A day late but just watching some of the 30-year anniversary clips of Riverdance, which aired at the interval of the Eurovision on 30 April 1994. I’m very emotional & in floods of tears here (cc @Tassotti). Gerry Ryan has passed to his eternal reward, Michael Flatley is battling serious illness, The Point Depot is called something else. Time marches (or dances?) on & forces you to reflect on your own mortality. But absolutely powerful stuff & amazing memories. After Celtic in 1967, nothing else born out of Ireland stopped the world in its tracks like this. Riverdance truly is the association football of entertainment.

1 Like

We were a proper diaspora back then

1 Like

30 (Thirty) years.

2 Likes